Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
So I've been using fastmail.fm for email for the past two or three years. For free email, it's good, but has it's limits. I've begun to transfer over to gmail, which has free smtp service, so I can start using mail.app or thunderbird. Problem is, with fastmail, you were able to use a custom from field. So for things like craigslist or other instances, I could use a spam address to weed out scammers, spammers or anyone else I didnt want to have my actual email address.

Does anyone know of a way for me to use mail or thunderbird, but to send it out and have my email address appear as something else. And honestly, this is with good intent. I'm not some spammer trying to find ways to send you emails or send death threats to people, just would like to hide my true email without having to log into ten different emails, would love the ease of one application.

thanks a ton for any help or advice!
dustin

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Just create a new account with the address you'd like as the sender's address. That should do the trick.
I don't use Thunderbird, but in Mail.app I think that's the only way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.