Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
After trying out LaunchPad Control and getting pissed off because it never retained what I did, I decided to try to tackle it without using any app.

I discovered that using "sudo chflags hidden" on apps and then reloading the database for LaunchPad makes those apps disappear. Best part is the apps are still there if the OS needs to access them for any reason, but I don't need to see them anymore. Anyway, its probably something everyone knows, but I got really excited when it worked for me...particularly since Adobe CS5.5 added like 20 uninstallers to LaunchPad. All gone now, no extra apps needed. :)

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I'm using launchpad control but I'm interested in your post. Could you give a little more detail on how its done? I guess what I'm asking is could you give an example of how its done? If its too complex thats fine I can just use "the app". Thanks

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
Let's see how easily I can explain this...Do not use any quotes in the commands below.

open Terminal and type "cd /Applications"

Type "ls" and press enter to get a list of apps.

For every app you want to hide from launchpad, simply type "sudo chflags hidden Application.app" where Application.app is whatever app you are wanting to hide.

When you're done hiding, type "rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db" into Terminal and press enter. Then type "killall Dock" and press enter. Launchpad should reload its database and reflect all your changes.

TIP: Keep in mind that especially for Adobe and Microsoft products (as well as a few system utilities) some of the paths in the Applications folder are actually directories. You will want to cd into those paths individually and hide whatever applications you deem necessary.

I have rebooted a few times just to make sure it didn't mess up at all and it all seems to be well.

Hopefully this explains things for you. Let me know if you have questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.