Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Only problem I see with the CP1000PFCLCD is that I may not be able to plug my external hard drive and router (at the same time with the other devices) as their respective transformers are rather bulky in size.(The UPS only has space for 5 plugs (battery powered), and not enough room between the plugs) In that case I would need to buy an additional power bar, although CyberPower does not endorse the use of such measure, do they? Really don't know why. Would that void their warranty?
(I would need to plug: iMac, external hard drive [bulky transformer], router [bulky transformer], modem, and perhaps a LED Cinema in the future)

Would that be a valid solution?

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
That might just be a cheap UPS that was doing that, I have an APC Smart-UPS 750, two Tripp Lite OMNISMART500's and a Tripplite SU750XL, none of which make noise when they are on battery (other than the obnoxious beeping and some major fan noise on the SU750XL), but they are all quality units. I just reread your post, I've also never heard any power supplies buzzing when on power from any of these units, or any quality unit I've used at a clients...

I'm a little over my head here, but I think if it was truly creating a sine wave under load, the power factor would be closer to 1.0 and not a rather meager .6, so I would take that "adaptive sine wave" term with a grain of salt.

Rob

A quick google on simply, "buzzing UPS Mac rumors" and you'll get quite a bit of hits just on these forums alone. The UPS you mentioned is, yes a Smart UPS, which uses the pure sine wave. I'm specifically talking about Back-UPS, which cost 3x less (and is also probably more than 3x smaller and lighter!) because they use an approximated sine wave, which is not pure. This fact has led several users to believe that this is the reason for the annoying buzzing sound. I compared the CP1500AVRLCD, which uses a standard approximated sine wave, to the newer unit, CP1500PFCLCD, which uses the new adaptive sine wave technology. The former exhibits buzzing...the latter doesn't. I should note however these reports come from Mac Pros users. I never had a chance to test my older unit with an iMac to see these computers also had issues with buzzing on back-UPS units.

Again, marketing BS aside, this adaptive sine wave unit is the only "non-pure" sine wave unit on the market, as far as I've read, that eliminates the buzzing sound altogether. Also again, I am not speaking about Smart UPS units. So it was enough for me to take notice and make the purchase.

Only problem I see with the CP1000PFCLCD is that I may not be able to plug my external hard drive and router as their respective transformers are rather bulky in size. In that case I would need to buy an additional power bar, although CyberPower does not endorse the use of such measure, do they? Really don't know why. ( I would need to plug: iMac, external hard drive, router, modem, and perhaps a LED Cinema in the future)

You can fit at least one power brick on both the battery and the surge protection sections each. You could make a compromise here, by placing the router on the surge protection side, as I think it would be better for the hard drive not to suddenly power down during a power outage.

I spoke to APC at one time and they told me that it was not recommended to start combining the two, but like I said, I've read some users do it so I'm really not sure of the danger of this myself.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
You can fit at least one power brick on both the battery and the surge protection sections each. You could make a compromise here, by placing the router on the surge protection side, as I think it would be better for the hard drive not to suddenly power down during a power outage.

I spoke to APC at one time and they told me that it was not recommended to start combining the two, but like I said, I've read some users do it so I'm really not sure of the danger of this myself.

I would need to plug on the battery side: iMac, external hard drive [bulky transformer], router [bulky transformer], modem, and perhaps a LED Cinema in the future

Using a power brick would not void their warranty would it? It's the only solution I can think of. I do need the router on the battery side as well, if power goes down, this can cut my internet connection, so it's just as important as the modem.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I would need to plug on the battery side: iMac, external hard drive [bulky transformer], router [bulky transformer], modem, and perhaps a LED Cinema in the future

Using a power brick would not void their warranty would it? It's the only solution I can think of. I do need the router on the battery side as well, if power goes down, this can cut my internet connection, so it's just as important as the modem.

Unfortunately, you'll only be able to fit one of those transformers. As for the voided warranty, it might be a good idea to email CyberPower and ask to make sure. I've had good response times from them and their customer service has been rather helpful.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Unfortunately, you'll only be able to fit one of those transformers. As for the voided warranty, it might be a good idea to email CyberPower and ask to make sure. I've had good response times from them and their customer service has been rather helpful.

Tried calling them but they are already closed, will have to do so tomorrow.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009

Just get a few of these if your wall warts don't let you plug all of them into the UPS at the same time.

My stepped-wave CyberPower UPS buzzes a teeny bit when it's running on battery power, but so what? It could sing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" for all I care if all I needed it to do was power my computer long enough for me to gracefully shut it down.

I've never seen so much hand-wringing over selecting a UPS in all my life. You're running an iMac, not a mission-critical server farm. Just get a decent stepped-wave 1000VA unit and you'll be fine. If you get one with decent voltage regulation/power conditioning (as my CyberPower and I'm sure other similarly-priced UPS's have), you certainly won't need to also use a surge protector.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Just get a few of these if your wall warts don't let you plug all of them into the UPS at the same time.

Thanks, that plug/adapter will sure come in handy.

I'm already decided, I'll get a 1000VA one, like you suggest.

Plan on leaving my iMac on all day and night, it's nice to know it will automatically shut down (even at night, in case I'm asleep :D or away. )

So here's the breakdown:

1000VA / 600W (CP1000PFCLCD)

27" iMac: 310W
Future LED Cinema: 250W
External Hard Drive: 13.5W ( I think)
Router + Modem = 20W (Aprox?)
Additional Hard Drive: 13W

Total: 606.5 W

Assuming the Devices are NOT at 100% load: <600W

Let me know what you think

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Those are cool. Didn't think about those. :)

My stepped-wave CyberPower UPS buzzes a teeny bit when it's running on battery power, but so what? It could sing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" for all I care if all I needed it to do was power my computer long enough for me to gracefully shut it down.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. But they're are also quite a bit of worried users out there, and hey, you can't really blame them. For investing in a $1000-$3000 system, all they want is some piece of mind. But is it unwarranted and overblown? Perhaps. I think it is.

Honestly, I personally would never go out now and purchase a new pure sine wave unit for my iMac, because as you mention, this isn't mission critical! I have also never come across any documented reports from users or even tech sites that say machines have PSUs that are blowing up because of stepped sine wave units. All I keep reading are positive reader reviews.

But that's also why I love these CyberPower PFC units. They seemed to find a way to make a new unit that stays affordable and also eliminates the buzzing. And even if CP didn't make these units, I still would go for one of the stepped sine wave units, like the one you have. I simply cannot justify the costs of a new pure sine wave unit at all.

I've never seen so much hand-wringing over selecting a UPS in all my life. You're running an iMac, not a mission-critical server farm. Just get a decent stepped-wave 1000VA unit and you'll be fine. If you get one with decent voltage regulation/power conditioning (as my CyberPower and I'm sure other similarly-priced UPS's have), you certainly won't need to also use a surge protector.

You obviously haven't read the countless UPS threads on the Mac Pro forums :D

Granted the iMac isn't a workstation class machine, but I think as iMacs get bigger and more complex, you'll just start to see more UPS threads pop up. I think a lot of Mac Pro users are moving over to high end iMacs because of Apple's agenda in all-in-ones.

But I think your point is valid and I do think general worries over UPSes tend to be overblown, especially with non workstation machines like the iMac.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Hey Icaras, let me know what you think of this sizing breakdown:

Here's the breakdown:

Router + Cable Modem = 20W (Aprox?)

Are my External Hard Drive, Router + Cable Modem and additional hard drive estimates accurate? Is the UPS' sizing just right?
Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Thanks, that plug/adapter will sure come in handy.

I'm already decided, I'll get a 1000VA one, like you suggest.

Plan on leaving my iMac on all day and night, it's nice to know it will automatically shut down (even at night, in case I'm asleep :D or away. )

So here's the breakdown:

Router + Modem = 20W (Aprox?)

Let me know what you think

I am willing to bet you will never hit 500 W on your UPS. Even less so if you're just getting an i5 27". The power consumption rating for the 2010 is higher than the 2011 Sandy Bridge iMacs. My machine is rated at a maximum of 365 watts, but I usually only hover at around 150-200 watts.

Also, the LED cinema display won't operate at 250W. If you look at the tech specs, its only 250W while charging a Macbook Pro, which uses an 85W magsafe adapter. So your cinema display will operate at maximum of 165 watts if you remove the MBP out of the equation. That's of course if you're running it at full brightness with all three USB ports powering devices.

But anyway, good choice! I'm sure you'll appreciate and enjoy your new UPS. :)

Edit: Not sure about your hard drive and cable modem/router estimates, as they all vary from model to model. I wouldn't worry about it. 1000VA will be more than enough.

Edit: On second look, the only thing I can compare is your modem and router...I used to have my Time Capsule and modem hooked up to the battery and it took only about 30 or less watts. But my TC also has the built in 7200 hard drive as well.

Last edited:

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Great! It all looks good then, thanks! :)

Oh, one last thing, the Batteries are user-replaceable, so they are easy to get, right?

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Great! It all looks good then, thanks! :)

Oh, one last thing, the Batteries are user-replaceable, so they are easy to get, right?

Sorry, I didn't see your last edit :p

Yep, the batteries are user replaceable and seem pretty easy from the way the PDF manual describes. It seems like a simple matter of connecting just a couple of color coded wires.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Sorry, I didn't see your last edit :p

Yep, the batteries are user replaceable and seem pretty easy from the way the PDF manual describes. It seems like a simple matter of connecting just a couple of color coded wires.

Yep, according to their website, they use a "BB Battery - HR9-12" (9AH 12V). So they should be easy to obtain (and install). In Amazon they are $33.95. http://www.amazon.com/B-B-Battery-A...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1305082226&sr=8-1

I wonder how many years they last? (3- 3 1/2 years?)

I don't have to use the USB connectivity feature if I don't want to, right? only at times where I wish to have it automatically shut down, otherwise, I can just do the shut down myself.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yep, according to their website, they use a "BB Battery - HR9-12" (9AH 12V). So they should be easy to obtain (and install). In Amazon they are $33.95. http://www.amazon.com/B-B-Battery-A...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1305082226&sr=8-1

I wonder how many years they last? (3- 3 1/2 years?)

I don't have to use the USB connectivity feature if I don't want to, right? only at times where I wish to have it automatically shut down, otherwise, I can just do the shut down myself.

Thats not a bad price for a new battery. I hope it lasts up to 5 actually.

I believe you'll need to use the USB feature if you want OSX to recognize that you're using the UPS at all and to manage it's settings in the energy saver preferences. So yes, I think you're right...I don't think OSX will follow any UPS settings (like shut down after X amount of minutes) if you're not connected to the UPS via USB. You can definitely shut down manually yourself.

I could be mistaken though as I've always had the USB connected.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Oh, one more thing I forgot to ask:

If I'm running a Windows 7 Virtual Machine (through Parallels), I assume there's a way to quickly shut it down (without applying any sort of system updates) as to have enough time to power down everything, including OS X

Last edited:

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010

Sorry, my bad :eek:

Haven't checked, but do you know if I'm running a Windows 7 Virtual Machine (through Parallels),there's a way to do a quick shut down (without applying any sort of system updates) as to have enough time to power down everything, including OS X

bacan1

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
CyberPower doesn't wake sleeping iMac

I have a new 2011 iMac 27" which is plugged into a CP 1350PFCLCD UPS. When the iMac is on and running, it connects perfectly to the UPS and I'm notified whenever there is a power failure. However, if the iMac is in sleep mode, the UPS doesn't wake the iMac.

I'm concerned because I had hoped to leave my iMac in sleep mode when I'm not around, and I want it to wake up and then shut down properly if there's a power failure.

Any suggestions? Is it worth switching to an APC unit or would I have the same problem?

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Hmm, too late, I already ordered my CP1000PFCLCD, I don't think it'll be an issue.

Icaras, have you experienced this issue? what can be done about it?

There's gotta be a way to fix this, right?

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I have a new 2011 iMac 27" which is plugged into a CP 1350PFCLCD UPS. When the iMac is on and running, it connects perfectly to the UPS and I'm notified whenever there is a power failure. However, if the iMac is in sleep mode, the UPS doesn't wake the iMac.

I'm concerned because I had hoped to leave my iMac in sleep mode when I'm not around, and I want it to wake up and then shut down properly if there's a power failure.

Any suggestions? Is it worth switching to an APC unit or would I have the same problem?

Hmm, too late, I already ordered my CP1000PFCLCD, I don't think it'll be an issue.

Icaras, have you experienced this issue? what can be done about it?

There's gotta be a way to fix this, right?

Interesting...Tested this myself for the first time just now as well and had the same result...iMac didn't wake up...Though my UPS read about 170 minutes of run time, which should last through most power outages anyway, right?

A quick search and someone in MR also mentioned this before:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/665393/

And I'm not sure how much info you can extract from this issue, but Mac Pro users had an issue with overload surge during sleep:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/685213?start=0&tstart=0

Here's another:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/7219739#7219739

On the second page on the second link, it seems that their APC units are waking up their Mac Pros, so this could be a problem with CyberPower, or it could be isolated to iMacs even? Anyway, It might be a good idea to email or call them about this.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Also, this was discussed on my first thread about these units on page 3:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1024208/

Check out Nanofrog's advice about midway through the page and go from there. It's been a year so I don't remember the specifics of the issue, but apparently it doesn't seem to be just isolated to either CyberPower units or iMacs, as the user Dissolve is reporting that issue has it on his Mac Pro (won't wake up) using an APC UPS.

Unfortunately, I don't think his issue was resolved either.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Already ordered my CP1000PFCLCD, I don't think I'll cancel it, as it was a GOOD choice. Good thing the UPS has an alarm, that would wake me up in case of a power-out during night. Maybe I'll try to call CyberPower, any other known fix?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Already ordered my CP1000PFCLCD, I don't think I'll cancel it, as it was a GOOD choice. Good thing the UPS has an alarm, that would wake me up in case of a power-out during night. Maybe I'll try to call CyberPower, any other known fix?

Well I emailed CP about it and I'll make sure to update if I get an answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.