Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goffredo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
I just jailbroke my iPhone 5s 8.4 using the Mac version of Taig 1.0, which I downloaded from http://res.taig.com/installer/mac/TaiGjailbreak_V100.dmg; it seemed to work fine, and eventually installed Cydia; upon launching, it "prepared" my filesystem for a minute or two, and rebooted. So far, so good.

When I launch Cydia, it doesn't seem to work as I expect:

• Search does not work. If I type 'Barrel', I don't have any items in the list. If I then hit 'Search', nothing happens.
  • If I tap on an application (for example, a 'Featured' tool), it gives me a "Cannot Locate Package" error; I would expect it to show details about the app, and offer an install link
  • 'Source' tab reveals 5 items I've never installed and have no knowledge of (apt.saurik.com, BigBoss, ModMyi.com, repo666, ZodTTD)
  • 'Installed' tab reveals several dozen apps under 'User' (APT, Base Structure, BigBoss, BASH, bzip2, etc)

What did I do wrong? It's as if I'm using someone else's Cydia config, but without the actual apps/source. This phone has never been jailbroken, and I've never used Cydia on it. I very recently did a clean install of 8.4 thru iTunes, deleting all the old stuff off of it.

Confused! Thanks for your help.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
  • 'Source' tab reveals 5 items I've never installed and have no knowledge of (apt.saurik.com, BigBoss, ModMyi.com, repo666, ZodTTD)
  • 'Installed' tab reveals several dozen apps under 'User' (APT, Base Structure, BigBoss, BASH, bzip2, etc)
Well I can help with the last two on the list. These: apt.saurik.com, BigBoss, ModMyi.com, repo666, ZodTTD are default repos. Cydia has to get it's content from somewhere so it has default repos that install with the app.

When you install Cydia it also needs supporting packages to enable it to function and to enable your jailbreak to function. The things you list are necessary for the system. Your jailbreak itself should also show as a tweak. Nothing nefarious here.

As to the other problems, try rebooting one more time.

goffredo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
UPDATE: Fourth reboot seemed to fix it. At least, I can install stuff now; I suspect the dozen or so pre-installed things showing up are probably just part of Cydia, they look like typical utils that would comprise a base app platform (bzip, grep, etc).

Ah - for some reason, I thought 'sources' was 'the source code for some stuff'. Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. The Cydia install is still totally borked, though. :(

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ah - for some reason, I thought 'sources' was 'the source code for some stuff'. Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. The Cydia install is still totally borked, though. :(
Try rejailbreaking. That may clear it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.