Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Oooohhhh, I wonder if that is O2 worldwide? Because if it is then this WILL impact Apple's sales as O2 is massive, in the UK it's one of the most major carriers and constantly advertises, so it's actually Apple's loss. And O2 will still continue to sell, and if a group as big as them have stated Apple's business terms are not goo, then that is most certainly possibly stating something bad about Apple and it's demands, and it's not the first time we've heard that!

If it was, which it isn't, then it would first of all massively impact O2's sales.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Verizon is not the largest by customer base, area covered or speed. It's the largest in the US, but that isn't saying much. Areas that have usable 4G/LTE don't have a lot of iP users.

I think you may have blinked while this was happening. :) Verizon area coverage now encompasses 165 cities and 186 million people. Who's coverage area is bigger? Europe seems to be behind the curve other than Scandinavia and rural Germany.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This story does not Czech out.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Apple just needs to buy some telecoms and start offering its own service.
They could kill voice service and basically make it just a data service (VOIP for phone calls)

I think that’s their long term plan, or at least it was not sure if Tim will have quite the same obsession about controlling the whole experience.

The continuing build out of Apple stores are a perfect sleeper for creating a nation-wide network of 802.22 wifi networks. 802.22 has a 60-70 mile radius, and a few years ago Apple claimed something like stores were now within an hour of 200 million Americans. Throw Starbucks in to the mix and all of sudden you probably cover 95% of America.

FaceTime and iMessage are the first two test cases. They get to stress test the network and their servers while relying on the mobile network providers to shoulder the burden of “reliable” connections.

We’ve started to see the transition with the selling of iPhones unlocked, first a few months after they were released. Now we’re seeing them released day and date with contract encumbered phones. The next logical step is implementing the patent applied for (received?) for mobile operators competing to provide you the best rate. It will work for a time as a fallback with customers buying pay as you go minutes for those times when the Apple network doesn’t reach them or they’re in another country. It’ll probably happen with the iPod touch first.

I get the sense Apple loathes their mobile partners nickel and diming their customers with things like charging extra for tethering or the absurd text messaging fees.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Verizon is not the largest by customer base, area covered or speed. It's the largest in the US, but that isn't saying much. Areas that have usable 4G/LTE don't have a lot of iP users.

Which of the entities on this list has a larger LTE network?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Verizon is in over 140 markets in the US that 2/3 of the population can access. The US is a lot further ahead in terms of 4G adoption than it was with 3G adoption.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I think you may have blinked while this was happening. :) Verizon area coverage now encompasses 165 cities and 186 million people. Who's coverage area is bigger? Europe seems to be behind the curve other than Scandinavia and rural Germany.

lol at coverage area ... look at subscriber numbers. coverage area (in terms of people or area) is useless if no one pays for it.

also, one could easily argue that the speeds offered by Verizon are barely out of the 3G range. for example, TeliaSonera offers 80Mb/s service, what does Verizon offer?

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Oooohhhh, I wonder if that is O2 worldwide? Because if it is then this WILL impact Apple's sales as O2 is massive, in the UK it's one of the most major carriers and constantly advertises, so it's actually Apple's loss. And O2 will still continue to sell, and if a group as big as them have stated Apple's business terms are not goo, then that is most certainly possibly stating something bad about Apple and it's demands, and it's not the first time we've heard that!

Well, I don't think so. The O2's czech branch is greedy as hell. Much greedier than its West European branches, and even more than the Slovakian one. They offer overpriced services and seriously overpriced phones. For example, they still offer iPhone 4 16GB for more than 16000 CZK, which is about 875 USD. With 2-year contract w/ monthly bill about 125 USD, you can get it for like 600 USD. That's gross, isn't it.

They massively advertise Android based devices, but I haven't seen any CZ O2's iPhone ad since they introduced iPhone 3G in 2008 (which was available for a fraction of the nowadays' iPhone 4's price). I remember, I got my 3G back then for only 1 (One) CZK!

I think they just don't want to sell iPhones for a reasonable price (which is what Apple probably want them to do), 'cause they wouldn't profit on it as much as on some Androids and/or people wouldn't want Androids anymore if iPhone was similarly priced.

Shame on you, telefónica!

igorleandro

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
I just hope that those who want to have an iPhone won't go shy or stupid thinking that they are locked to a carrier.

Apple was the FIRST AND ONLY manufacturer so far to work in favor of customers, before that, it was all about manufacturers and carriers and THEN customers.

Good luck with your market share loss O2.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
Seems they have picked their demographic. Most people buy an Android phone over an iPhone for one reason; price. By choosing to concentrate on Android handsets they are targeting the 'budget conscious' customer. I can't understand the mention of Symbian though. Symbian is dead and buried.
Its s decision I expect someone will get the sack for.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
You're saying that not selling an iPhone isn't going to affect O2 negatively?

The iPhone is not nearly as popular in Europe as it is in the US. Symbian and Android are extremely popular there. The same goes for apple market share of Computer sold in Europe.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
The iPhone is not nearly as popular in Europe as it is in the US. Symbian and Android are extremely popular there. The same goes for apple market share of Computer sold in Europe.

That's irrelevant. The person I was responding to said that saying "their loss" made no sense. Sure it does. It is O2's loss. That doesn't mean O2 is going to crumble into themselves and be forced into bankruptcy. But not selling the iPhone when their competitors are is their loss.

----------

The only fact is that O2 won't sell iPhone, will it hurt their customer base or revenues? Perhaps.

Will hurt Apple revenue in Czech Republic? Perhaps

Thanks for agreeing with me.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
O2 sells more than just iToys, and in more countries. So the effect of this decision is much smaller than many people think.

More info:
http://www.o2.com/

I think you thought something far more sinister then what was actually said. No one said O2 was going to go bankrupt and fade into oblivion. Here's what was said...can you deny that any of that is true?

LTD said:
Their loss. iPhone demand is exploding. The Christmas quarter will bear this out. Those wanting one will simply look elsewhere.

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011

Sure it is. It's just more expensive.

For example. http://store.apple.com/at

Prices in euros are about the same as prices in dollars. Sure, there's VAT, but its still 20-30% more expensive, with most of the countries having lower wages and BDP per capita.

In Croatia, where i live, the base 13'' macbook pro costs $1800, a ful 50% more. Our average net monthly salary is around $700-800. An average person in the US can buy 2-3 MBPs with a monthly salary (not every month after living expenses, just as a number), we can buy one with 2-3 average salaries. In western Europe it's a bit different, but it's still more expensive than in the US.

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Their loss. iPhone demand is exploding. The Christmas quarter will bear this out. Those wanting one will simply look elsewhere.

They're a business just like Apple is, I think they've considered the cost of not offering it against how much they'd end up giving to Apple for the privilage.

They can quite simply make more money elsewhere. That's how businesses actually work, so it's actually their gain.

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
I just hope that those who want to have an iPhone won't go shy or stupid thinking that they are locked to a carrier.

Apple was the FIRST AND ONLY manufacturer so far to work in favor of customers, before that, it was all about manufacturers and carriers and THEN customers.

Good luck with your market share loss O2.

Umm no, nobody in the mobile sector thinks about the customer first. Just try and switch contracts and see how much 'choice' there is. Pretty much all doling out the same contracts. And what about if your phone is stolen? The networks will happily charge you an unlimited amount even if you happen to be deaf and only use text historically.

Apple take a slice of your contract revenue, so they are not acting in your interests. They have also consistently been behind the curve in terms of feature set compared to competitors.

Everyone in the mobile business - including Apple - are in it to make money, the customer is always last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.