Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
Anyone see that verizon commercial where the kids get the enV phone from verizon and he asks something like what did dad get. It sure sounds like he says dad got hoes.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Wouldn't it be hos?

Lest we think dad intends to do some tilling of the earth (Read: some hoeing)?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Does anyone else think this guy sounds like the voice behind Cleveland in "Family Guy"?

Somewhat. But I was watching some of the behind the scenes stuff on one of the Family Guy DVD's, and leaned something somewhat disturbing. There isn't a single black person on the writing staff, not even the vocalist for Cleveland. Given the amount of racist jokes, I had taken them as tongue in cheek. But when it's just a bunch of white people making jokes about 'racism', it's somehow not as funny anymore...

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
That is exactly what I thought he said! I busted out laughing. But then my sister clarified it. It was good while it lasted, and I keep thinking he says that.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Somewhat. But I was watching some of the behind the scenes stuff on one of the Family Guy DVD's, and leaned something somewhat disturbing. There isn't a single black person on the writing staff, not even the vocalist for Cleveland. Given the amount of racist jokes, I had taken them as tongue in cheek. But when it's just a bunch of white people making jokes about 'racism', it's somehow not as funny anymore...

Interesting....what about the staff of Southpark?

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
I didn't think that black people use the word "hosed" anyway:confused: . But that is what he says in the commercial.

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
Maybe they were trying to broaden their market. :D Mmm, now I'm trying to think if I've heard a black man say "hosed." ;)

lol. Maybe they used the word "hosed" on purpose to create a buzz and make people talk about it. No one can call it racism or anything, but at the same time we can wonder if he said "hoes", "hos", "hosed", etc. Very clever by the marketing people. Or just dumb luck :).

Either way, lots of people are now talking about Verizon because of "hoes". Ahem, I mean "hosed". :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmmm. :confused: lol.

I don't think there's been consistency about it. ;) Maybe at the World Summit of Hip-Hop Artists at the Hague in 2008, we'll get some final answers. God knows hip-hop has needed an international steering committee for some time! :D

My other observation is that, if I had text messaging when I was in grade school, I would have gotten so little work done. :eek: And my parents would've been very upset about the bill! ;)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Under the dashboard dictionary, only the word "ho" comes up as prostitute. Hoe just comes up as the gardening device.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

Why? Can black people only make black jokes, and white people only make white jokes, and christians only make christian jokes and hindus only make hindu jokes?

Look at the writers for TV shows and movies and they'll mostly be white males. It's not like Family Guy is unique in this aspect.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.