Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avingochea

macrumors member
Original poster
Can somebody please help me with this? I found this page online to run the Calibre server as a daemon using applescript; I can't seem to save the file, however. When I try to compile the applescript i get error "Syntax Error - Expected end of line, etc. but found unknown token." with that period on the second line highlited ". /etc/rc.common"

Any help would be appreciated

http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/wiki/OSXDaemon

avingochea

macrumors member
Original poster
Just tried it, and still don't get it... Would somebody be willing to stupify these instructions? I saved the two files it said to, changed the permissions to 755 and 644 for Shell Script & Plist files respectively, nothing happened though when I restarted the computer...

killer54291

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
How about this. Type this in Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and reply with the output. You have to replace the stuff.
Code:
su librarian -c "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-serve\                                                                                                        
        --username=<some name> \                                                                                                                                                        
        --password=<something> \                                                                                                                                                        
        --port=9903 \                                                                                                                                                                   
        --max-opds-items=100 \                                                                                                                                                          
        --with-library=/Calibre \                                                                                                                                                       
        --pidfile=/Calibre/calibre-server.pid

By the way, I hope you know the URL is http://localhost:9903/ as set in the options. It's not http://localhost:8080

Edit: Plus, in that command and in the script it's running "calibre-serve" while, at least in version 0.8.24, the executable is "calibre-server". Nonetheless, try the above.

Should say command not found. In which case, run this:
Code:
su librarian -c "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-server\                                                                                                        
        --username=<some name> \                                                                                                                                                        
        --password=<something> \                                                                                                                                                        
        --port=9903 \                                                                                                                                                                   
        --max-opds-items=100 \                                                                                                                                                          
        --with-library=/Calibre \                                                                                                                                                       
        --pidfile=/Calibre/calibre-server.pid
Now it should show some output. If it says "command not found" again, move calibre.app to /Applications. Then try. And make sure your calibre library location is set to /Calibre.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.