Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

storo3005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2021
Hi all,
I hope someone has a good answer for me on this.

We have a large 512x896 videoboard in our gym.

We have connected an HDMI into our controller and out to an ipad with a lightning convertor. Our hope is to be able to use it to function as a "live" look at our events - fun things with fans, Dance Cam, "kiss cam", etc.

The issue I'm having is that most apps are not allowing it to be a horizontal view even when it's clearly filming in horizontal view while I hold the ipad as such. It is staying vertical and taking up a tiny portion of the video board.

The other issue is that it's not taking up the entire screen, which I can live with, but wasn't sure if there were any solutions.

Beyond those 2 issues, does anyone have any great filtering apps for "streaming" live video from an ipad? Apps that will get projected as a horizontal view, additionally.

THANKS!

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Have you tried rotating and locking the orientation of the iPad to horizontal before plugging in the HDMI adapter?

If you have strong WiFi, something else you could consider is plugging a Mac or PC running NDI Video monitor app into the display and run the NDI camera app on the iPad. The NDI camera app allows you to stream very high quality video wirelessly with very little delay. The camera app is a little pricey at $20, but the rest of the tools are free. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ndi-hx-camera/id1477266080

If you do a search, there are a bunch of videos on how to use setup the NDI as a virtual webcam, but the tools also include a video monitor app that can mirror the video feed full screen.

storo3005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2021
Have you tried rotating and locking the orientation of the iPad to horizontal before plugging in the HDMI adapter?

If you have strong WiFi, something else you could consider is plugging a Mac or PC running NDI Video monitor app into the display and run the NDI camera app on the iPad. The NDI camera app allows you to stream very high quality video wirelessly with very little delay. The camera app is a little pricey at $20, but the rest of the tools are free. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ndi-hx-camera/id1477266080

If you do a search, there are a bunch of videos on how to use setup the NDI as a virtual webcam, but the tools also include a video monitor app that can mirror the video feed full screen.

Did you try a regular camera?

Thanks guys.

Yes, I’ve tried everything with that Filto app. The thing is we want to use it as an in-game outlet, and be able to use some different filters.

That NDI looks great, but can you customize the screen?

We haven’t tried a regular camera, as I’m not sure how we’d use filters on that.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
That NDI looks great, but can you customize the screen?

There is an App called OBS, it is used by many streamers on YouTube/Twitch etc. It is basically a live video mixing and compositing application that has built in recording and streaming capabilities. Most use it for streaming, but you can also open what is called fullscreen projector to any attached display, showing what you have mixed. There is a plugin for OBS that allows you to use an NDI stream as an input. You can filter, layer and composite graphics on top of that. However, control of all of that is at the computer running OBS, the iPad is essentially just a camera.

This is a good explanation of setting up the NDI camera and OBS:

There are a ton of tutorial out there on OBS that will teach you how to add graphics and effects that are just a search away too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.