Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Nothing has changed for me. Anand tech is still my number 1 research and reference for gadgets. I see nothing in their testing procedures that leads me to believe they cannot be trusted to supply quality and highly informative reviews.
You confuse hard number facts for opinions in the review I am referencing. They gave the 6S a Gold review based on opinions, not facts. Which shows a personal bias on their part.
And that is why I no longer reference AnandTech as an unbiased reviewer. Their opinions are completely biased. Hence, my lack of faith in their reviews. I can still use their benchmarks as factual points though (until it is proven they falsify them.)

Reactions: mrex and jamezr

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You confuse hard number facts for opinions in the review I am referencing. They gave the 6S a Gold review based on opinions, not facts. Which shows a personal bias on their part.
And that is why I no longer reference AnandTech as an unbiased reviewer. Their opinions are completely biased. Hence, my lack of faith in their reviews. I can still use their benchmarks as factual points though (until it is proven they falsify them.)
Not different than for example, car and driver giving the car of the year award based on opinion combined with factual data. Or Zagat giving out the stars. I suppose every review piece across the globe exhibits a bias then.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
How exactly can a review write an opinion on something which pleases everybody and can't be considered biased by some?

You don't like the iPhone and are well known for that, so not liking a review that does, is not surprising. Your opinion is biased too lol.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I think anandtech is really impressed with the internal upgrades. The a9 is a beast that is benchmarking like desktop class performance, the gpu is tops as well, and the storage speeds are basically ssd like with the new controller. To those that say specs matter well Apple basically addressed and exceeded expectations of what people thought the 6s/6s plus would have. The camera is among tops imo so overall I see why it got the gold choice.

Every review has bias but it can have merit too.

Reactions: Hal~9000

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Also I'm still out on the jury of the 6S camera performance, I have taken a few shots of my dog where the age old iPhone problem rears it's head where the fur comes out as a blurry mess, the Note 5 I had didn't have this problem. But I need to test it further.

If anyone has any tips on how to get better photos with the iPhone 6S then let me know, I want to keep it.

There was a recent thread discussing the 6s camera, and some of the posts there include suggestions for using third party camera software.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-camera-worse-than-5s-pics.1922907/page-10

Reactions: gotluck and apolloa

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
How exactly can a review write an opinion on something which pleases everybody and can't be considered biased by some?

You don't like the iPhone and are well known for that, so not liking a review that does, is not surprising. Your opinion is biased too lol.
They didn't write a review of a product. They gave the 6S a Gold star rating based on opinions, not facts.
BTW, not sure where you get that I am well known for hating the iPhone. The Apple Watch, yes. The iPhone, no. If that were the case, why would I have purchased a 6 and 6+?

And I'm not a blogger or reviewer online. I can voice personal opinion. People don't read my reviews prior to purchasing a device looking for specs and data, now do they?

Reactions: mrex and khha4113

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
They didn't write a review of a product. They gave the 6S a Gold star rating based on opinions, not facts.
BTW, not sure where you get that I am well known for hating the iPhone. The Apple Watch, yes. The iPhone, no. If that were the case, why would I have purchased a 6 and 6+?

And I'm not a blogger or reviewer online. I can voice personal opinion. People don't read my reviews prior to purchasing a device looking for specs and data, now do they?
It's my perception of you from reading many of your posts. Owning or claiming to own an iPhone means nothing on MR. We have people who own them and spend much of their time writing about how crap it is, bizarrely. I just don't know what to believe, nor do I understand it.

As I said a few days ago though, reviewers do have opinions too though.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I haven't read all the review but they are cherry picking memory benchmarks and not using the right test to bench the full band with of the gs6 and note 5 they are bottle necking it and chose an app that is not using the full power of its memory controller.

The note 5 breaks 440 mb sec seq read speeds and can push 8 threads through its memory controller

Here is a proper test done on my official firmware no custom mods 100% bone stock gs6.I got well over 300mb per second not the 208 annand quotes.

They also purposly used a tiny file to help give the iphones memory controller the edge in its test.

The standard to run nand benchs is 32 and 64 mb files.the are so baised its not funny.

Screenshot_2015-11-06-19-57-57.png

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
every review will have people disagreeing about it.

I love my 6S plus. I think it's the best phone out there for me. It's very dependable and I know chances are it will never go wrong. There is no lag and I don't expect there ever will be any.

My S6 edge is a laggy mess so for me iphone and apple is the way to go.

I will be selling my S6 edge this weekend. Partly due to not using it and another to help my savings.

What works for me won't work for many others. Many love the android experience and thats great.

I think the best option on android would be the pure android. I really like the look of the new nexus. I love tech so I will praise any device that I think is great. There are alot of great devices out there that suits different people's needs at the end of the day.

I have an ipad, macbook and iphone so for me everything syncs perfectly. It works great and I love imessage now that my girlfriend has the new 6S it is ideal

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

You've never given an opinion as to what phone to buy in any thread, ever? Somebody could base a buying decision on your (potentially biased) opinion. I'm not going to run out and buy another iphone 6S because anandtech gave it a gold review. 13 million bought the 6s launch day weekend before the review. Every review has some bias, I still can see where they have more or less bias than any other review who makes a "recommendation". In the day it was said Car and Driver was a subsidiary of BMW for example.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
No...

"Anandtech pretty much destroyed the rest of the credibility they had left."

Sent from my iphone 6s+ using Tapatalk.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Can anybody list websites that review smartphones and do not bias towards iPhones or Androids (especially Samsung devices)?

By the way, I agree that some aspects of the iPhone 6s are at the top of the charts (such as the processor, video-stabilization, and Touch-ID), but I disagree about things such as the screen resolution, low-light camera performance, battery life, and the large-bezeled design as contributing factors towards a "perfect phone", since Apple definitely needs to work on improving those in the next iPhone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The best site (imo) is the Mobiletechreview. I always check if Lisa had made a review of item X.

This explains it quite well why some of the (obviously for a good reason) sites are called as i-sites:
http://www.cultofmac.com/255618/how-apples-blacklist-manipulates-the-press/
Click-bait as all companies "manipulate" the press. Enron? Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC ? There's a certain naivety if there's the thought apple is only one that wants to use the press to their own advantage. Having said that Anandtech has quite a following even though I am only on the site occasionally. That they write reviews and award silver, bronze and gold doesn't make them unique and that the sites veracity is questioned in online forums doesn't make them unique either.

Reactions: TechGod
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.