Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
There's been at least 5 threads to address this since June. Try a search next time.
Lol the list is quite funny actually:

Dark Mode
More evidence that "Dark Mode" is coming
Dark mode & quick reply
Dark mode keyboard?
Dark Mode
iOS 10 Dark mode to likely appear later in development
Enough with Dark Mode, it isn't possible!
Why I Suspect Dark Mode is Coming
Dark mode?

I want to add one that's Dark Mode!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My thoughts, in order of likelihood:
  • At the iPhone 7 event in 2017 (OLED)
  • The iOS 11 WWDC event next summer (less of a surprise for the iPhone 7, but gives devs time to implement)
  • iOS 10.x update, sometime between late autumn and early spring
  • iPhone 6SE event
It makes most sense to wait until the iPhone gets OLED, like the Watch, which benefits greatly from the battery life savings. My money is pretty evenly split between the iPhone 7 event and WWDC 2017. Depends on if they're wanting to surprise. They could try to surprise this year since they started implementing some of it already, but I think they shelved it. It would suck if it's exclusive to OLED iPhones though.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
This is just my personal opinion coming from a dev. I would like a Dark Mode API, but I reallly don't know how Applee would make it work. My specific app that I have would not look good with Apples current use of Dark Mode (Alarm Clock). I honestly think they would have to let devs choose from a color pallet or another forum of choosing colors. My Dark mode would look better with darker blues then blacks and oranges.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
This is just my personal opinion coming from a dev. I would like a Dark Mode API, but I reallly don't know how Applee would make it work. My specific app that I have would not look good with Apples current use of Dark Mode (Alarm Clock). I honestly think they would have to let devs choose from a color pallet or another forum of choosing colors. My Dark mode would look better with darker blues then blacks and oranges.
I'm not assuming that's it's easy. I'm assuming that Apple could make it straight forward for simple apps like MacTracker or Workflow that are mainly table views. That's why I think it would be opt-in. Apple knows that some apps won't look good with a simple invert of the colors and that some devs won't want to put the effort into a dark mode (either as an aesthetic preference or desire to code their own dark mode color scheme).
I'm not technically a dev yet because I haven't written any code but I am learning Swift to be able to make an app for iPhone and Watch. I'm learning that Apple makes frameworks that are flexible and do a lot of the work for you at least at for the simple apps.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I think in order to implement it in a battery conscious way, they'll wait for OLED which handles dark colors with less of a battery hit.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Few people appreciate just how little said "Dark Mode" would actually accomplish the way developers do. Or anyone that works in UI design.

Not all devs are the least bit interested in creating a black or dark grey alternate UI for their App. And most Apps will just ignore it entirely.

There are numerous people here who simply refuse to accept these realities, and yet...where is Dark Mode? If it were as straightforward as the pretenders pretend, it would be here already.

I think "Dark Mode" is very unlikely. What is likely however is a new UI for iOS when OLED iPhones are finally released. One look at the black in the Apple Watch UI should give you an idea of where it will be going. And not just a mode. The entire UI.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Few people appreciate just how little said "Dark Mode" would actually accomplish the way developers do. Or anyone that works in UI design.

Not all devs are the least bit interested in creating a black or dark grey alternate UI for their App. And most Apps will just ignore it entirely.

There are numerous people here who simply refuse to accept these realities, and yet...where is Dark Mode? If it were as straightforward as the pretenders pretend, it would be here already.

I think "Dark Mode" is very unlikely. What is likely however is a new UI for iOS when OLED iPhones are finally released. One look at the black in the Apple Watch UI should give you an idea of where it will be going. And not just a mode. The entire UI.
For many people just the Apple default apps using dark mode would already be enough of an improvement. They've certainly done it with the Clock app in iOS 10, and various other OSs have done it, so it's something that is doable (even if it's not perfect or doesn't apply to 3rd party apps until they support it or anything like that).

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
For many people just the Apple default apps using dark mode would already be enough of an improvement. They've certainly done it with the Clock app in iOS 10, and various other OSs have done it, so it's something that is doable (even if it's not perfect or doesn't apply to 3rd party apps until they support it or anything like that).
While that is allegedly acceptable to "many people", I can tell you as someone who a) works for a software company and designs software for a living, and b) generally has a good understanding of how other software companies do their thing too...that such would be considered an inadequate effort, and would not make it to production.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
While that is allegedly acceptable to "many people", I can tell you as someone who a) works for a software company and designs software for a living, and b) generally has a good understanding of how other software companies do their thing too...that such would be considered an inadequate effort, and would not make it to production.
Certainly been aroun in various other mobile OSs for some time and has been adequate to be in production. Dark mode in OS X/macOS does even less, and yet it's there and seems to be adequate enough to be in production. If they even take invert colors option and just adjust it to not to apply to images/videos, just that would basically do just fine for many. Ultimately it's all just an optional setting (unless somehow implemented otherwise).

Last edited:
Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
image.png

Jailbreaking is simply great.

Reactions: LordQ

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
anyone think iOS 10 will get Dark Mode soon?

I certainly hope so, but only those in the specific Apple Dev team know for sure.

View attachment 646598

Jailbreaking is simply great.

Until someone hacks your phone, Grabs all your personal info including your location and takes control of your mic & camera effectively bugging you in the process.

- Screenshot looks great though :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I certainly hope so, but only those in the specific Apple Dev team know for sure.

Until someone hacks your phone, Grabs all your personal info including your location and takes control of your mic & camera effectively bugging you in the process.

- Screenshot looks great though :)
Seems like non-jailbroken phones were able to be hacked for quite a while due to some exploits that just got patched. So that commentary is basically neither here nor there.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Seems like non-jailbroken phones were able to be hacked for quite a while due to some exploits that just got patched. So that commentary is basically neither here nor there.

With the sophistication of hackers today and the money being thrown at it by Governments, corporates and criminal enterprise, nothing is perfect.

The risk is increased, however, by jailbreaking.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With the sophistication of hackers today and the money being thrown at it by Governments, corporates and criminal enterprise, nothing is perfect.

The risk is increased, however, by jailbreaking.
Not necessarily, it mostly depends on the end user and how they deal with their devices, jailbroken or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.