Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
There's a process running right now called "Database Daemon" and has a little icon that looks like Entourage. What is this? And is there a way to not need it running? I don't even use Entourage, just Word and sometimes Excel and Powerpoint. But since its a PowerPC app, it takes up almost 10MB of real memory. Not a whole lot, but that's almost as much as an actual running app, and if I don't need it running, I want my 10MB or RAM back for something more useful.

Hicks.

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
UK
I second this! Anybody any idea? (sorry to bring up an old thread- but at least it proves I searched :D )

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
It might be a normal part of a MS. When ever a MS product is launched, it comes into existence. Killing it after closing Word doesn’t seem to do harm. It also looks like it pages out when idle. When I launch Nissus Write, the program doesn’t come into existence. I bet it is part of the beautiful Microsoft Access structure that underlies all of it's apps.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It's used for Office notifications. You can get rid of it.

Make sure it's not in your account's startup items, and also turn off notification in the Entourage preferences. howto here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.