Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanz95h

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
I'm supposed to make a database program for a small business for my school c.s proj. I don't know any programming languages but i read somewhere that I can make a database using MySQL Workbench and then design it in Filemaker.
I don't know how to use Workbench. I am wondering if anyone can help me with it. I'm very confused!!:confused:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The apparent facts:
  1. You're enrolled in a CS class in school.
  2. You don't know any programming languages (presumably including SQL).
  3. You don't know MySQL Workbench.
  4. Your CS assignment is to make a database for a small business.
Given the above, why not just use Filemaker?

Or is one of the requirements for the assignment that you must use MySQL?

What tools does the CS class expect you to know?
If MySQL Workbench is one of them, then you should do some studying. If not, then use the tool from the class.

I'm having a hard time seeing how anyone would be able to do this assignment without knowing a programming language, except by using database programs that require no programming. MySQL Workbench is a visual designer for MySQL, but if you don't know how to use it, it's no more help than any other program you don't know how to use. The obvious question then is: "What database tools do you know how to use?".

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm supposed to make a database program for a small business for my school c.s proj. I don't know any programming languages but i read somewhere that I can make a database using MySQL Workbench and then design it in Filemaker.
I don't know how to use Workbench. I am wondering if anyone can help me with it. I'm very confused!!:confused:

If the assignation is to design a database way not just use a #2 pencil? Seriously what are the requirements of the assignment?

The class either required you use certain software or, if the instructor is better he will let yu use whatever you like. If it is the first case use what you were told to use and there is not much you can ask here. In the second case my advice is "use the tools you know" even if they are not the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.