Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
My daughter had her iPhone 6 stolen from her backpack this evening while she was doing band practice. Come to find out, find my iPhone was off. It was dead when it got stolen. I turned on my find my iPhone on mine and was able to put her phone in lost mode which means it will alert the person who has the phone to call my number once it connects to the Internet. The phone is password protected and has Touch ID so how can the person who took it connect to the net with a passcode?!. What can I do as it really hurts to lose a $800 phone just like that. It was a birthday gift for my daughters 14th birthday. Any ideas?

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
If that phone's battery ran out. It's a very bad thing if it was on airplane mode. There will never be luck if it didn't have phone data on. Impossible to use different wifi on a phone that has a passcode locked out.
But lesson learned I guess :( 14 is too young to have an iPhone....iPad would be the best choice and a normal flip phone until maybe 2 years later.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It will get sold on ebay or craigslist for parts as it isn't usable to the thief. Unfortunately there isn't much or really anything you can do to get it back.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Find my iPhone was off or the phone was dead? I am unsure how, if find my iphone was off, you are able to see it now.

If find my iphone is on, and the phone is on, the user isn;t necessarily connecting to the net. That's the point of find my iPhone. It locates the device without alerting the person who's possession it is currently in (unless of course you want it to).

As far as getting it back, you can put a lost message stating that you are aware the phone is stolen and no charges will be pressed if it's returned immediately. More than likely it was some kid who stole it, hopefully he/she gets spooked and returns it.

Outside of that, you can file a police report, which may or may not get you anywhere. Your daughter should also report this to the school.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
If that phone's battery ran out. It's a very bad thing if it was on airplane mode. There will never be luck if it didn't have phone data on. Impossible to use different wifi on a phone that has a passcode locked out.
But lesson learned I guess :( 14 is too young to have an iPhone....iPad would be the best choice and a normal flip phone until maybe 2 years later.

She did have an iPad mini until very recently but since she got in high school, she's been very busy doing all kinds of after school activities so I decided to surprise her with this phone for her birthday. Man....it hurts!

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
She did have an iPad mini until very recently but since she got in high school, she's been very busy doing all kinds of after school activities so I decided to surprise her with this phone for her birthday. Man....it hurts!
Get mobile insurance on the next one :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Find my iPhone was off or the phone was dead? I am unsure how, if find my iphone was off, you are able to see it now.

If find my iphone is on, and the phone is on, the user isn;t necessarily connecting to the net. That's the point of find my iPhone. It locates the device without alerting the person who's possession it is currently in (unless of course you want it to).

As far as getting it back, you can put a lost message stating that you are aware the phone is stolen and no charges will be pressed if it's returned immediately. More than likely it was some kid who stole it, hopefully he/she gets spooked and returns it.

Outside of that, you can file a police report, which may or may not get you anywhere. Your daughter should also report this to the school.

It doesn't show its location. Find my iPhone was off and the phone was dead. It just had an option to put it in lost mode. Do you think filing a police report is worth it?.

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I think reporting to the school would be worth it. Maybe there is a security camera that caught the person stealing it?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It doesn't show its location. Find my iPhone was off and the phone was dead. It just had an option to put it in lost mode. Do you think filing a police report is worth it?.

Filing a police report will be nothing but a bit of your time. If there is a slight chance (and I would say there is) that it helps get the phone back, it seems to me it would be worth it. Same goes for reporting this to the school.

Obviously if you are going to file a report, make sure your daughter has her story straight. I am not trying to imply anything other than... well... kids. A little over a decade ago I was that kid (I played the Sax),

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I guess some chance is better than no chance. It's 11:30 pm now here in Houston. Shall I file it now or tomorrow?. Thanks for the advice!.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Will definitely do that. Don't know what else to do.

Check with your credit card company (if you bought with a credit card) and see if they offer theft/damage protection. Most do. Sometimes only up to $500, but at least that's something.

This is also where a police report comes in handy, by the way.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Check with your credit card company (if you bought with a credit card) and see if they offer theft/damage protection. Most do. Sometimes only up to $500, but at least that's something.

This is also where a police report comes in handy, by the way.

Will check that out. It's a debit card so not sure. Thanks

----------

What hurts so bad is that money is real tight right now. Like real tight but I tend to follow my heart sometime over my brain. I knew she wanted this phone bad so I did some really hard things to make it happen and now this?!. I feel so bad.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

My kids have all had iPhones for years and never had one stolen.

I know adults who have had phones stolen. I do not think this is necessarily an age issue as much as it is a training issue.

One has to learn to take care of and keep track of an expensive electronic device.

I'd never buy a kid the latest new model of iPhone for their first iPhone, though. Mine all started with handed down phones.

OP, I hope your daughter's phone turns up.

----------

Will check that out. It's a debit card so not sure. Thanks

----------

What hurts so bad is that money is real tight right now. Like real tight but I tend to follow my heart sometime over my brain. I knew she wanted this phone bad so I did some really hard things to make it happen and now this?!. I feel so bad.

Why do you feel bad? It's not your fault it got stolen.

Your daughter is learning a hard lesson now.

Bluphyre

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
14 years old and an iphone 6...

i didnt even have a cellphone at 14..

good luck buddy..

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas

good luck buddy..

Thanks man. I totally understand. If I told my parents I wanted something like that at 14, they would have told me to go sleep and dream about it because it's not happening. I like to spoil them in ways I know I could have not been. It makes me feel good.

----------

My kids have all had iPhones for years and never had one stolen.

I know adults who have had phones stolen. I do not think this is necessarily an age issue as much as it is a training issue.

One has to learn to take care of and keep track of an expensive electronic device.

I'd never buy a kid the latest new model of iPhone for their first iPhone, though. Mine all started with handed down phones.

OP, I hope your daughter's phone turns up.

----------

Why do you feel bad? It's not your fault it got stolen.

Your daughter is learning a hard lesson now.

I feel bad because she really liked it and it's going to be a little while before I can get her one again. I wish whoever stole it realizes it's useless with a passcode and Touch ID on and returns it. I'm not counting on it. Most stolen property never shows up again. Oh well, not much I can do.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Damn, this sucks. Really sorry bro.

----------

good luck buddy..

Kinda have to agree with this too. I didn't get my first phone until I was 18 and didn't get my first smartphone until I was 22 and was fully responsible for the bill. It made me more responsible tho b/c I realized if something happened to that phone, it was 100% on me and my money to replace it. But whatev, OP I really hope things work out bro. Sucks that somebody would take a phone (or any property for that matter) that doesn't belong to them. I just hate thieves. It's not your stuff so leave it the hell alone.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
So there's a big difference between a 14 year old and a 16 year old having an iPhone? Oh please.

good luck buddy..
So just because you didn't have a cellphone when you were 14, don't be trolling on other people's threads saying that because tbh the bs everyone is talking about kids with iPhones is just pissing us off.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I don't know which carrier you are on or if you bought her phone outright, but if money is tight, maybe you can buy another one on the Next, Edge, etc program where you pay monthly? 0 down 0 interest and add carrier insurance as well. I'm hoping that if it was a high schooler and the phone doesn't work, they will decide to just turn it in to the office. Good luck.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
If the iPhone never had find my iphone activated, then the phone can be restored and used regardless of password and Touch ID.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
So sorry to hear about; lesson learned for all iPhone 6 owners. Insure it and never let it out of your sight, too pricey to lose#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.