Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
If we don't see a release of a new iMac soon (with ML maybe) I'll be forced to...forced to...wait longer....UGGGHHHH.

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
Apple is not going to ditch the pro line.
They understand the significance of content creation and they will continue to support it.

I don't get why you are all freaking out, this is obviously not a new "launch" of the pro line, and really only a power bump that's necessary to hold off while they complete their redesign, instead of having no refresh at all.

They're not a company to release something unpolished, and especially not for the pro market.

remingtonhill

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2004
Fort Worth, TX
Not in the next few days after WWDC, nor during WWDC, but quite commonly during the next few weeks. If you're in the market for an iMac, I recommend you hold off until you absolutely can't do without one.

Having siad that, the current iMacs are powerhouses, so you'll be OK either way.

If he is getting by with a powermac G5 in 2012, he is NOT a MacPro customer.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Another 12-18mo for the Mac Pro herd to thin out even more so Apple can eventually say, 'Well, there's just not enough demand so it's not fiscally responsible to keep manufacturing and offering Mac Pros."

That appears to be what they did with the 17" MBP. They offered it with the same specs as the 15", except for the screen size, and they killed demand for it. Now it is gone.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
What is AMD's current top-of-the-line processor? Could Apple have used that in the new Mac Pro instead?

Geolink

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
New York
I'm confused... does this mean no refresh either?

Refresh = / = Re-design?

So maybe the refresh for the particular model available will still happen?

cypress822

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
If Pogue is accurate then these had better be laser-like utensils as opposed to the sporks that were dropped on us today. No excuse for Tim Cook/Apple not giving us whatever they are planning TODAY.

Could not agree more...why is apple insisting on being so stealth?? This is complete bull ****

remingtonhill

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2004
Fort Worth, TX
Not using standard parts in the new macbookpro makes repair work an effin nightmare. I just got shivers down my spine from remembering the days of the first bondi iMac, different ram etc etc. Its cool and if I can afford it I'll get it the new MBP. but the ridiculous price of ram for that model kinda pisses me off. I believe its not removable. which means if you want the 16gb version its apple ram or nothing. I was however looking forward to a giant leap in pro tower specs. Making them with no USB3 and no Thunderbolt means this lady is not buying it until they show some serious pro tower love. The lack of ivy/xeon x-over was disheartening.

neat just realized I was upgraded to 6502. about time... its been 9 years.

What Apps are you using that can benefit from more than 4 hyperthreaded cores? And please DON'T SAY PHOTOSHOP.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
You know the other thing that frustrates me about this... if we're not gonna get USB3 or Thunderbolt - it would NOT have been that much more effort to start supporting SATA6.

The more I think about this, the more annoyed I become.

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
This thread seems to have deteriorated pretty quickly, but just to respond to the various voices that say things along the lines of 'hardly anyone needs anything more powerful than a 2010 MP'... please do not wear your ignorance so proudly. Just because you are not aware of such people is not relevant to the discussion.

There are many people in many industries for whom the most powerful computer they can get their hands on is still not enough. More power means getting more work done in less time, or at higher resolutions, or with more tracks, with less waiting time, with more flexibility to try different approaches etc.

This may be a small market, but it is a mature one and one which gave Apple the gravitas and the fundamentals that have gone on to make them the rare blend of luxury and mass-market in the consumer space.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
So speculation from a journalist who could have completely lied, and a quote from tim cook who emailed just some random user... :roll eyes:

I still have faith that the iMac's will be released before mountain lion.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
As I have said NUMEROUS times on the forums here...Apple has basically abandoned the Mac line. Today's news yet again backs up my feeling:

1)The shuffling of brand names (Macbook is gone/promoted to Macbook Pro)

2)Except for the extremely expensive Retina Macbook, today's Mac laptop announcements offer minimal upgrades

3)Absolutely no mention of the desktop Macs (I think barely 44 people here even care about the Mac Pro desktop) which must have made 100% of the attendees wonder what the heck is going on.

4)Latest rumor is that the Mac desktops will be out sometime in 2013...6+ months from now. At best.

Apple, for over 10 years now, can't figure out what to do with the entire Mac line...Apple consistently mucks with the hardware (such as back and forth with Intel chips), raises and then lowers prices (Mac Mini for easy example), re-brands the names (point 1 above), and basically takes its sweet time with upgrades.

The Mac is obviously profitable...but I think the Mac is something Apple thought would simply die or be a niche item after 2003 and yet it kind of yo-yo's in the limelight of Apple. Apple dropped the "Computer" from its name a long time ago so it could promote to the world that it is more of a consumer electronics company that might dabble in computers (like Sony)...but Apple can't quite figure out if they want to kill the Mac and bet the company on non-computer systems (likely because iTunes, iPod, and iPad are glued to iTunes/a computer).

Personally I believe Apple should dump the Mac.

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
What Apps are you using that can benefit from more than 4 hyperthreaded cores? And please DON'T SAY PHOTOSHOP.

My livelihood revolves around After Effects and Cinema 4D which soak up about anything a computer has resource-wise. So disappointed about today and am now looking into the ProMax ONE.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
If that alleged Tim Cook email is legit, I'm more than prepared to eat a big'ole slice of humble pie (in fact, I hope I do).

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I can't believe for a second that the iMac won't be refreshed till 2013.

That's not considered a 'Pro' machine. The Mac Pro is.

So I think we'll get new iMacs in the Fall and then new MacPros in 2013 WWDC.

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Because in 2008, the hype was 1080p with the 5D mkII. Now, it's stereoscopic 3D. We're starting to see 4K footage. After that, they will expect us to work with 4K stereoscopic 3D...

In 3D animation and VFX, it's common to have scenes that take hours of computing and rendering, per frame. Imagine when we will have to work in 4K!

As technology advances, more and more is expected, and many artists/technicians can't upgrade a 6000$ computer every year. We have to take our purchases decisions very seriously, and right now, those working with Apple-based workflows and pipelines are being left in the dust. A 1000€ pc is faster and much more expandible than a 2500€ Mac Pro. Which means, 3D animation studios using W7 will be able to afford three times more workstations, and cut their in-house render times by three, and so on...
We have to know whether to go back to Windows (which means buying new software and train to use it) or hold onto our existing workflow for a few more months. All the expectancy and hype is good for consumers, but for professionals, it's a dangerous game to play.

If you're still at 4K then you're already playing catch-up. 5K stereoscopic at 48 fps is not an unreasonable request now (expect this to be 6K later in 2012) and yes, the Mac Pro in a DIT function that needs ingest, backup and show instant rushes really shows its age.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
This may be a small market, but it is a mature one and one which gave Apple the gravitas and the fundamentals that have gone on to make them the rare blend of luxury and mass-market in the consumer space.

Very well said, your whole post. Sums this up quite nicely.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Well, I had been looking at the six-core for a while. Price just dropped $700 on that unit, so this update suits me OK.

I don't care about thunderbolt in the MacPro. Not as much need for exterior storage. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of USB 3.

The question fo me is whether it is worth it to cough up the dough for a dual processor unit. Does anyone know where i could get some info on what programs actually quantifiably benefit from the dual processors?

Last edited:

nickarmadillo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO
You could have built a more powerful machine for less in 2009, much less 2012. Apple continues to drop the ball on their desktop lines and you know what? I really think that they could care less. iPads, iPhones, and Macbooks are where the money is. They're just waiting for the right moment to kill their desktop lines off.

Regardless, I've been a Mac user since the Lisa was released and this is quite honestly the worst Apple "upgrade" I've ever seen. I mean it would take very little effort at all to simply swap out new components and call it a day. The only possible explanation is that they're getting out of the Pro desktop business.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
You know what would instill faith? APPLE telling pro users that they will continue to support them. Its not like that information would benefit the competitors to any significant degree, and I'm positive it would put the minds of those who DEPEND on this tool for a living, at ease.

Getting this info exclusively from third parties borders on insulting.

What do you think this Speed bump is?! It's Apple updading the Mac Pro yes, but more importantly, it's Apple saying, No,we're not getting rid of you.

----------

Hey guys I'm still fairly new here.

Can I curse on this forum? (Serious question).

:(

Oh my ****ing god! :D

We'll find out won't we? :p

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
He said "later next year." So does he mean "a little later, like next year" or LATER NEXT YEAR as in towards the end of 2013? :eek:

Either way this just plain sucks.:mad:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
He said "later next year." So does he mean "a little later, like next year" or LATER NEXT YEAR as in towards the end of 2013? :eek:

Either way this just plain sucks.:mad:

Remember he's probably only talking about the Mac Pro. Not the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.