Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stewart1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2014
With a house move coming in three weeks my days as a ppc user are numbered. Although the G5 has been the daily driver for my wife for nearly two years in her singing teaching our new house will no longer have a separate piano room with G5 and she has decided that my i7 windows 8.1 machine is more in keeping with her decor plans. Translate this as smaller and more discreet to fit in my study area at the back of the room.

It will be a sad day the G5 goes into storage, I've enjoyed keeping it relevant, especially as it is the low end 1.6ghz model. It is also my last working mac. Don't get me wrong I like windows 8.1 but I cut my teeth on these macs at music college and I also just hate stopping using stuff that works but so be it.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
12 years is a great lifespan for a computer. You have to feel good about a computer that has actually outlived usefulness vs one that failed long before it was due.

Reactions: Hastings101

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
This is what i hate exactly. Right now im on the macbook in my signature, and as the days pass I understand its running snow leopard and i can do lion but due to demand in software from school its sad to think that perhaps i might have to give it up. However just like the PPC users (well i used a emac and imacg3 but not my daily drivers) i feel attached and enjoy being different from the crowd of silver aluminum macbook pros.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
So if anyone has gotten Mavericks or Yosemite to work flawlessly 100% or even ML please give me a PM. i got ml to work but it wont connect to schools WPA2 enterprise network. i want to keep this mac, it was my first mac and my first ever computer that was not a hand me down

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So if anyone has gotten Mavericks or Yosemite to work flawlessly 100% or even ML please give me a PM. i got ml to work but it wont connect to schools WPA2 enterprise network. i want to keep this mac, it was my first mac and my first ever computer that was not a hand me down

Did you see my reply to you in my MB project thread? It's doable for your laptop. You need all the same parts I ordered to sum it all up.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Did you see my reply to you in my MB project thread? It's doable for your laptop. You need all the same parts I ordered to sum it all up.
i have. however being tuition is tight and all i cant afford to spend anymore on this thing. Either i can hack on something newer or i just shut up and deal with snow leopard and maybe put lion on it. not sure what ill do yet.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
i have. however being tuition is tight and all i cant afford to spend anymore on this thing. Either i can hack on something newer or i just shut up and deal with snow leopard and maybe put lion on it. not sure what ill do yet.

Ok... Well whatever happens, good luck!

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
our new house will no longer have a separate piano room with G5 and she has decided that my i7 windows 8.1 machine is more in keeping with her decor plans.

It will be a sad day the G5 goes into storage, I've enjoyed keeping it relevant, especially as it is the low end 1.6ghz model.

Maybe you're thinking about this backwards? Perhaps it's time for a new wife?!

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Ok... Well whatever happens, good luck!

Thanks but im no expert. hence why i need help doing it. I love keeping this machine! not because i cannot afford a new one but also because i stand out in the crowd like PPC guys do.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
This is what i hate exactly. Right now im on the macbook in my signature, and as the days pass I understand its running snow leopard and i can do lion but due to demand in software from school its sad to think that perhaps i might have to give it up. However just like the PPC users (well i used a emac and imacg3 but not my daily drivers) i feel attached and enjoy being different from the crowd of silver aluminum macbook pros.

Why don't you just download Macpostfactor and upgrade it to the OS you'd like? I'm pretty sure it works on that generation of Macbook

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Gamer, aren't the 2007 MacBooks different from the 2008s?
Anyhoo, I put Mavericks on a 2007book. didnt run too great.
Yes, the early and Mid 07s are different from the 08s in terms of wiring. The Late 07s use the same wiring as the Early and Late 08s, as well as the Early and Mid 09s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.