Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
But not anymore.

O.k. I would like to get some feedback at what possibly happenned to my computer today. I hope someone can explain, since I'm not a computer techie.

Today, there was a brief power outage in my apartment and as always, the fist thing I check is the Mac. So when I try to turn it back on, the power button ligths up and fades back out. The computer does not turn on. So I go to videotape a wedding all worried, and decide to swap the power supply for the one Apple sent me in their exchange deal.
I swapped the thing myself(I was worried I was going to mess something up), but when I tried to turn on, again, same thing.
So now I'm devastated my Mac was out and I needed it to edit the wedding, when I decided to open the case again and look at it see if anything came to mind. Well it did, I was looking at the little battery on the logic board and decided to take it out and put it back on to see if that reset something. Well it did and my computer is back up and running, but I want to know what happened. Any insight is appreciated, and if I should go have it checked.

P.S. the new power supply is noticeably more silent, nice!

Thank you

windwaves

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
there is a reset botton on the mother board that you have to push for a few seconds. That should do it. You will have to find out the details about it though, where it is and for how long exactly you need to hold it down ( something like 3-5 seconds at the most I seem to recall). You will need something small to push it, like a plastic pen. Sorry I could not be more specific but at least I know this is a probable solution. If you have a computer available go to the Apple disc. forums and do a search for reset.

good luck

filmmaker2002

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Milwaukee
Same thing happened to a QS in one of my labs recently. There is indeed a small brown button on the motherboard that you can just press with your finger for 10 seconds. Do that, and your PM should start just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.