Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dummptyhummpty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2005
I just noticed my new PowerBook has a dead pixel (stays blue). Should I just ignore it or should I bring it back to the Apple Store. Would they give me a refurbished one and what would they do with all my data? Also I will be getting a 24" Dell soon so I would just see it when im in class or not in my room.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Spaceboy464 said:
I just noticed my new PowerBook has a dead pixel (stays blue). Should I just ignore it or should I bring it back to the Apple Store. Would they give me a refurbished one and what would they do with all my data? Also I will be getting a 24" Dell soon so I would just see it when im in class or not in my room.

One dead pixel is within spec, they won't be able to do anything. I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy the powerbook.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Apple has a policy on dead pixels, something like 5 or more for a return (not totally sure.) For just 1 dead pixel they won't help you- sorry. :(

What color is it? Maybe it's stuck. Some people have had success by 'massaging' a pixel into working again.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Spaceboy464 said:

It actually sounds like it is a stuck pixel - there are some people with PSP's that have been having the same problem. There is something you can try - it is a movie that you run repeatedly that changes the colours of the LCD in quick succession. Some people have had good results. Have a read and see what you think.

Just to make you fell better, my Cinema Display has a few dead ones - they are hardly noticeable unless you look really hard. Unfortunately dodgy pixels are part and parcel of LCD monitors.

good luck!

aussie_geek

dummptyhummpty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2005
jane doe said:
One dead pixel is within spec, they won't be able to do anything. I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy the powerbook.

Damn, the guy said they would because it's new. I'll call them next week. My mom's pretty pissed though.

dummptyhummpty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2005
5300cs said:
Apple has a policy on dead pixels, something like 5 or more for a return (not totally sure.) For just 1 dead pixel they won't help you- sorry. :(

What color is it? Maybe it's stuck. Some people have had success by 'massaging' a pixel into working again.

More info, that sounds right because I could sware it was not there before, just all of a sudden bam there it is.

dummptyhummpty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2005
aussie_geek said:
It actually sounds like it is a stuck pixel - there are some people with PSP's that have been having the same problem. There is something you can try - it is a movie that you run repeatedly that changes the colours of the LCD in quick succession. Some people have had good results. Have a read and see what you think.

Just to make you fell better, my Cinema Display has a few dead ones - they are hardly noticeable unless you look really hard. Unfortunately dodgy pixels are part and parcel of LCD monitors.

good luck!

aussie_geek

That sounds right ... i'll see what I can do thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.