Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just noticed on Twitter and on the BBC that the death of Nelson Mandela has been announced.

In a world sadly lacking in genuinely heroic figures, he embodied in his very person and in the way he lived his life the notion of the 'philosopher king', being ruler, mentor, leader and guide to his people. A truly impressive human being and inspirational leader, he played a transformational role which required physical and moral courage and political insight and wisdom. To find any of these in a political leader is welcome. To find them all in one human being is little short of incredible.

RIP Nelson Mandela. A rare man, incredible leader and truly impressive role model.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Just noticed on Twitter and on the BBC that the death of Nelson Mandela has been announced.

In a world sadly lacking in genuinely heroic figures, he embodied in his very person and in the way he lived his life the notion of the 'philosopher king', being ruler, mentor, leader and guide to his people. A truly impressive human being and inspirational leader, he played a transformational role which required physical and moral courage and political insight and wisdom. To find any of these in a political leader is welcome. To find them all in one human being is little short of incredible.

RIP Nelson Mandela. A rare man, incredible leader and truly impressive role model.

Thank you for saying, far better than I, what a huge loss this is.

I am almost never effected emotionally by the death of a world leader (or anyone else in public life, for that matter)... but I am very deeply moved by Mandela's death.

The word Hero is grossly overused and has been trivialized by that overuse. This man was, indeed, a Hero, to South Africans, and to the world. Truly a man of enormous strength and grace.

Mandela.png

Last edited:

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Three quotes from him that are extremely powerful, and if people today lived by them, the world would be a much better place:

"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."

"Democracy is based on the majority principle. This is especially true in a country such as ours where the vast majority have been systematically denied their rights. At the same time, democracy also requires that the rights of political and other minorities be safeguarded."

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
R.I.P Nelson Mandela 1918 - 2013

No words can describe the sacrifice he made for the freedom of others. I personally can't even imagine how life was for him in the 30's 40's and etc:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Very few deaths affect me outside the obvious family/friends, but this is one that certainly draws sadness.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
A beacon has gone out in the world, many talk about a true statesman, but he was the real thing. He was an inspiration to the world, after all the terrible events in his life, he never remained bitter.

RIP. Nelson Mandela you truly did make a difference, the world is poorer because you are gone.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Been expecting this news for a while now. Hope he rests in peace and all that. :)

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
The ability to conjure up an alternative history for a blood soaked, terrified country and then make a peaceful transition of power seem inevitable in retrospect was a towering achievement.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I respect the many things he stood for. I was not a fan of the man himself. I can say similar about other great leaders but again - it is not always about the person but what they stood for and accomplished so I consider his deeds to be remarkable in our lifetime and deserves a golden place in modern history.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I respect the many things he stood for. I was not a fan of the man himself. I can say similar about other great leaders but again - it is not always about the person but what they stood for and accomplished so I consider his deeds to be remarkable in our lifetime and deserves a golden place in modern history.

In my earlier statement, I said he was a very nice man, later when I worked for the UN, was able to attend the World Cup Rugby Championship in Joburg, with all the hip, they were very nice to me, and allowed me to sit in the same boxes that he was in, and he gave me a Springbok shirt, not bad!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
In my earlier statement, I said he was a very nice man, later when I worked for the UN, was able to attend the World Cup Rugby Championship in Joburg, with all the hip, they were very nice to me, and allowed me to sit in the same boxes that he was in, and he gave me a Springbok shirt, not bad!

I am glad that your moment with him was a good one. I admit that often I like to research the people behind the 'icon' or great deeds. They are human, they are at times morally frail and he is no different. This doesn't diminish the work he accomplished.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

That is a lovely memory to be able to recall - lucky you.

Actually, by wearing that Sprinkboks jersey at the Rugby World Cup Final, Nelson Mandela made an extraordinary gesture of political reconciliation and showed his wisdom, insight and demonstrated his characteristically sound political instincts of generosity and inclusiveness.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
All his life he spent for the welfare of humans.

To be honest - and I am not detracting from his outstanding achievements - but I think his life's journey as a political leader was a little more nuanced than that.

In common with others who held positions of leadership and who developed or grew into what became recognised as 'Great' leaders, Mr Mandela's own political and philosophical position evolved considerably over time. That journey from 'terrorist', or 'freedom fighter' to world renowned statesman is a relatively well trodden one, but few have carried it out with such thoughtful aplomb and such grace, as Mr Mandela.

This meant that his outrage over entrenched injustice expressed through racial legislation came to be tempered with a recognition of the sort of political acts that would - of necessity - need to be taken in order to ensure that the state infrastructure of monstrous injustice could be dismantled in a manner commensurate with the simultaneous construction of a political model which stressed inclusiveness as a core value of state-building.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.