Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Yes I'm asking for advice again =P. Well let's see.. I got paid on Friday and spent that check like bam! And it was gone.

Well, that same day I received a $500 check for winning a scholarship so that I can use it towards what I want - school wise =P - so I have a few questions.

1 - Does the Nano mount so you can use it as a storage device?
2 - Does anyone have Linux Pod on their Nano?
3 - Is the Nano a click wheel or the one wheel where you rotate your finger around it?
4 - Is $109.00 + 8.51 tax good for a refurb from Apple =P (of course it is)?
5 - Should I buy it, or shouldn't I?

Let's see I have $307.93 left bc I'm subtracting a $125 for my housing deposit.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
slooksterPSV said:
Yes I'm asking for advice again =P. Well let's see.. I got paid on Friday and spent that check like bam! And it was gone.

Well, that same day I received a $500 check for winning a scholarship so that I can use it towards what I want - school wise =P - so I have a few questions.

1 - Does the Nano mount so you can use it as a storage device?
2 - Does anyone have Linux Pod on their Nano?
3 - Is the Nano a click wheel or the one wheel where you rotate your finger around it?
4 - Is $109.00 + 8.51 tax good for a refurb from Apple =P (of course it is)?
5 - Should I buy it, or shouldn't I?

Let's see I have $307.93 left bc I'm subtracting a $125 for my housing deposit.

1. Yes you can use it as an external drive.
2. I don't know.
3. I don't know what you mean, the "click wheel" is a touch sensitive surface with buttons embedded in it, all iPods (except the shuffle) have used the click wheel since the iPod mini and 4G were introduced in 2004.
4. Yeah, that sounds like a good deal.
5. I would wait till you get to Uni - there's always something you never expect that costs a good deal of money.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
another vote for waiting, here.

one, school isn't cheap. books add up. supplies in any of your lab classes add up. random expenses you'd never imagine pop up.

unless your parents are willing to take care of all of that for you, you're going to want some money on hand.

also, by waiting, you give yourself time to see what's in store for the next nano release.

and by then (unless it's next week? *fingers crossed* ;)) you'll know your expenses better.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Scholarships are supposed to be used for school...IMO.

But yeah I would definitely wait until at least monday for Steve's keynote...if no nano is released then...I'd wait for the Paris Expo.

By then you may realize that any kind of scholarship money is so awesome...since school is ridiculously expensive.

Then again it is nice to splurge once in a while. Oh yeah, the only ipod that has a wheel that spins is the first generation...Like the one I have for sale in the marketplace their are pics there too (actually compared with the nano). https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/221897/

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
MattyMac said:
Scholarships are supposed to be used for school...IMO.

Hoo ha hahahahaha!!!!

Oh dear, I haven't laughed that much in years!:p

Scholarships are for booze and other goodies. All that other stuff comes from scrimping, saving and cheating your way to them.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Chundles said:
Hoo ha hahahahaha!!!!

Oh dear, I haven't laughed that much in years!:p

Scholarships are for booze and other goodies. All that other stuff comes from scrimping, saving and cheating your way to them.
I for one used scholarships only for school since I paid for it myself. I guess I'm not as fortunate...or spoiled as those who had their education paid for by their parents or others. Unless of course a third party paid for your education for being extremely smart...then I give you lots of credit, in that case its ok to spend bonus checks such as these.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
MattyMac said:
I for one used scholarships only for school since I paid for it myself. I guess I'm not as fortunate...or spoiled as those who had their education paid for by their parents or others. Unless of course a third party paid for your education for being extremely smart...then I give you lots of credit, in that case its ok to spend bonus checks such as these.

Erm, it was a joke joyce, take a chill pill. I paid my way through Uni just like you.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Chundles said:
Erm, it was a joke joyce, take a chill pill. I paid my way through Uni just like you.
Alright...wasn't sure if you were serious or not.
Props to you my man.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I have linux on my 4G color photo iPod. It's ok... I like the standard interface and fuctionality better. The good thing with Linux is the games. Many times I have been sitting around bored. So I whipped out the iPod and played minesweeper, tetris, doom, and whatever else is on there.

About your questions, just ask yourself how much music you have. I have quite a bit so the 20gig suited me fine. Plus do you think you would lose that little nano? I find it a little too small for my taste. I like to feel my iPod in my pocket so I know it's safe.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I bought my 4 gig nano thinking i could never fill it up- but guess what i did! Now i am trying to get an ipod with more capacity. Just make sure that you will have enough space...

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Ok, I've decided, no nano right now. I wait to get my college books. I have to go get another scholarship on Monday ($1000 one). So, let's see... my Calc. book I'll use for 3 semesters hehe, that's awesome. Film hmm... english, always expensive... so yeah I use $$$ for books then nano.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
slooksterPSV said:
Ok, I've decided, no nano right now. I wait to get my college books. I have to go get another scholarship on Monday ($1000 one). So, let's see... my Calc. book I'll use for 3 semesters hehe, that's awesome. Film hmm... english, always expensive... so yeah I use $$$ for books then nano.

Good idea. Very wise decision. You'll probably have enough left over to wait for the new revisions when the rumours start flowing again soon - nano's almost a year old, definitely due to be revised soon.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Buy it!

I posted this in another section, but maybe this will help in your decision.
Just ordered my refurb nano. Went with the 2GB black. I live in London where it's best to have a discreet player. I know this because I have been mugged before and it's not fun.
I know it's only 2GB, but there was a time in my life that I used to head to school with one CD in my discman and would happily listen to it all day whilst tip-toeing between classes to prevent "Achtung Baby" from skipping. So I think I'll have enough songs in a slick, small convenient little package. I also feel that the price was so damn cheap (83 pounds!) that eventually when apple introduces a phone (and I will buy it that day!) that I wont feel like I just sunk a hefty chunk of change into something I will never use again.
Video... For me, there is no point in having video playback, as I would never use it on public transport or when I am walking about.
I have a PSP and my 12" PowerBook for out-of-town journeys (trains, planes, hotels etc...) and that's when I enjoy my vids and games. I have PSP sync for my mac and it's a genius little program thats integrated with itunes, iphoto etc... Great little product and it was only like fifteen US... (so nothing.)
It's not like we're learning anything new here. Just another mac user excited about his next toy.
Cheers,
TJ Campbell
Samsung 19" HD TV Monitor
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.