Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForumViewer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
After a couple days of use, I decided I'm going to return my black leather smart cover. I think the concept itself is very cool, it's just not well delivered in many areas. The obvious being no backside protection. But also, I liked the way I could prop up the original ipad and black Apple case on my stomach when laying down (like an inverted V). Can't do that at all with a SmartCover, nor do I feel it's stable enough when in "TV View" mode or whatever it's called.

I also don't like that when I'm holding it, I can't slide my fingers underneath the smartcover when it's folded back, like I could with the original iPad and case. I loved holding my old iPad that way. I also don't feel the SmartCover is "stiff" enough - it just sort of flops around when it's not closed. Finally, at $70, I feel it's way overpriced and for the above reasons, definitely not worth that cost for me.

I know, many of my gripes are the result of being an original iPad owner, but I like what I like. My search for a similar case continues.

kimnicho

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Agreed

Yup, that sums up many issues nicely. I just find it unusual for Apple to release such a half-baked product like this.

I also returned my blue smartcover despite the girls' objections (they liked the pretty color:D). Half of the time they were using it, they would fold it back and releash the magnetic grip. Also, it was a pain having to fold it into a perfect triangle to prop it up. $40 for a poly not-so-smart cover is a rip-off ! Just paid $40 for a Yoobao case that covers the entire iPad and also has the sleep on/off feature. It should cost $19.99 or less as you will have to pony up extra $20+ to find something to cover the back. I usu. love Apple products but this one, like you said, was indeed a half-baked idea!

chenahfu

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
I thought its meant to be removable if required.
why is the video fiddling with the smart cover, he could have just removed it,
and used it when he wanna use the ipad2 on the table.

I thought its common sense.

ForumViewer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I also returned my blue smartcover despite the girls' objections (they liked the pretty color:D). Half of the time they were using it, they would fold it back and releash the magnetic grip. Also, it was a pain having to fold it into a perfect triangle to prop it up. $40 for a poly not-so-smart cover is a rip-off ! Just paid $40 for a Yoobao case that covers the entire iPad and also has the sleep on/off feature. It should cost $19.99 or less as you will have to pony up extra $20+ to find something to cover the back. I usu. love Apple products but this one, like you said, was indeed a half-baked idea!

I was just looking at the Yoobao case....I might give that one a whirl. I also think I may just forgo the case altogether and put Zagg film on both sides of it.

I thought its meant to be removable if required.
why is the video fiddling with the smart cover, he could have just removed it,
and used it when he wanna use the ipad2 on the table.

I thought its common sense.

I guess that's a personal preference...I don't want to set my case aside every time I use it.

You think it's 'half-baked', many others do not.

Perhaps you missed the personal pronoun I when I posted my opinion. Don't take it personally.

nden

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
Why would everyone want to remove the smart-cover? i thought it would stay with its device.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Why would everyone want to remove the smart-cover? i thought it would stay with its device.

It's a screen protector that doubles as a stand. If you don't need the stand and the device is in use then just whip off the cover. That's why they designed it to be so easily and quickly attachable.

I don't understand why people would struggle to hold the device with the screen protector flapping about. Just remove it.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Perhaps you missed the personal pronoun I when I posted my opinion. Don't take it personally.
Wrong and wrong. I didn't miss the personal pronoun nor did I take it personally. Another spot on post. Congrats.

nden

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
It's a screen protector that doubles as a stand. If you don't need the stand and the device is in use then just whip off the cover. That's why they designed it to be so easily and quickly attachable.

I don't understand why people would struggle to hold the device with the screen protector flapping about. Just remove it.

removing and leaving the cover aside, someday, it will be lost or stolen?

ton123

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007

True!
I love my smart cover. Acts as a screen protector and stand. Aesthetically minimal and most importantly still shows the beauty of the iPad itself. To me its much much better than some pleather / cheap'o leather that hides the whole iPad. Looks boring and blunt. Beside i can always put a protective clear skin for the back.

Overprice? it might be.. but then again you always pay premium to have an Apple brand.

Just my opinion no offence :)

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
half-baked? - No - brilliant business wise

1. huge profit margin - cost on the poly I guarantee you is less the 4.00 - price 40. Leather less than 15....wow
2. works cute - does it's job for what it is and wait for it: people will buy multiples to have all the colors - the apple fan factor!
3. a great cust realtions tool - have a problem with apple and they'll give you a cover at the drop if a hat.

Look for a product business model like this on many apple products from now on - the first was the apple bumper for the I4...also a brilliant business move....

ps. not being condescending, just truthful - I own two (selling them as I want CF)

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I'm still undecided.

When I first got my iPad 2 I had no cover so eventually I got a Smart Cover at target because it was basically the only cover available in all of Houston besides a leather folio at Best Buy that I didn't like.

I wasn't satisfied with the level of protection, so I eventually got a cheap TPU case on eBay and cut it out to fit with the Smart Cover. Now I feel like my iPad is well protected but I'm not really sure about the Smart Cover.

I don't like the way the flap feels in my hands when I hold it, but I guess I could always take it off. Still that's not a great solution because then I'll likely lose it especially when I am riding the light rail with my iPad or in an airport or anywhere like that.

I also don't like the angle you get when you use it as a stand. I have a much better portable stand with a better angle that cost much less than $40, so I don't use it for that.

What I really like about the Smart Cover is the typing mode. I find that increases my typing speed an accuracy to almost that of a physical keyboard. So putting up with that thing hanging off my iPad all the time is almost worth it because sometimes I use it for typing and if I always took it off when reading I probably wouldn't have it handy when I wanted to type.

I also like the sleep wake thing, but its not exactly hard to hit the home button and swipe to wake instead.

It's also nice to be able to throw my iPad in my bag without worrying too much about leaving the screen unprotected, and it's always easier to take it out without having to first take it out of a sleeve, so I guess the Smart Cover is good in that way.

I just ordered an Incipio NGP case that comes with a free screen protector. If I can get the screen protector on without any ugly bubbles I might just use it like that without the Smart Cover. The screen protector / case combo should at least make me comfortable enough to put it into my bag without a sleeve sometimes, and I do have a sleeve for the times that I feel like I need one.

I bought my Smart Cover at Target so I have a 90 day return window. I guess I'll see how it goes with the other case before I take it back.

Now if the smart cover cost half the price, then I probably would't hesitate to have one that I could use occasionally. But for $40 it's hard to justify.

ForumViewer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
But for $40 it's hard to justify.

That's really the point here. $70 for uber thin leather cover is so grossly overpriced. I let the excitement of finally finding an iPad 2 overcome my senses.

Even at half price I think they'd be too much. Oh well, to each their own. If someone is happy with it, who am I to judge.

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I made a video too, but never released it as many felt the same way. I returned it less than 24 hours after launch. I agree with the Video poster, people raving about the dumb cover is just crazy. They are doing nothing but repeating hot button words and have not used it in real practice.

That video wa spot on!!! It only looks and works decently when it is closed. And even then it is unsteady. It is nothing more than a cash cow that people try their best to justify.

For all the people who say they love it, other are usig it wrong, that it is magical, I bet they buy a different cover in the next 3 months. I say 3 months to give re ones who do not have one yet to get it...

I found a real leather, real smart cover mad like the original on amazon. Look for AYL brand... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B004QYUHFY/ref=aw_d_cr_electronics?qid=1301843079&sr=8-5

Let that one be your cover for a while.

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh yeah, it is now 35 for real leather... 4 bucks less than what I paid... Comes in red, black and brown.

It is always "cool" to run around with all of your apple accessories, but don't be foolish :)

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I'm actually coming from the other way. I didn't like the smart cover and got a standard case. Then I found an open-box discounted gray one and now I love it so much I got a leather one.

BUT, in terms of the complaints then I agree completely. There are enough question marks regarding the products usability that I feel it is a niche product that is only popular because Apple fans are so good at making excuses for everything. Folding it around the back is awkward. The lack of protection on the back makes me worry. The cost is ridiculous. The magnets are too weak so it detatches too easily. I'm supposed toremove the cover completely when using the iPad?!?!?

Apple defenders will call these "features" or find a way to blame the user but in the end this is definitely not a case (cover:rolleyes:) for everyone. But for me then I've grown to love it.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
half-baked? - No - brilliant business wise

1. huge profit margin - cost on the poly I guarantee you is less the 4.00 - price 40. Leather less than 15....wow
2. works cute - does it's job for what it is and wait for it: people will buy multiples to have all the colors - the apple fan factor!
3. a great cust realtions tool - have a problem with apple and they'll give you a cover at the drop if a hat.

Look for a product business model like this on many apple products from now on - the first was the apple bumper for the I4...also a brilliant business move....

ps. not being condescending, just truthful - I own two (selling them as I want CF)
Don't forget the free "click" sound that comes with each $40 or $70 cover.

I'm sure Apple could have figured out a way to make the cover connection buffered enough that it would be silent but they knew that satisfying "click" sound would help sell an additional 10million covers. Apple knows exactly what they're doing and suckers like me just spent 70$ on a cheap strip of leather and fridge magnets. :D

I do wish they included the cover with the product though. I get the complaints against it, but people would appreciate it more if it was considered part of the product. But I guess if they don't include headphones or the remote with macs anymore then they won't include an accessory that is so gimmicky that they can build a commercial around it.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Don't forget the free "click" sound that comes with each $40 or $70 cover.

I'm sure Apple could have figured out a way to make the cover connection buffered enough that it would be silent but they knew that satisfying "click" sound would help sell an additional 10million covers. Apple knows exactly what they're doing and suckers like me just spent 70$ on a cheap strip of leather and fridge magnets. :D

I do wish they included the cover with the product though. I get the complaints against it, but people would appreciate it more if it was considered part of the product. But I guess if they don't include headphones or the remote with macs anymore then they won't include an accessory that is so gimmicky that they can build a commercial around it.

Agreed....brilliant move the click....lol

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I called to return mine and they said I could just keep it. Keeping my ipad in a moleskin. Putting my smart cover on ebay

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I like my gray smart cover and I use it very often as a stand when typing lots of text. I don't use it in the movie position a lot, since I don't find it very practical. The angle could be a bit deeper.
I like that the smart cover protects my iPad's screen but sometimes I find that the smart cover doesnt clean the screen, on the contrary.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I called to return mine and they said I could just keep it. Keeping my ipad in a moleskin. Putting my smart cover on ebay

A perfect example of how much gross margin is in these unit....cost is less thsn shipping/refund cost....brilliant on apple's part,imo...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.