Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Hey guys... I'm in serious need of a system upgrade, as my old 700 MHz G3 iBook really isn't doing it anymore.. :D

Anyway, I am looking at a PowerMac, but the G5's are way out of my price range for now. Basically, I can buy a stripped down bottom of the line G5, or a "top of the line" G4 (superdrive, 80 GB HD, etc.)

I'm planning on buying a Dual 1.42 GHz PowerMac G4 (which is selling at a really reasonable price now.. about the same as the single 1.6 G5).

Basically, I'm wondering what kind of performance differences I'll see between the iBook and the PowerMac.. I'm expecting huge changes because I've used my friends 800 MHz G4 iBook and it ran WAY faster than mine.

Also wondering if you think the bottom of the line G5 would be better (even minus PCI-X, etc.)

Thanks for your input.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
A quick google found me this

http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html

Interesting part is the Dual G4 beat the 1.6 in most categories.

I'd say go for the Dual G4, but keep in mind - none of us know the upgrade path of such a machine (specifically if some vendor will retrofit a G5 for this architecture).

I have a DP 867/768MB/160GB and in my opinion its still fast as f**k!

HOWEVER, if you believe product upgrades are coming very soon, you may want to wait out for the next "bottom of the line" G5, as this may become the 1.8 (or faster) w/ PCI-X.

Thats my $.02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.