Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello mac firefox people,

when right clicking on a word from finder, and given the option to search in google, finder always chooses safari to search....

i cannot find a way for finder to default to firefox instead! within safari's pref's, of all places, i find "default browser" (what a strange place?) but i can't find default browser in finder anywhere...

r.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm lost... where in Finder do you even have words to click on, let alone get a "find on Google" option for them? The only things you can really right click on in Finder, as far as I know, are volumes, files, and aliases. And I don't get any sort of Google option for them....

Are you sure you mean in Finder? Or are you in TextEdit or another program?

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002

well it seems to be across any program where you can highlight text and right click... (so thought to refer to it as finder 'cause the os makes it cross program?) .... and get the option to search in google....

-just wanna complete my transition to firefox...

thanks!

r.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ahh, okay, I think I know what you're talking about now. It's a feature of the text boxes and text areas in Cocoa and so it appears in all Cocoa applications (Note for instance that it's not in MS Office). And it does seem to ignore your default browser setting. I'm not sure what it's using to generate its default response... so I don't know how you can change it. And I tried a number of google searches and didn't come up with too much either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.