Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zsft

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
This whole thing is just kind of a crap chute. I love the look of the current MBP, but it's got a defective GPU. The new models will come out soon enough.... but will be only a hair faster at best, will (probably) have a GPU that's not defective, but will be redesigned, for the first time in eight years (at the very moment I'm buying an Apple laptop for the first time) to something I'm going to hate. Rounded corners, chiclet keyboard, thinner laptop.

The older MBPs don't have a graphics card I'd really be able to live with.

Talk about bad luck..?

everyone says this. i bet you a week after they release it, everyone's gonna be so in love and talking on and on about how beautiful it looks. and then i'm going to ask you again and cite this post, and then you'll say oh well it's better than the thinkpads.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
It just means you'll be buying another laptop from them that much sooner. They know true Apple fans aren't likely to jump ship no matter how bad their service gets or how high their prices are or how short their warranties are that come with them because true Mac heads don't want Windows no matter what.

Very true, there is a growing number of desktop hackintosh users, but as far as mobile machines go, :apple: has us by the B@ll$...

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
everyone says this. i bet you a week after they release it, everyone's gonna be so in love and talking on and on about how beautiful it looks. and then i'm going to ask you again and cite this post, and then you'll say oh well it's better than the thinkpads.

Erm.... whether or not that holds true for others, it won't hold true for me. I know what I like, and I've liked the way the PowerBook G4 enclosure has looked since it was introduced.

Don't much like the MBs... didn't much like the 12" PB; thought the original Kanga PB G3 was hideous; liked the Wallstreet/Pismos a lot.

Hate the chiclet keyboard, don't think the Air looks that great.

I'm picky.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I sent mine off for repair today, I was having constant kernel panics and color issues as well as freezing during regular Halo sessions. This is a replacement Penryn that I just got in April for my Merom I bought in Dec 06 because after 3 repairs and 2 logic boards it still wouldn't charge the batt.

Has anyone had any luck with logic board replacements fixing their problems?? Because if these problems persist after the repair, I am going to "strongly request" they replace it with something thats not a MBP. Especially because everytime I try to unplug it to use as a portable, it goes into spazz mode and becomes worthless until I force restart. I would much rather have an iMac or even Mac Pro since I paid $2200 + $250 Aplcare + $100 HD upgrade originally.

ocbaud

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
alright, well i work for Dell, and they started a new policy not to long ago that extends the warranty for all M1330 notebooks(with m8400 chips) for the lifetime of the system for issues involving the graphics chip going out.

so say 3-4 years after your warranty expires on your m1330, your nvidia geforce 8400m goes out, dell will replace the board for free.

i believe they'll be extending it to other systems that may be affected too, hopefully apple will do us right and go the same way.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
alright, well i work for Dell, and they started a new policy not to long ago that extends the warranty for all M1330 notebooks(with m8400 chips) for the lifetime of the system for issues involving the graphics chip going out.

so say 3-4 years after your warranty expires on your m1330, your nvidia geforce 8400m goes out, dell will replace the board for free.

i believe they'll be extending it to other systems that may be affected too, hopefully apple will do us right and go the same way.

Where did you get your lifetime information from? It seems they're talking about extending the warranty by 12 months...incredibly poor way of dealing with the issue. And Apple is even worse, of course!

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/arch...*****to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

CoolHand777

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
unofficial from apple rep

I was in the local apple store the other day talking to a kid that works there that seemed to know his ****. I mentioned my MBP graphic chip woes and he said that apple will be covering graphic chip issues for 2 years past end of warranty. don't know if this is reliable or not, but interesting none the less...

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
I was in the local apple store the other day talking to a kid that works there that seemed to know his ****. I mentioned my MBP graphic chip woes and he said that apple will be covering graphic chip issues for 2 years past end of warranty. don't know if this is reliable or not, but interesting none the less...

They have officially stated that in tech bulletin TS2377, but it is 2 years from date of purchase.

emex

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2006
Even after I had my 8600GT replaced, I continued to have issues.

While the initial replacement took only a day, Retail Apple is now making me wait a week to send it into the repair depot saying they can no longer order that part nor do they have it in-store.

Waiting a week is going to be painful, had anyone else had a similar experience?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.