Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Rower_CPU, mine doesn't have any damage either... it also has a brand new LCD, power inverter and logic board on/in it.

Thank you AppleCare :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Alpha...

Originally posted by MacAztec
How much time is left on the Apple Care if you sold it?

It would run out at the end of March in 2004 (11th week), maybe a little later, I would have to double check, but that would be the earliest it would expire (might be able to squeeze out a few extra weeks, since I think I told them that I bought/received it in April of 2001). I will confirm with my records when I get home to get a solid date.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Re: What the...

Originally posted by ewwhite

The part that is affected is the carbon-fiber base (the lighter-colored ring around the base of the computer). The carbon fiber is black underneath the paint. The titanium parts of the computer are fine and showing no noticable wear.

I'm curious as to which parts of the computer are carbon fiber and which are titanium. Apple says that the case is made out of Ti, but that's not very specific.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: Re: What the...

Originally posted by mc68k

I'm curious as to which parts of the computer are carbon fiber and which are titanium. Apple says that the case is made out of Ti, but that's not very specific.

There is also mention (in the service manuals :D ) about touching they painted, conductive pieces. Does anyone KNOW if carbon fiber is an electrical conductor or not??? I would tend to believe it is not, but I could be in error there. I would think that Apple would brag about having the high tech material inside the TiBooks, if it was present. I do see references to other metals, such as aluminum for the heat sink, and see other metal parts. The bracer right near the memory chips is plastic (at least it feels like it, and looks like it).

I DO know what carbon fiber looks like, and there is very little that can be done to mask it. Why would Apple even bother painting it???

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Carbon Fiber

Originally posted by AlphaTech
I DO know what carbon fiber looks like, and there is very little that can be done to mask it. Why would Apple even bother painting it???

Because Apple didn't think carbon fiber's natural color fit w/their color scheme? That's all I can think of.

Does anyone KNOW if carbon fiber is an electrical conductor or not??? I would tend to believe it is not, but I could be in error there.

This site says it IS:

"From more than two decades of use in aerospace applications, the remarkable properties of carbon fiber-reinforced composites are well known and well documented. They include high strength, low weight, high stiffness, corrosion resistance, heat resistance, and electrical conductivity."

I would think that Apple would brag about having the high tech material inside the TiBooks, if it was present.

"Carbon fiber acts to dissipate both static electricity and heat. That property, combined with light weight, has made our fiber an increasingly important material in the manufacture of computers, printers, copiers, and other electronic devices"…"Carbon fiber-reinforced composites provide the opportunity to reduce weight and to provide shielding from electromagnetic interference for portable electronic equipment. Many current projects concentrate on these applications."

Does any of that sound familiar? I remeber Apple bragging about Titanium and its properties, but I don't remember anything specific to carbon-fiber. Maybe they're using it as a composite material?

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: Wha?

Originally posted by MacAztec
You must treat the poor baby like sh*t!

If you treated it right, it would not do that!

Seems to me as if you painted it, because Titanium does not just "flake" off...

You realize that the surface you can see on a PBG4 is not Titanium, right? The silver/gray is a coating. Titanium is a pale coppery color.

My PB (667) has a little of that. I've assumed it to be a consequence of having my hands and wrists on the keyboard surface for most of any time I'm not asleep. If the blistering on the carbon fiber outer ring gets worse, I've been considering just stripping it completely and seeing how it looks in black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.