Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
i don't know if i may have not noticed this before, but the right side of my powerbook creates a red/green foggy patch on my viewsonic CRT when placed close by it.

coincidentally, my powerbook is right next to the crt, and everytime the crt turns on there is a degauss and i think it caused my powerbook to get a little funky.

there's nothing wrong with the powerbook screen, but there's that red/green patch on my CRT screen, whenever i bring the right side close to it. (the left side of my powerbook does nothing to the screen)

what gives?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
orijinal said:
i don't know if i may have not noticed this before, but the right side of my powerbook creates a red/green foggy patch on my viewsonic CRT when placed close by it.

coincidentally, my powerbook is right next to the crt, and everytime the crt turns on there is a degauss and i think it caused my powerbook to get a little funky.

there's nothing wrong with the powerbook screen, but there's that red/green patch on my CRT screen, whenever i bring the right side close to it. (the left side of my powerbook does nothing to the screen)

what gives?

I don't think there is anything about degaussing a crt that could affect a lcd nearby. There is probably a magnet somewhere in your Powerbook, that is doing this to your crt. (therefore, keep a nice distance between your powerbook and the crt)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
EricNau said:
I don't think there is anything about degaussing a crt that could affect a lcd nearby. There is probably a magnet somewhere in your Powerbook, that is doing this to your crt. (therefore, keep a nice distance between your powerbook and the crt)
Maybe the metal on your PowerBook has some kind of magnetical charge on it? I know hard drives have magnets in them but, yeah this is pretty odd. Which model PowerBook are you using?

I agree with EricNau on this one, keep the PowerBook a good distance away from the screen, you don't want to break anything. I had a G3 tower next to my TV and noticed some odd colors, I believe it was the hard drives causing it but, eh... who knows. At least you can degauss monitors fairly easily, TVs are much more tricky.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
^haha that's interesting about the tv.

i have a powerbook 12" superdrive g4

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
orijinal said:
^haha that's interesting about the tv.

i have a powerbook 12" superdrive g4
I have the same model. Maybe the aluminum has become magnitized? I put mine near my Samsung CRT all the time and nothing goes wrong. Very odd ineed.:rolleyes:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
LimeiBook86 said:
I have the same model. Maybe the aluminum has become magnitized? I put mine near my Samsung CRT all the time and nothing goes wrong. Very odd ineed.:rolleyes:

I don't think aluminum can "become" magnetized. (atleast not like that)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am not sure about powerbooks, But their are 2 magnets imbedded inside the case of the iBooks.

1 Magnet is located near the latch in order to cause the hook to pop out of the top half of the case.

The other magnet is located in the back near were the LED light is located on the Keyboard. The powerbook may have similar magnets, and or the magnet from the Microphone could be effecting the CRT screen.

If any of these are true, it sounds like you may have a hyper sensitive CRT screen!

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
My guess is that the batteries of HD is/are putting out a magnetic field.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
this only happens when i put the right side of the screen (propped up and on) close to the monitor. no other spot causes these colours. (ie. imagine the screen on and right in front of the crt screen, the back of the powerbook screen --where the apple logo is, is facing the screen)

Kuhnaydeein

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
I just found this thread through Google, so if it's old and resolved I'm sorry for resurrecting it...

I've got the same 12" PowerBook (1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 60GB HDD etc) and I was recently fiddle-farting around with the wireless and trying any possible method to increase the wireless signal. Well, out of desperation I grabbed the first metal object I could find and stuck it next to the monitor on the left side (the side toward the window where the wireless is closest) and got nothing.

Then I stuck the knife next to the right-hand side of the monitor. It stuck with a noticeable internal 'click' occurring in the monitor.

OK, weird.

The magnet is powerful enough to hold the knife against the back of the screen. What is it for? It makes a noticeable click noise like there's a switch in there, but it's not putting the monitor to sleep or anything... I just don't get it.

I think this is what's causing the need for degaussing in your CRT next to your laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.