Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Delta Air Lines is testing 22 iPads as "EFBs" or electronic flight bags, in an effort to save weight and improve communications with its pilots, according to Flightglobal.

Steve Dickson, Delta's senior vice president for flight operations, said that each iPad is loaded with "Jeppesen Mobile TC charting software, a GoodReader document viewer that contains all of our manuals in an electronic format, and the Journey browser, which allows access to iCrew. A Delta Meteorology app provides access to pilot-tailored graphical weather information and real-time looped Delta radar. Each pilot will have access to their Delta e-mail account and calendar."

delta2.jpg

Delta's domestic fleet has been fitted with Gogo's in-flight Wi-Fi system, giving the pilots access to the Internet as needed, and Delta is studying options for international in-flight Wi-Fi. The carrier sees lots of potential for continuously connected pilots:
We are going to pursue real-time security advisories, reroute information and electronic auto sign-in when [pilots] are in range of the airport or a specific gate. A tablet device sets the foundation for a paperless cockpit of course with flight plan and charter packet uploads, theatre guides and trans-oceanic step by step information, simplified NOTAMs, e-Checklists, and instant reporting access just to name a few opportunities. Essentially, we have only begun to identify the limitless possibilities, and there is no question that we see this as a potential to change the way we do business both immediately and long-term.
The airline plans to test 16 Motorola Xooms as well. Pilots are authorized to use the devices pre-flight and above 10,000 feet, the same restrictions that passengers have.

Other airlines have been experimenting with replacing bulky paper maps with iPads, but Delta believes using the iPad as a way to communicate with pilots in real time has great potential.

(Photo courtesy Flickr/Skinnylawyer)

Article Link: Delta Testing iPads for Real-Time Communications With Pilots

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
As a corporate pilot, I think this will be really revolutionary for the Delta pilots. Hopefully it will filter down to the other segments of aviation in the next few years.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Cue all the "ooh I don't know about this what if it fails/battery goes flat/crashes won't the plane fall out of the sky" comments.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Cue all the "ooh I don't know about this what if it fails/battery goes flat/crashes won't the plane fall out of the sky" comments.

Well, since we're always being told the plane will fall out of the sky if we turn on our iPods from 1-10,000 feet, isn't that a valid concern? Which raises the question, what information system are the pilots going to use for those 10,000 feet when they're not allowed to check their manuals, flight plans, security alerts, etc?

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Well, since we're always being told the plane will fall out of the sky if we turn on our iPods from 1-10,000 feet, isn't that a valid concern? Which raises the question, what information system are the pilots going to use for those 10,000 feet when they're not allowed to check their manuals, flight plans, security alerts, etc?

It's over-precaution and the fear of 200 devices interfering, not one. Pilots are allowed to do anything they think is necessary, obviously.

Most of the important stuff is done while the plane is safely on the ground, most of the time flights are routine and they don't need to refer to much of anything. They'll have a backup and if push comes to shove they can just radio for help.

This is the reality of commercial flight these days, give or take a faulty pitot tube:

1. Get into the cockpit, configure your airplane and autopilot
2. Taxi and take off
3. Engage the autopilot
4. Have something to eat, chat up the stewardess if she's cute, sleep
5. When you get to the destination click the landing button on the autopilot
6. Once the plane lands itself, taxi to the gate, do it all again or go home

lilbitbrit

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My dad is part of a group working on this project. I helped him him update/sync about 30 iPads.

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
We already use Jeppesen TC and it's SOOO much easier than monthly paper updates. It has to be the way forward...

DonnyP

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Is the Delta Meteorology App a real iPad App or a link to a company website? Seems like the only one that is not a commercial app.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
As a corporate pilot, I think this will be really revolutionary for the Delta pilots. Hopefully it will filter down to the other segments of aviation in the next few years.

Most of it already has. The Jeppesen and GoodReader apps are on the app store, meteorology and NOTAMS can be done with DUATS (also on the app store) or with a browser to the AOPA website. All Delta is adding is a portal to their iCrew website and their own meteorology app. The big thing is that since a major airline has decided to go this route, smaller airlines may feel more comfortable following suit. Private pilots have had access to this for a while.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
It's over-precaution and the fear of 200 devices interfering, not one. Pilots are allowed to do anything they think is necessary, obviously.

Most of the important stuff is done while the plane is safely on the ground, most of the time flights are routine and they don't need to refer to much of anything. They'll have a backup and if push comes to shove they can just radio for help.

This is the reality of commercial flight these days, give or take a faulty pitot tube:

2. Taxi and take off
3. Engage the autopilot

If pitot tube fails look at the GPS on the iPad and the altimeter app. If plane drops than put stick forward... Wake up Captain. Do not, repeat, do not pull back ...?:rolleyes:

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My dad is part of a group working on this project. I helped him him update/sync about 30 iPads. I've got pics if interested.

I am interested in seeing these pics.

DonnyP

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011

My dad is part of a group working on this project. I helped him him update/sync about 30 iPads. I've got pics if interested.

lilbitbrit,
I would like to see pics too, can you contact me off line?
idcwdszo @ sharklasers (dot) com

David Webb

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011

2. Taxi and take off
3. Engage the autopilot

That's the most inaccurate statement regarding commercial flying i have heard recently.

But. As a commercial airline pilot myself its interesting to see one the major airlines taking this up. I'm led to believe they have been fairly widely used recently in the biz jet and GA sector. The airline i work for is running a similar trial. Sadly not with the iPad though as its not CAA approved yet just FAA. Sure it wont take long for us to catch up though.

lilbitbrit i too would be interested in your pics!

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm all for meteorological maps, security updates, etc. but it seems to me that pilots should not be reading their email mid-flight. I know that the auto-pilot takes care of a lot of the cruising, but I don't think pilots need any distractions.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
That's the most inaccurate statement regarding commercial flying i have heard recently.

But. As a commercial airline pilot myself its interesting to see one the major airlines taking this up. I'm led to believe they have been fairly widely used recently in the biz jet and GA sector. The airline i work for is running a similar trial. Sadly not with the iPad though as its not CAA approved yet just FAA. Sure it wont take long for us to catch up though.

lilbitbrit i too would be interested in your pics!

Well I'm not a pilot, so it's not deadly accurate, just a general idea. Did I get the flirting with the stewardess bit wrong? You have to admit that the actual flying is heavily automated. I'm sure that pilots take care of exceptional circumstances, weather, turbulence and required manual interventions, but where am I wrong?

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
This is potentially the most important inroad Apples product has achieved.
FAA and especially insurance rules make it notoriously difficult to get something approved for use. Right now it is likely a low level certification, but it will pave the way for universal acceptance.

Apple should set up a task force with the airlines, AOPA, FAA, and US Military to better integrate the iPad to needs of air transportation.
Under that threat, I am sure companies like Honeywell, Garmin, and others would try and join in.

My dad is part of a group working on this project. I helped him him update/sync about 30 iPads.

Do tell more! :D

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs

Those that worry can take comfort in knowing that we'll be able to keep it charged using the cigarette lighter.

----------

I'm all for meteorological maps, security updates, etc. but it seems to me that pilots should not be reading their email mid-flight. I know that the auto-pilot takes care of a lot of the cruising, but I don't think pilots need any distractions.

Well, our company mail account is related to operational notices and bulletins, not chat with friends. But I am sure it will be properly restricted.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

It already has. The pilots over at ASA have already replaced paper charts with iPads for EFBs. and as already mentioned, DLH and KLM have been doing this for a while. While it isn't DAL's fault, the FAA is being slow to adopt this. But if it works for a US domestic like ASA, and a legacy carrier, I'd expect this to work with all other US domestics that want to transition to it.

Expect AAL and SWA to be next, as they are throwing WiFi onto their fleet as well.

BL.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
How about internet on transatlantic flights? Lufthansa already has it? Where are you with this, Delta, KLM...? :confused:

This would take a dual installation of systems and antennas on the aircraft. The US, being so large geographically, is well suited to the cell system employed by Delta since a vast majority of our flying is over the US. European carriers, regularly have to cross international boarders even when staying within a geographic area smaller than the US, so the K band radio, satellite system they use makes sense and works over open ocean. However, it is more expensive to the passenger and they charge over $10 (US) per hour of service, where the system Delta uses, while tiered slightly based on flight duration is either $5, $10 or $13 (rounded up) for the entire flight, even if a 6 hour transcon flight. And you can get an unlimited plan for only $39 per month, equal to only 4 hours on a Lufthansa flight. The systems are expensive to install, and add drag (minor-but measurable) and weight to the aircraft by virtue of external antenna and hardware on board. I doubt the pay-off for installation and maintenance is there for inclusion of the second system for international-capable aircraft anytime soon.

supermag

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Toronto
Pilots using the same tool as my nephew uses to watch elmo? Really?

I love my iPad, but come on. I don't understand why as soon as something has an “I" in the name, it becomes revolutionary. This type of technology should be built into the plane, and hard copy back-ups right in the cock pit. What happens when the internet goes down? What happens if the battery does not charge? Oh what happens if it freezes up yeah it’s happened. I can say I am not comfortable knowing that airliners are considering using the same tool I use to play Elmo and friends to my nephew. BTW This technology has been around for decades, but NOW it has a neat touch screen and it's really light, so let's use it in flight! c'mon let's get real.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.