Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's very... Google. The cards. It does look fresh and new though and I like it.

This is exactly how I feel, but that is not a bad thing. Ever since google switched to material design and cards I have been a huge fan. The lock screen is crazy how similar it is.

There is so much more information available at a glance. I honestly rarely have to unlock my phone now or even press the power button. All information is available and "actionable" right from the lock screen.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
We went from edge to edge design to a an ugly, extremely rounded card view.

Huge bolded fonts that just makes me wanna gag, what happened the to the title bar?

A lot of the elements take up a lot of space as well, the menu bar for iMessages? Terrible!
I like it actually :p

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 286

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
As someone who has spent 10+ years in the visual design industry and has seen a myriad of trends both good and bad, I am extremely disappointed with this design language direction by Apple.

Did Apple fire most of their senior design staff? What the hell were these guys thinking?
  • Various states of transparency for elements.
  • The "shadow buttons" on the control center look garish.
  • It's always bothered me that the Messages icon on iOS remains green while on macOS it's blue+white w/ different icon.
  • The font weight range is all over the place (FYI super heavy font / weights are almost always NOT the answer).
  • For a company purported to have wanted to simplify the UX of the Music app - it's a bigger mess now than it was. Seriously we're back to hiding shuffle and repeat again?
  • Messages app is just... wow. I get that Apple are going after a really large segment of users who want FB Messenger and Snapchat-like features, but holy ****, Fischer-Price and/or Mattel come to mind.
  • Still poring over stuff but just... I guess I've come to expect more out of a company whose bread and butter used to be an eye for design.

Some interesting comments. Curious if we might have seen any of your work in public? Might help contrast the good (yours) with the bad (Apples)

stoomc

Suspended
May 11, 2015
Can someone tell me if any of the iMessage features work on a third party app?
(like Whatsapp)
Sending a sketch for example, is that possible to do in another app besides iMessage?

Thanks.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
The music scrubber is very hard to use in control centre now, as a result of multiple cards. This kind of thing isn't easily recoverable unless they undo some major design decisions...
Shouldn't be too hard to fix. The volume control works just fine. Otherwise, very frustrating.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Can someone tell me if any of the iMessage features work on a third party app?
(like Whatsapp)
Sending a sketch for example, is that possible to do in another app besides iMessage?

Thanks.

There's no integration with other apps. AFAIK no other app does or ever did use the iMessage controls, at least none I ever came across.

Reactions: stoomc

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I wonder what's Apple's rationale for changing the Control Center's design. The iOS 9 version worked perfectly fine.

Why change it such that you have to swipe to the left (an additional step) to access the music controls? Isn't that less intuitive than the iOS 9's Control Center, where I can control the music directly after swiping up?
There's really no reason for Night Shift to have such large button. Possibly a place holder for something else? I could see Night Shift and Dark Mode there side by side.

Reactions: Costee

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Some interesting comments. Curious if we might have seen any of your work in public? Might help contrast the good (yours) with the bad (Apples)

Didn't you know? Everyone on the internet is a design expert and knows better. Has to be true right? If all these keyboard warriors here who claim that they're so good and could do it better, then why aren't they all hired by Apple? Oh yeah, they aren't experts :p
[doublepost=1466365632][/doublepost]
There's really no reason for Night Shift to have such large button. Possibly a place holder for something else? I could see Night Shift and Dark Mode there side by side.

More than like it will be Dark Mode. There was a twitter post that shows a Dark Mode toggle in Settings and trying to stouch t it gives a pop up "Dark Mode is not currently available"

You can find the post here https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...r-in-development.1977977/page-2#post-23035362

InsoftUK

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
Issue with iPhone unlocking in pocket by itself when the home button presses against an object outside of pocket or inside of pocket, Apple came up with Swipe To Unlock that made this not possible, but as it is now removed we now have this issue. Seems to me Apple forgot why they had Swipe To Unlock.

And is iOS now becoming WebOS, yes it starting to look like that ugly UI that WebOS had, the very round corners and giving even less room for stuff as they also inset creating a border, Apple loves bezel and borders. Samsung 20 years ahead Apple 10 years stuck in the past that what will happen if Apple continues to do but ugly designs for iOS, perhaps it will no look good with the but ugly back of the iPhone, yes iPhone Ahhh, the greatest mess-up of all time.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Issue with iPhone unlocking in pocket by itself when the home button presses against an object outside of pocket or inside of pocket, Apple came up with Swipe To Unlock that made this not possible, but as it is now removed we now have this issue. Seems to me Apple forgot why they had Swipe To Unlock.

That simply cannot happen. You still need Touch ID to unlock the device. Unless you have the inside of your pocket somehow registered as a fingerprint you won't be able to "accidentally unlock the device inside your pocket.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
That simply cannot happen. You still need Touch ID to unlock the device. Unless you have the inside of your pocket somehow registered as a fingerprint you won't be able to "accidentally unlock the device inside your pocket.
You got me thinking, I know it's very rare these days, but it's still possible not to not use Touch ID or a passcode. And those using only a passcode may choose to have their phone not passcode-lock until it's been up to 15 minutes. I'm sure the numbers of people doing this and eligible for iOS 10 are in the single figure percent region, but let's just consider their case for fun...

Traditionally - before passcode were common- phones have always had a way to prevent keys being pressed in pockets which required an action that was unlikely to happen by accident. Turning the screen on and swiping was Apple's implementation which has always been pretty reliable. Now it's turning on the screen and pressing the home button, which seems a little bit more likely to happen by accident as it can happen without a finger. Poor fraction of iPhone users

luchid

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
I really dislike the new design direction. Hopefully this is just experimentation on Apple's part and not something definitive. The music app's information density is a disaster. A 6s Plus screen is completely wasted because you just get larger text and no additional content - and on an SE it's the complete opposite - everything feels cramped and claustrophobic. Spacing, type size, and layouts are all over the place. The whole "cards" scheme looks out of place on iOS. Maps is another case of inconsistency. The whole rounded rectangles on the buttons for Start, end, etc, look very Fischer Price.

I thought we had moved-on from childish looking UI experiments. I'm all for new paradigms, but this is a step back Apple.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I really dislike the new design direction. Hopefully this is just experimentation on Apple's part and not something definitive. The music app's information density is a disaster. A 6s Plus screen is completely wasted because you just get larger text and no additional content - and on an SE it's the complete opposite - everything feels cramped and claustrophobic. Spacing, type size, and layouts are all over the place. The whole "cards" scheme looks out of place on iOS. Maps is another case of inconsistency. The whole rounded rectangles on the buttons for Start, end, etc, look very Fischer Price.

I thought we had moved-on from childish looking UI experiments. I'm all for new paradigms, but this is a step back Apple.

The "new" look is far more fitting than it has been for a long time. Those "rounded corners" match exactly the same rounded corners we've had on Home screen icons for ages. Notification windows with the exception of the matching corners of icons look like OS X (macOS) windows and suits the Apple feel across systems.

Your complaints about the Music app. I guess you don't realize the app is NOT finished (wouldn't even call it 50% complete) So many things will be tweaked and added over the next few months. You're complaining too early based off what you see in right now in an unfinished redesign.

Again rounded corners on the buttons you speak about exactly match the same rounded corners we've had on app icons for ever now. It's making thins more consistent throughout.

The only thing childish is you getting upset over how a piece of software looks.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wow, someone's feelings got hurt... Sorry, I wasn't aware your opinion is the only valid one. I will make sure to consult you on how I should feel about anything and everything.

My feelings didn't get hurt. I'm not the one crying about some changes. You obviously got your feelings hurt with iOS 10 though.

luchid

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
My feelings didn't get hurt. I'm not the one crying about some changes. You obviously got your feelings hurt with iOS 10 though.

No, I just voiced my opinion on a subject. Which is the very reason we have forums and, more specifically this thread. You've come to a thread of people voicing their dislike for the new (admittedly beta) design and started being aggressive at people. Who's the one with the hurt feelings again?

Reactions: tomi03 and KALLT

InsoftUK

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014

You don't need Touch ID to unlock an iPhone, take the iPhone 5C for e.g..
If one opts to have no passcode for a iPhone or iPad then simply pressing the home button will unlock the iPhone or iPad.

If new screen wake future were the phone is tilted is on, turned on by default then running or walking up stairs actually turns the screen on in some positions and if something presses against the home button it will turn on, if the owner has not configured the phone to turn off after so many minutes of being idle it will stay on using power, not much but more than if the screen was off.

So this is a bad idea and a swipe to unlock should be an option in settings, for Touch ID supported devices then don't see a big issue as it will be the method most adopted.

What Apple should of done and most likely in the final will have slide to unlock when no passcode is set.

Just like to point out that I am starting to find Android more and more user friendly, iOS becoming more and more confusing with all theses changes year after year and feel that one spends more time searching were Apple has relocated something.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomi03

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You don't need Touch ID to unlock an iPhone, take the iPhone 5C for e.g..
If one opts to have no passcode for a iPhone or iPad then simply pressing the home button will unlock the iPhone or iPad.

If new screen wake future were the phone is tilted is on, turned on by default then running or walking up stairs actually turns the screen on in some positions and if something presses against the home button it will turn on, if the owner has not configured the phone to turn off after so many minutes of being idle it will stay on using power, not much but more than if the screen was off.

So this is a bad idea and a swipe to unlock should be an option in settings, for Touch ID supported devices then don't see a big issue as it will be the method most adopted.

The 5 and 5c are the only iPhones that are iOS 10 supported that do not have Touch ID. By the time iOS 10 rolls out, the iPhone 7 will release. (5s, 6, 6s, 7) That will be the 4th generation phone beyond a 5. The amount of people who will be still using a 5 after that point will decrease. Then factor in the amount of people who use would still use a 5 and ALSO do not have a Passcode set. That number gets immensely smaller.

Raise to Wake is currently (as far as beta 1 goes) a 6s, 6s+ and SE only thing. Best case scenario is it gets enabled to the 6 and perhaps 5s. This feature cannot become available on a 5 or 5c due to the 5s and up devices are the only ones with a coprocessor technically capable of doing it. (M7, M8, M9)

This change is for moving forward not supporting old outdated, soon to be gone forever devices such as an iPhone 5/5c.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Your complaints about the Music app. I guess you don't realize the app is NOT finished (wouldn't even call it 50% complete) So many things will be tweaked and added over the next few months. You're complaining too early based off what you see in right now in an unfinished redesign.
And how can you be sure it's not even 50% complete ? Are you an Apple designer or something ? Oh no you are not obviously so this is pure speculation.

All I can see is that the same ugly Music app that everyone complain about is on the official Apple website which usually show near finished products.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
And how can you be sure it's not even 50% complete ? Are you an Apple designer or something ? Oh no you are not obviously so this is pure speculation.

All I can see is that the same ugly Music app that everyone complain about is on the official Apple website which usually show near finished products.

It's very obvious that it's not even close to a finished app in its current state. Based off some buttons do nothing, very key things missing that no way will be missing from final, fonts set to smallest show up as they do while set at largest (and bigger than when set at middle)

The Apple site is just showing a preview of iOS 10 and isn't showing a final product. Wouldn't be the first time. Remember the Night Shift icon that was shown on the Canadian Apple site? It was changed 1 build later.

InsoftUK

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
The 5 and 5c are the only iPhones that are iOS 10 supported that do not have Touch ID. By the time iOS 10 rolls out, the iPhone 7 will release. (5s, 6, 6s, 7) That will be the 4th generation phone beyond a 5. The amount of people who will be still using a 5 after that point will decrease. Then factor in the amount of people who use would still use a 5 and ALSO do not have a Passcode set. That number gets immensely smaller.

Raise to Wake is currently (as far as beta 1 goes) a 6s, 6s+ and SE only thing. Best case scenario is it gets enabled to the 6 and perhaps 5s. This feature cannot become available on a 5 or 5c due to the 5s and up devices are the only ones with a coprocessor technically capable of doing it. (M7, M8, M9)

This change is for moving forward not supporting old outdated, soon to be gone forever devices such as an iPhone 5/5c.

If someone turns off Touch ID then Apple needs to have iOS have Slide To Unlock come up.
iPad 4, Air, etc don't have Touch ID

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.