Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
SC
i do not know why it does this and i have not really found a pattern:

the labels up under the drive icons on the desktop sometimes are fuzzy. if i hold the cursor and drag over the icons it will go away. has anyone else noticed this?

kettle

macrumors 65816
yeah....

I have a very messy desktop with junk everywhere, I have seen this a lot since upping to panther. I have noticed that moving a window over the artifacts and then removing does not help, the only thing that seems to help is to select and name change the icon.

64MB ATi 8500 in Sawtooth 450Mhz

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
Re: yeah....

Originally posted by kettle
I have a very messy desktop with junk everywhere, I have seen this a lot since upping to panther. I have noticed that moving a window over the artifacts and then removing does not help, the only thing that seems to help is to select and name change the icon.

64MB ATi 8500 in Sawtooth 450Mhz

That using "windows" to erase poor rendering is a Miscrosoft Windows trick. Since Mac OS X uses Quarts, rendering flaws don't happen because of mistakes in rendering behind objects after they are moved. That's because all window layers in OS X are rendered, even when overlapped seections are hidden. Removing windows over the desktop will not forces a rerender.

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
Re: desktop icon font distorted

Originally posted by tonywalker23

the labels up under the drive icons on the desktop sometimes are fuzzy. if i hold the cursor and drag over the icons it will go away. has anyone else noticed this?

Yeah, I had that for a while. Especially with the labels on icons for CDs and DVDs. But I'm almost certain is has gone away. I haven't had it for the longest time now. It was probably something in one of the Panther updates that shuffled the problem.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Re: Re: yeah....

Originally posted by TigerPRO
That using "windows" to erase poor rendering is a Miscrosoft Windows trick.

Actually, it's a trick from when 9.0.4 went to 9.1, there were strange rendering problems starting to happen with old screen information being left here and there in small fragments. The best way to remove the said annoyances was to move a near by window over each particular artifact in turn.
With the P.D.F. native layering in Quartz, I have pointed out previously that activity in the actual layer containing the artifact, such as selecting the icon in renaming mode will force the layer to renew the corrupted information.

new Info. I haven't seen this since updating Quicktime 6.4 to 6.5. Is this luck or does this follow withother users?

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: yeah....

Originally posted by kettle
Actually, it's a trick from when 9.0.4 went to 9.1, there were strange rendering problems starting to happen with old screen information being left here and there in small fragments. The best way to remove the said annoyances was to move a near by window over each particular artifact in turn.
With the P.D.F. native layering in Quartz, I have pointed out previously that activity in the actual layer containing the artifact, such as selecting the icon in renaming mode will force the layer to renew the corrupted information.

new Info. I haven't seen this since updating Quicktime 6.4 to 6.5. Is this luck or does this follow withother users?

I think you might be right. The issue disappeared very close to that time when I update QuickTime 6.5. Does anyone have QuickTime 6.5 that still has this problem?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Re: Re: yeah....

Originally posted by TigerPRO
I think you might be right. The issue disappeared very close to that time when I update QuickTime 6.5. Does anyone have QuickTime 6.5 that still has this problem?

I've still got the problem with 6.5 too. And edesign, if it makes you feel any better, I don't have a life either :eek:

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Re: desktop icon font distorted

Originally posted by tonywalker23

The fix that I use for this problem is to relaunch the finder.
Press APPLE (or Command ) +option + esc

essentially force quitting the finder

It has worked every time for me.

Let me know if it works for you.

Restarts also fix it too.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
The last couple days I've had a couple of my icons get all pixelated. This has happened when I use command-tab to switch between apps, the graphic that pops up in the middle of the screen (yesterday it was my mail icon, then my iChat icon went) is all fuzzy looking. I logged out and back in which didn't help, then I restarted which fixed it. Didn't think to quit the finder and relaunch though....

Oh yeah, 10.3.2, Radeon Mobility 9000

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yeah....

Originally posted by Nermal
I've still got the problem with 6.5 too. And edesign, if it makes you feel any better, I don't have a life either :eek:

Well, I think it's an undisputed fact that most of us have real lives, considering the fact we use Macintosh computers. It's the PC users that need a life. An iLife, Panther Life, and a Mac Life.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Re: Re: desktop icon font distorted

Originally posted by yoman
The fix that I use for this problem is to relaunch the finder.
Press APPLE (or Command ) +option + esc

essentially force quitting the finder

It has worked every time for me.

Let me know if it works for you.

Restarts also fix it too.

That's not a fix! That's what windoze users do, "oh, just flick it off and on at the wall and things should be ok untill the next problem."

A fix stops the problem happening in the first place. I don't want a third party hack either. It worked fine before, so they should deduce what exactly made it happen.

Another thought, do you ever get the feeling that there are two OS development teams? Like, team A did 10.0 and 10.2 while Team B worked on 10.1 and 10.3. It just feels like some of the feel of what made 10.1 clunky is in 10.3. Am I completely ground bound from my fav conspiracy branch?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.