desktop icon font distorted

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by tonywalker23, Jan 4, 2004.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

i do not know why it does this and i have not really found a pattern:

the labels up under the drive icons on the desktop sometimes are fuzzy. if i hold the cursor and drag over the icons it will go away. has anyone else noticed this?

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

yeah....

I have a very messy desktop with junk everywhere, I have seen this a lot since upping to panther. I have noticed that moving a window over the artifacts and then removing does not help, the only thing that seems to help is to select and name change the icon.

64MB ATi 8500 in Sawtooth 450Mhz

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Same thing's happening here. Radeon 9000 in a 1.25 MDD.

4. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: yeah....

That using "windows" to erase poor rendering is a Miscrosoft Windows trick. Since Mac OS X uses Quarts, rendering flaws don't happen because of mistakes in rendering behind objects after they are moved. That's because all window layers in OS X are rendered, even when overlapped seections are hidden. Removing windows over the desktop will not forces a rerender.

5. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: desktop icon font distorted

Yeah, I had that for a while. Especially with the labels on icons for CDs and DVDs. But I'm almost certain is has gone away. I haven't had it for the longest time now. It was probably something in one of the Panther updates that shuffled the problem.

6. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Re: Re: yeah....

Actually, it's a trick from when 9.0.4 went to 9.1, there were strange rendering problems starting to happen with old screen information being left here and there in small fragments. The best way to remove the said annoyances was to move a near by window over each particular artifact in turn.
    With the P.D.F. native layering in Quartz, I have pointed out previously that activity in the actual layer containing the artifact, such as selecting the icon in renaming mode will force the layer to renew the corrupted information.

new Info. I haven't seen this since updating Quicktime 6.4 to 6.5. Is this luck or does this follow withother users?

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

8. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: yeah....

I think you might be right. The issue disappeared very close to that time when I update QuickTime 6.5. Does anyone have QuickTime 6.5 that still has this problem?

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

10. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Bummer.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

12. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Your Welcome. And do you live on this forum, you do you have a life?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks...again.
    Yes.
    Quite obviously, no :eek: :p

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: yeah....

I've still got the problem with 6.5 too. And edesign, if it makes you feel any better, I don't have a life either :eek:

15. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

Re: desktop icon font distorted

The fix that I use for this problem is to relaunch the finder.
    Press APPLE (or Command ) +option + esc

essentially force quitting the finder

It has worked every time for me.

Let me know if it works for you.

Restarts also fix it too.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The last couple days I've had a couple of my icons get all pixelated. This has happened when I use command-tab to switch between apps, the graphic that pops up in the middle of the screen (yesterday it was my mail icon, then my iChat icon went) is all fuzzy looking. I logged out and back in which didn't help, then I restarted which fixed it. Didn't think to quit the finder and relaunch though....

Oh yeah, 10.3.2, Radeon Mobility 9000

17. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yeah....

Well, I think it's an undisputed fact that most of us have real lives, considering the fact we use Macintosh computers. It's the PC users that need a life. An iLife, Panther Life, and a Mac Life.

18. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Re: Re: desktop icon font distorted

That's not a fix! That's what windoze users do, "oh, just flick it off and on at the wall and things should be ok untill the next problem."

A fix stops the problem happening in the first place. I don't want a third party hack either. It worked fine before, so they should deduce what exactly made it happen.

Another thought, do you ever get the feeling that there are two OS development teams? Like, team A did 10.0 and 10.2 while Team B worked on 10.1 and 10.3. It just feels like some of the feel of what made 10.1 clunky is in 10.3. Am I completely ground bound from my fav conspiracy branch?:confused: