Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
There is also the small program called "BackLight" on Versiontracker. It gives the same functionality while launching in the background and displaying a small icon in the menubar beneath the clock. I will stick to it, may be you would give it a try too.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
No prob! Now, you could look on VTracker for a screensaver called "Lattice". Play around with the settings (I like "ghostly") and combine it with BackLight....
...for the ultmate experience!! :D ;)

Alternatively, use "NerveRot" - at your own risk!:eek:

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
That's pretty funky

I am still a big fan of MarineAquarium and MisterHankey
:)

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Aquarium is payware, and Hankey.. uhm... crapware ;) :D
I´ll keep lattice, I like those OpenGL graphic thingies :)

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by agreenster
How is the performance? Does it slow the system to a crawl?

On my G4/933 with GF4MX I´d say: No.
The screen effect has a very low CPU priority, as it seems. I can happily play iTunes, browse the web, have folding in the background and... I even tried WarCraft III with it - with max details it is still playable :rolleyes:

Watch it! Ok, the capture messed the background, but it works :D
And, if it stinks, you still can turn it easily off and on again!

JupiterZen

macrumors regular
Originally posted by agreenster
How is the performance? Does it slow the system to a crawl?

I have a Dual 800 with GeForce3 (64Mb) and everything in the interface gets a bit slower (depending on the screensaver you choose). OpenGL effects with much blurring and light effects (which I like alot ;) ) do slow down the interface, but simple things are not so bad.

I think the OpenGL effects are only workable when you're webbrowsing and stuff like that. If I need power I turn it off ... ;) :cool:

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i thought that NerveRot was supposed to make you woosy... all i get is dizzyness. perhaps i'll try listening to some techno at the same time.

also, does anyone else know any screensavers that are supposed to make you go really dizzy or woosy? i wanna puke!! :D

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by cb911
i thought that NerveRot was supposed to make you woosy... all i get is dizzyness. perhaps i'll try listening to some techno at the same time.

also, does anyone else know any screensavers that are supposed to make you go really dizzy or woosy? i wanna puke!! :D

Hmmm, you might want to check out:
- Field Lines (at certain settings really uncomfortable)
- Flux (just imagine a 3D starscroller with trails and colors)
- Plasma (you have to sit close to the screen though to become dizzy)

That´s about it for now... you stoner!!! :D

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
they're sweet!!! :D

does anyone know some exact settings for Field Lines that will make me really dizzy? i'll have a play around with all of them, but if someone already knows all the good settings... that will save me alot of time. :) :D

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
back on topic....

are these programs shareware or are the free?

I will make a program to set the screensaver as the background if you would like me to.... and distribute it for free.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Computer_Phreak
back on topic....

are these programs shareware or are the free?

I will make a program to set the screensaver as the background if you would like me to.... and distribute it for free.
Backlight is FREE, and works a treat! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.