Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Is there a way to determine which vendor the screen in an iPhone 7 Plus is from?

I recall reading Apple is getting panels from Sharp (now owned by Foxconn btw) and Japan Display (a joint venture between Sony, Toshiba and Hitachi).

How can I tell which panel a phone is built with, from the serial or by plugging in?

I never buy anything right when it comes out and prefer to wait for the issues to be sorted out.

So I just got a couple of iPhone 7 Plus devices now that they have been cranking them out for a while. One had a satisfactory blueish screen (like my iPhone 6 devices) and was a keeper.

The second one however went back and I am now on my 4th replacement.
Insanity! But I can't settle for the garbage yellowish (warmer) color temp.

All phones I have gone through were made in the Zhengzhou (Foxconn) factory.

These two iPhone 7 Plus devices pictured were made in the 52nd week 2016 (left) and 1st week of 2017 (right).
These two are the best ones I have received so far and in person the one on the left looks better.

One of my iPhone 6 devices is on the far left set to the same brightness for comparison.

IMG_5374.JPG

Last edited:

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
This is... pretty insane. My iPhone 7 Plus has a slightly warmer display than my 6 Plus did, but I lived with it for two days and just got used to it. If you've gotten it swapped four times and still aren't pleased, I'm not sure you ever will be. :-\

nickelro

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2013
Is there a way to determine which vendor the screen in an iPhone 7 Plus is from?

I recall reading Apple is getting panels from Sharp (now owned by Foxconn btw) and Japan Display (a joint venture between Sony, Toshiba and Hitachi).

How can I tell which panel a phone is built with, from the serial or by plugging in?

I never buy anything right when it comes out and prefer to wait for the issues to be sorted out.

So I just got a couple of iPhone 7 Plus devices now that they have been cranking them out for a while. One had a satisfactory blueish screen (like my iPhone 6 devices) and was a keeper.

The second one however went back and I am now on my 4th replacement.
Insanity! But I can't settle the garbage yellowish (warmer) color temp.

All phones I have gone through were made in the Zhengzhou (Foxconn) factory.

These two iPhone 7 Plus devices pictured were made in the 52nd week 2016 (left) and 1st week of 2017 (right).
These two are the best ones I have received so far and in person the one on the left looks better.

View attachment 683328
Nobody knows who is the panel supplier judging by the device' serial number / IMEI, mfg week or plant. On the same basis, I've been through 5 (five) units until I found one that is awesome (regarding screen quality in the first place and then the device itself).
Regarding the photo, the unit on the left indeed seems to have a decent screen, although there's a slight shift to yellow in the bottom right corner, and also the top right corner is a bit darker. The one on the right side is rubbish (rainbow effect all over, darker on the right side from top to bottom etc.).

Reactions: RichardF

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
This is... pretty insane. My iPhone 7 Plus has a slightly warmer display than my 6 Plus did, but I lived with it for two days and just got used to it. If you've gotten it swapped four times and still aren't pleased, I'm not sure you ever will be. :-\

I don't mean to be rude but your post does nothing for this discussion.

I did explain one of the two phones was great out of the box. It is possible to get a good panel.

The second phone is being replaced over and over. It's completely random. I could have gotten an equally good one after the first replacement.

Because you got used to it... does not mean I or someone else should/ can.
I am sorry, again, I don't mean to be rude.

Nobody knows who is the panel supplier judging by the device' serial number / IMEI, mfg week or plant. On the same basis, I've been through 5 (five) units until I found one that is awesome (regarding screen quality in the first place and then the device itself).
Regarding the photo, the unit on the left indeed seems to have a decent screen, although there's a slight shift to yellow in the bottom right corner, and also the top right corner is a bit darker. The one on the right side is rubbish (rainbow effect all over, darker on the right side from top to bottom etc.).

Great eye @nickelro!

The others I sent back were even worse.

Thank you for your post.

Last edited:

nickelro

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2013
Great eye @nickelro!

The others I sent back were even worse.

Thank you for your post.

Thanks @RichardF - regarding the great eye, sometimes (like this one right here) I'm thinking that my eyes are actually the ones having issues spotting these little things / nuances that are not quite right :)
Glad my post helped.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I can understand wanting a cooler screen. I did this in 2010. But in 2011 and on I just jailbroke my phone and installed a tweak that adjusted the temperature of the screen.

iOS 10 now includes this option and it does the same thing that tweak did for me since 2011 (color profiles)

But it's random. You can buy 10 iPhone 7 and 9 will have a really warm screen.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Got 6 for the family, 2 7s and 4 7+ and all had great screens compared to my 6s. Was concerned because of all the "issues" that people seem to have. Can't be happier. Good luck OP.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.