Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Wow, that looks amazing! I'd love to have one, but it isn't very practical for living in Colorado or a family man.

Well you have a year to talk the Mrs. into it :)

In my opinion, the nostalgia and pure adrenaline rush on the weekend is worth it. Let's face it, it's more of a luxury car, in the sense that it's not a daily driver. More of a weekend cruiser, sometimes one day a week. Then again I have no wife or kids so maybe my reasoning is different than yours.

So drive the Dream Machine (aka: Van / SUV) during the week with the kids, and the Z06 on the weekends.

"Life is too short to drive a slow car"

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Wow, that looks amazing! I'd love to have one, but it isn't very practical for living in Colorado or a family man.

Sure it is, it gets awesome gas milage.

My Grand Sport gets 18-23mpg!ishhhhhh

----------

Well you have a year to talk the Mrs. into it :)

In my opinion, the nostalgia and pure adrenaline rush on the weekend is worth it. Let's face it, it's more of a luxury car, in the sense that it's not a daily driver. More of a weekend cruiser, sometimes one day a week. Then again I have no wife or kids so maybe my reasoning is different than yours.

So drive the Dream Machine (aka: Van / SUV) during the week with the kids, and the Z06 on the weekends.

"Life is too short to drive a slow car"

I would say he needs to talk the mrs into it for sure.

But I would disagree that its only a weekend car, as long as its nice weather, I drive my Grand Sport convertible every day, rain or shine. Just keep it out of the snow, and I've driven it cross country more than once.

Though keep in mind a Grand Sport is much more DD friendly than a Z06.

That's what I've always liked about newer Corvettes, fast and fun. And unlike a super delicate European super car, you CAN use them every day. Not to say I wouldn't kill for a Ferrari, the 458 is one of the best cars Ive ever driven in my life. It looks stunning, its perfectly balanced. The engine sounds like the voice of the automotive god. And with the roof down, you cant beat it. ( Rented one for a week in France, that wasn't cheap lol ). But as great as it is, you could never use it everyday. A Corvette, you can.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I want the new Z06....

And I don't know which I like better...

The Colorado.

2015-Chevrolet-Colorado-Z71-front-three-quarters.jpg

or the GMC Mini Me, sorry Canyon.

2015-gmc-canyon-photo-564257-s-986x603.jpg

The Canyon does have more features than the Colorado like a 2 speed transfer case, autotrac( auto 4wd), better interior, etc. But in terms of styling, I like both!
I don't know why GM bothers with either of these anymore. They are so small.

And am I the only one that hates what Ford is doing with their front ends.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Because not everyone needs or wants a full sized truck? I still wish Ford made a Ranger sized truck.
The truck they never should have dropped was the Dodge Dakota. I love mine. The Old Rangers were way to small just like the first Tacomas

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
The truck they never should have dropped was the Dodge Dakota. I love mine. The Old Rangers were way to small just like the first Tacomas

The only thing I ever liked about Dakotas was that you could get a V8, and they looked nice. Esp with the offroad package.

The problem the Dakota had, which probably explained the sales numbers that were never awesome was that, it's to big to really be that much different from a Ram 1500, and not really small enough to have the advantages of a " city truck " like a Ranger, or a GMC Mini Me ;) Or a Tacoma or anything like that. So it's no wonder they eventually pulled it.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The only thing I ever liked about Dakotas was that you could get a V8, and they looked nice. Esp with the offroad package.

The problem the Dakota had, which probably explained the sales numbers that were never awesome was that, it's to big to really be that much different from a Ram 1500, and not really small enough to have the advantages of a " city truck " like a Ranger, or a GMC Mini Me ;) Or a Tacoma or anything like that. So it's no wonder they eventually pulled it.
The Canon and Colorado were so stripped down that there was no point to them, and the Tacoma is so over priced.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I don't know why GM bothers with either of these anymore. They are so small.

They are hardly small. You want small? Go look at the Ranger or S-10 which are compact trucks. The Colorado and Canyon( along with the Frontier and Tacoma) are mid size trucks. They are almost as capable as their full size counterparts with a V6, but without the cheapness you would typically find in a V6 full size pickup.

Plus, for 2016 the Colorado and Canyon will gain a 2.8 liter diesel engine.

Also, GM sees some kind of market for it or else they wouldn't have spent the money to redesign the Colorado just for the US market. Meet the international Colorado that debuted a few years ago that is similar in specs to the US Colorado( and uses the same frame).

global-chevrolet-colorado-628.jpg

If you were to get a Silverado with the new 4.3 liter V6, this is the model you will typically find since the full size V6 trucks are mostly fleet sales:

2014_chevrolet_silverado_1500_work_truck_victory_red_in_lima_ohio_99075620303805000.jpg

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They are hardly small. You want small? Go look at the Ranger or S-10 which are compact trucks. The Colorado and Canyon( along with the Frontier and Tacoma) are mid size trucks. They are almost as capable as their full size counterparts with a V6, but without the cheapness you would typically find in a V6 full size pickup.

Plus, for 2016 the Colorado and Canyon will gain a 2.8 liter diesel engine.

Also, GM sees some kind of market for it or else they wouldn't have spent the money to redesign the Colorado just for the US market. Meet the international Colorado that debuted a few years ago that is similar in specs to the US Colorado( and uses the same frame).

So did they stock these better, the ones I saw years ago were cheap looking.

----------

What do you mean by stripped down? They come with an engine and wheels.
Simple dash, really nothing but a cheap radio and heater controls.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
[/COLOR]Simple dash, really nothing but a cheap radio and heater controls.

Most of the people who will buy these trucks will buy them for fleet use, they are VERY popular in urban areas. Where size does matter, smaller is better for lots of fleet uses. And when your talking fleet trucks, business's want them stripped out as much as possible. Saves money.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Most of the people who will buy these trucks will buy them for fleet use, they are VERY popular in urban areas. Where size does matter, smaller is better for lots of fleet uses. And when your talking fleet trucks, business's want them stripped out as much as possible. Saves money.
I thought they had special GMC commercial fleet trucks.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
So did they stock these better, the ones I saw years ago were cheap looking.

Yeah much better than the GMT-355 generation.

The Canyon uses better softer materials and real aluminum( like the Sierra vs Silverado) over the Colorado, but still both have nice interiors.

2015-Chevrolet-Colorado-026-medium.jpg

cyn12.jpg

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

The Canyon uses better softer materials and real aluminum( like the Sierra vs Silverado) over the Colorado, but still both have nice interiors.

cyn12.jpg
Ok those look better. But why the need for 2 models that are basically the same. Even the Silverado and Sierra are somewhat different.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They do ,but lots of small business's will buy from whatever dealer happens to have special deals on bulk purchase's, trade ins or whatever. I've seen fleet stripped Chevys as well as GMCs.
What is the breakdown of Silverado/Sierra purchases. They are the same truck but they price the GMC higher?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
What is the breakdown of Silverado/Sierra purchases. They are the same truck but they price the GMC higher?

No idea, but I've seen lots of GMCs used as fleet trucks, I've seen lots of Chevys used as fleet trucks as well.

Oddly enough, I almost NEVER see Dodge anything used as fleet vans/trucks. I never understood why you never see them.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
No idea, but I've seen lots of GMCs used as fleet trucks, I've seen lots of Chevys used as fleet trucks as well.

Oddly enough, I almost NEVER see Dodge anything used as fleet vans/trucks. I never understood why you never see them.
I have seen Dodges used as fleets but never modified. The same with F-150's. GMC makes a line of straight fleet vehicles that I see a lot of. Modified beds and such.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Ok those look better. But why the need for 2 models that are basically the same. Even the Silverado and Sierra are somewhat different.

Like I said earlier, the Canyon uses softer plastics, real aluminum,autotrac, etc over the Colorado( like the Sierra uses better interior materials than the Silverado).

As you can see externally, the Canyon doesn't look all that similar to the Colorado.

Can see the differences here:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f18/five-differences-between-canyon-colorado-148185/

GMC has a very loyal base even though most of the time it is the same exact vehicle as the Chevy. The government wanted to shut it down until they were shown the books. GMC prints money for GM.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Like I said earlier, the Canyon uses softer plastics, real aluminum,autotrac, etc over the Colorado( like the Sierra uses better interior materials than the Silverado).

As you can see externally, the Canyon doesn't look all that similar to the Colorado.

Can see the differences here:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f18/five-differences-between-canyon-colorado-148185/

GMC has a very loyal base even though most of the time it is the same exact vehicle as the Chevy. The government wanted to shut it down until they were shown the books. GMC prints money for GM.
Is GMC supposed to be the more durable brand. Sierra vs Silverado, what is the difference? I know GMC is known as more commercial but is there really a difference?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Is GMC supposed to be the more durable brand. Sierra vs Silverado, what is the difference? I know GMC is known as more commercial but is there really a difference?

GMC is a slightly more premium brand. Sierra uses real aluminum trim and better quality plastics where the Silverado uses harder plastics and fake aluminum trim. Then there is also the Denali line for GMC making it even more up level compared to the Silverado, but mechanically they are the same.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Would a GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado be able to haul a 19' full aluminum Speed Boat? Both look fantastic.

Looking to buy a truck, my '94 Sierra is on it's last legs... probably has a year or two left in it but might get a new truck earlier. I love 4WD vehicles and probably will go with that over a rear-wheel only. A diesel option is interesting as well.

What are the expected mileages with these trucks?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Would a GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado be able to haul a 19' full aluminum Speed Boat? Both look fantastic.

Looking to buy a truck, my '94 Sierra is on it's last legs... probably has a year or two left in it but might get a new truck earlier. I love 4WD vehicles and probably will go with that over a rear-wheel only. A diesel option is interesting as well.

What are the expected mileages with these trucks?

What's the weight of the boat and trailer?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

cyn12.jpg

Another absolutely HIDEOUS, bulky, ballooned interior from GM that reeks of cheapness a la a turn of the century Grand Prix/Grand Am. I don't care how well built it is, it looks disgusting.

God, everyone on the interior design teams (except Corvetts, and *maybe* Camaro) should be fired. Can't they tone down the gaudy bulbousness of EVERYTHING inside every car?

I say this as a GM owner.

EDIT: Unrelated, I wish Ford still made the Ranger. There are any number of homeowners out there who want a cheap, small truck for small DIY projects around the house, as a third/fourth spare vehicle for occasional use. I live 1 mile from the St. Paul Ford plant that built the Ranger, and it is currently half torn down. I'd buy a small Ranger, but I would not pay for nor park a big-ass full-size truck in my driveway for the 4-5 times a year I might want to haul stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.