Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taco2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
US
I am a member of Apple's Student Developer Connection and I was wondering what would Apple do if they found out I sold my Macbook pro before my first year was up?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Sorry, not sure what Apple would do about it. You wouldn't be able to replace it with a new machine [under ADC] anyway, until you renewed for the following year (you're limited to one unit per year). If you're planning to renew, you might be risking the ability to do so. The agreement doesn't say what remidies Apple can get if you violate that part of the Agreement (at least, I couldn't find any), but I can't imagine it would be more than the discount itself. But, that's just an opinion.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Sorry, not sure what Apple would do about it. You wouldn't be able to replace it with a new machine [under ADC] anyway, until you renewed for the following year (you're limited to one unit per year). If you're planning to renew, you might be risking the ability to do so. The agreement doesn't say what remidies Apple can get if you violate that part of the Agreement, but I can't imagine it would be more than the discount itself. But, that's just an opinion.
As a student ADC member, you only get one hardware discount per lifetime. IE: you don't get one each year that you renew.. you get one, and that's it, regardless of whether or not you renew the next year.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
With the student ADC memberrship you get 1 machine per lifetime. You have to buy ADC select to get the hardware discount in the future.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
They'll cancel your membership and you won't get Leopard for free.

Actually, I don't know what they'd do, but I imagine they wouldn't be terribly happy with you.

taco2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
US
They'll cancel your membership and you won't get Leopard for free.

Actually, I don't know what they'd do, but I imagine they wouldn't be terribly happy with you.

Yeah, I was thinking they might do that or make me pay a certain amount.

taco2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
US
The reason i was asking is because I am thinking about trading my 17" MacBook Pro for a new C2D Imac and also getting a Macbook. Now it looks like that wont happen. I dont want Apple to take any legal action against me. I know i could get away with it but the person would have be able to get AppleCare for it.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
The reason i was asking is because I am thinking about trading my 17" MacBook Pro for a new C2D Imac and also getting a Macbook. Now it looks like that wont happen. I dont want Apple to take any legal action against me. I know i could get away with it but the person would have be able to get AppleCare for it.

I'm really doubting any legal action would be taken against you.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I got my G4 tower through ADC, and don't recall seeing any restrictions regarding sales. However, the rules may vary from country to country.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I got my G4 tower through ADC, and don't recall seeing any restrictions regarding sales. However, the rules may vary from country to country.

From Apple's terms (I assume this is US):

You may not resell or otherwise transfer any items purchased for a period of at least one year from the date of shipment.

Also interesting to note that technically you can only use the system to develop software. Not that they have any way of knowing if you use it for other things...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.