Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I have always wondered how good my 1500 score at fruit ninja in arcade mode really was, there are a whole bunch of better scores but I feel like many are fake

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Can this be programmed to limit scores to a certain amount? If not, it will be a pain for the developers to remove the constant fake scores all the time.

That exists - that's part of the new gamecenter API introduced in iOS7, you can now set for a game or any kind of leaderboard what the max score can be, scores higher than that don't show.

There was more in that session, some of it about fake scores, it's a hard problem to solve but certainly they are aware and trying to make headway.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Finally, only about fifty three years late though. Perhaps now Leaderboards will actually be worth looking at.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Nice, but they need a way of preventing fake scores from getting on the leaderboards. Preventing a disaster is better than cleaning up after one.

As someone who has tons of fake scores on there, this would be hard to do.

It is really easy to get fake scores on there (you don't even need a jailbroken phone).

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
It would be better to put an asterisk next to the dubious scores with a statement at the bottom of the screen saying
* The developer of this game had determined that this score is likely to be false

Expose the cheaters for all to see!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm glad they're allowing developers to cleanup. Honestly though, I was #1 in a game once. It was a horrible experience. Every two minutes, I'd get some crazy person trying to get me to add them as a friend. It was so annoying that I turned off friend requests, and ended up removing the game altogether.

Me too. I was #1 in a tower defense game for a few days, and I got so many friend requests. Had to turn off the setting after a while.

----------

I have always wondered how good my 1500 score at fruit ninja in arcade mode really was, there are a whole bunch of better scores but I feel like many are fake

My game in fruit ninja glitched once. No matter what I did, I couldn't die. Swipe the bombs, nothing happened. Missed the fruits, it just kept going. I ended up getting like 20000 points before I got tired of it and quit. But it saved my high score. I never could get it to glitch again...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
What kind of gain does anyone get from faking scores in a game? Thats silliness.

"Zomg I'm so awesome! I made a fake score for a game I suck at so I can be #1!!!!!!"

afawcett

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
It is really easy to get fake scores on there (you don't even need a jailbroken phone).

That's a shame. I always assumed you needed a jailbroken phone to do that.

Still, it's hard to see many developers devoting the resources to policing fake scores when they are have one of those budget things.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
That's a shame. I always assumed you needed a jailbroken phone to do that.

Still, it's hard to see many developers devoting the resources to policing fake scores when they are have one of those budget things.

Unfortunately not, it is a very trivial attack. I found it by accident while trying to attack another application.

And you're right, I doubt devs will take time to enforce this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.