Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shonor6

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Hello. I have a month old MBA and I've just noticed that whenever I close the laptop or put it to sleep in any other way - the moment I wake it up I see a red error message: "The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off".

After that I can no longer find neither my USB 3.0 WD External HDD nor my 32GB SD card in the device list.

Any help?

Last edited:

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
That's strange. I assume you're not unplugging them? It normally doesn't unmount when put to sleep.

shonor6

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Of course they're not being unplugged, HOWEVER, they aren't connect to the Macbook directly, but rather through a USB hub. Maybe it has something to do with that. I'll try connecting it directly and update here.

shonor6

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I guess I was right, connected it directly to the laptop's usb port and worked like charm. The thing is - I also had an SD card in the slot which worked perfectly, until computer went to sleep. When I woke it up I saw that "not ejected properly" error, but this time, it referred to the SD card. Now Mac wouldn't recognize the SD card when I insert it, however this specific card works perfectly with Windows.

What now?

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I guess I was right, connected it directly to the laptop's usb port and worked like charm. The thing is - I also had an SD card in the slot which worked perfectly, until computer went to sleep. When I woke it up I saw that "not ejected properly" error, but this time, it referred to the SD card. Now Mac wouldn't recognize the SD card when I insert it, however this specific card works perfectly with Windows.

What now?

It will have 'corrupted' but don't worry - you can recover it.

Open the 'Disk Utility' app under Applications>Utilities.

It should show in there under the SSD drive, but you will need to repair it - once you have it'll work again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.