Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Upon further testing, it is most definitely something in the USB drivers. As I said before, on my ver 1 MBA, I had installed the AluMB/MBP version of Mac OS to get the four-finger swipe (which does work). The IOUSBFamily.kext included in this revision blocks DFU mode on the iPhone, so we know it's not a hardware level thing. When replacing IOUSBFamily.kext with the version from my iMac, DFU mode works again without the need for an extra hub like laz66 used.

odotan

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
iPhone DFU mode fix for the new MacBooks

I can confirm that I would also get error 2001 when trying to enter DFU mode with a new MacBook AIR. I have used the IOUSBFamily.kext file from an OLD MacBook Air and managed to enter DFU normally, so the idea does work.

WARNING: Simply switching the files did NOT work and left me without keyboard and mouse after a reboot. I could only fix the situation by entering safe mode (press shift at boot) and following this method:

http://grafikdesign.wordpress.com/2008/02/23/how-do-i-install-a-kext-file/

Notice, you need to delete the file yourself before you can perform step 4.

If anyone needs the IOUSBFamily.kext file from an old macbook air please request it here.

Maybe someone can write a script to automate this procedure?

UPDATE: It appears that the computer has trouble going to sleep with these drivers :(
I close the lid (or manually put it to sleep) and it appears to go to sleep, but just as soon as the sleep led indicator dims, it wakes up again (if the lid is closed it just goes into a sleep-wake-sleep-wake cycle)... HELP!!!

Upon further testing, it is most definitely something in the USB drivers. As I said before, on my ver 1 MBA, I had installed the AluMB/MBP version of Mac OS to get the four-finger swipe (which does work). The IOUSBFamily.kext included in this revision blocks DFU mode on the iPhone, so we know it's not a hardware level thing. When replacing IOUSBFamily.kext with the version from my iMac, DFU mode works again without the need for an extra hub like laz66 used.

laz66

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008

i have a unibody macbook. quickpwn will not work on it without the 4 port hub. it works fine on my friend's previous gen macbook. i did not try to replace the usb drivers though.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I can confirm that I would also get error 2001 when trying to enter DFU mode with a new MacBook AIR. I have used the IOUSBFamily.kext file from an OLD MacBook Air and managed to enter DFU normally, so the idea does work.

WARNING: Simply switching the files did NOT work and left me without keyboard and mouse after a reboot. I could only fix the situation by entering safe mode (press shift at boot) and following this method:

http://grafikdesign.wordpress.com/2008/02/23/how-do-i-install-a-kext-file/

Notice, you need to delete the file yourself before you can perform step 4.

If anyone needs the IOUSBFamily.kext file from an old macbook air please request it here.

Maybe someone can write a script to automate this procedure?

UPDATE: It appears that the computer has trouble going to sleep with these drivers :(
I close the lid (or manually put it to sleep) and it appears to go to sleep, but just as soon as the sleep led indicator dims, it wakes up again (if the lid is closed it just goes into a sleep-wake-sleep-wake cycle)... HELP!!!

Yeah, I didn't mention that you need to make sure the permissions on the file are correct. Sorry about that; I work with such things a lot so it's an automati process for me. Also, since I'm using the Intel chipset-based MBA, I haven't noticed the sleep problem. Could be a minor incompatibility with the new NVIDIA chipset in yours and the old, pre-NVIDIA driver.

odotan

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
Any suggestion as to how fix the sleep issue? Thanks.

Yeah, I didn't mention that you need to make sure the permissions on the file are correct. Sorry about that; I work with such things a lot so it's an automati process for me. Also, since I'm using the Intel chipset-based MBA, I haven't noticed the sleep problem. Could be a minor incompatibility with the new NVIDIA chipset in yours and the old, pre-NVIDIA driver.

odotan

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
Solution for new macbooks DFU mode

I found a solution. It's not necessary to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext file. If you open the file, inside it are more kext files. You need to replace the following with a version from an old macbook:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHub.kext

and

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext

Simply replacing them won't work. You have to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext folder to your desktop (for example), replace the above files(/folders) and then replace the whole folder in its original location like this:

open terminal, type
sudo -s
enter the password
then enter the following (replace "User" with your username):

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
mv /Users/User/Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Wait a few seconds for the Extensions file to rebuild itself and reboot the machine and you should be good to go.

My computer can now detect DFU and go to sleep normally :)

Ps. I'm still checking to see if this method can be further simplified and I will update accordingly.

Any suggestion as to how fix the sleep issue? Thanks.

guerrillaradio

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2008
Of course right after I get my shiny new MacBook I decide I'm going to jump into the world of jailbreaking.

NOPE.

I'll have to use a school computer...

PS

Apparently if you'd previously jailbroken your phone on 2.1 it will be able to jailbreak even on the new MacBooks on 2.2. Confirm?

dimmdesign

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Of course right after I get my shiny new MacBook I decide I'm going to jump into the world of jailbreaking.

NOPE.

I'll have to use a school computer...

PS

Apparently if you'd previously jailbroken your phone on 2.1 it will be able to jailbreak even on the new MacBooks on 2.2. Confirm?

I previously had pwned my iphone up to 2.2 firmware with my trusty old powerbook g4 and everything was smooth! for some strange reason i had to restore my iphone to its original settings but my new macbook pro freezes quickpwn so i'm unable to jailbreak my iphone! I gave my powerbook to my sister and now i'm stucked...

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I found a solution. It's not necessary to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext file. If you open the file, inside it are more kext files. You need to replace the following with a version from an old macbook:

and

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext

Simply replacing them won't work. You have to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext folder to your desktop (for example), replace the above files(/folders) and then replace the whole folder in its original location like this:

open terminal, type
sudo -s
enter the password

Wait a few seconds for the Extensions file to rebuild itself and reboot the machine and you should be good to go.

Ps. I'm still checking to see if this method can be further simplified and I will update accordingly.

Good job going to the lengths to figure that out :) I didn't figure we needed the entire kext, noticing the plugins folder, but I was way too lazy to go through all of them to see what the deal was.

One thing I did notice earlier (when I replaced the entire kext) is that certain devices I have that use the IOUSBCompositeDriver extension caused Leopard to KP until I replaced the whole IOUSBFamily.kext with the original. I don't know if this was a problem related to the entire kext or the IOUSBCompositeDriver itself. At some point I'll test just replacing the two files you mentioned and post back here.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I don't have one of the new unibody macbooks but a question just popped up.
Does DFU mode works for non-jailbroken iphones in itunes? (so that you can restore the standard iphone update in case your iphone gets messed up on its own)

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
I don't have one of the new unibody macbooks but a question just popped up.
Does DFU mode works for non-jailbroken iphones in itunes? (so that you can restore the standard iphone update in case your iphone gets messed up on its own)

Yes.

sirix

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008

and

open terminal, type
sudo -s
enter the password

Where can I find this file on the net? I have unibody macbook pro, and don't have access to an older model.

Thanks

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia

and

open terminal, type
sudo -s
enter the password

Hi I'm new to Mac and was wondering if their is a simpler explanation?
Thanks

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US

Hi could you reupload again? Rapidshare states the 10 limit has been reached.

Thanks in advance

Here is the error message:

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
can someone host these kext files for a macbook or is it the same for a mbp

sk1nhd33t

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
Hi could you reupload again? Rapidshare states the 10 limit has been reached.

Thanks in advance

Here is the error message:

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

here you go :)

click to download

Vonswanko

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Thanks, worked great on my MacBook. Did the same on my iMac and whe you plug into the keyboard, gives the low power error. At least my laptop is back to Pwning. Saw another reply somewhere that has a link to hackintosh for an automator script for this.

Thanks Again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.