Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I'm sorry for being so ignorant on the subject but can I get Diabetes from eating too much sugar? I eat a lot of candy and the other day my brother said I was goin' to get Diabetes, I was like o_O.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
The short answer is yes...

The long answer is that there are genetic and lifestyle factors (like weight and overall fitness) that come into play. Excess sugar every once and a while isn't going to make you Diabetic but a diet with a large sugar content can definitely put stess on the pancreas and mess up the blood level of your insulin. Don't worry about a candybar here and there, but if you drinking a lot of regular soda and/or eating too much candy, it's probably time for some adjustments in your diet.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
No, consuming a lot of sugar won't go giving you diabetes – however, a poor diet high in calories, being overweight, and leading an inactive lifestyle are the main risk factors for developing Type 2 diabetes, the kind that is normally treated through diet and oral medications.

Type 1 diabetes, the kind that requires insulin injections, is caused by the insulin producing cells in the pancreas either being destroyed or damaged due to an abnormal auto-immune response to a virus or infection. Nothing to do with sugar at all.

So, sugar isn't going to give you diabetes directly, but it isn't going to do you a lot of good so far as general health goes. And of course if your diet is poor and you don't get much exercise you could well be making yourself more susceptible to Type 2 diabetes.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Ok thanks guys. Besides the candy, I'm not too bad health wise. Over the holiday break I ate so many cookies and chocolate (a lot of chocolate), it kind of made me think.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
No, consuming a lot of sugar won't go giving you diabetes – however, a poor diet high in calories, being overweight, and leading an inactive lifestyle are the main risk factors for developing Type 2 diabetes, the kind that is normally treated through diet and oral medications.

Type 1 diabetes, the kind that requires insulin injections, is caused by the insulin producing cells in the pancreas either being destroyed or damaged due to an abnormal auto-immune response to a virus or infection. Nothing to do with sugar at all.

So, sugar isn't going to give you diabetes directly, but it isn't going to do you a lot of good so far as general health goes. And of course if your diet is poor and you don't get much exercise you could well be making yourself more susceptible to Type 2 diabetes.
Good to know. I have relatives with type 1 and my parents are afraid I'll get it so they always like to advise me not to eat sugar, or have any juice, or eat desserts.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes you can and more importantly you get it from being overweight and eating poorly. But I'm guessing you're a long way off.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
Good to know. I have relatives with type 1 and my parents are afraid I'll get it so they always like to advise me not to eat sugar, or have any juice, or eat desserts.
If you have a close family member with Type 1 then you are more likely to develop it yourself (it all being in the genes and that), but that's not to say that you can't have foods that contain sugar or eat desserts – but make sure of course they're part of a healthy balanced diet.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
Yes you can and more importantly you get it from being overweight and eating poorly.
From Diabetes UK;

Eating sugar does not cause diabetes. Diabetes is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. However, eating a diet high in fat and sugar can cause you to become overweight. Being overweight increases your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, so if you have a history of diabetes in your family, a healthy diet and regular exercise are recommended to control your weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.