Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
I'm not much of a gamer but have gotten hold of a copy of Diablo II and its expansion pack.
When I put the disk in and try to run it I get the error:

"You cannot open the application "Diablo II Installer" because it is not supported on this system"

Ive checked the requirements for the game and its Mac OS 8.1 or higher and I'm running 10.4.9.
Anyone got any ideas what I can do?

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
I'm not much of a gamer but have gotten hold of a copy of Diablo II and its expansion pack.
When I put the disk in and try to run it I get the error:

"You cannot open the application "Diablo II Installer" because it is not supported on this system"

Ive checked the requirements for the game and its Mac OS 8.1 or higher and I'm running 10.4.9.
Anyone got any ideas what I can do?

Download the native OS X installer from Blizzard's web site, and/or call them and send in your first disc to get it replaced with an OS X-native install disc.

hauntedcity

macrumors member
May 4, 2007
Download the native OS X installer from Blizzard's web site, and/or call them and send in your first disc to get it replaced with an OS X-native install disc.

I recently installed Diablo 2 on my Intel MacBook. Even after dowloading the OSX installer from blizzard.com, I still wasn't able to run the software until I switched the video settings to "software" 256 color mode, instead of "OpenGL". I don't get the cool graphic effects, but at least it works.

Has anyone been able to get OpenGL mode to work?

Thanks,

Doug

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
hauntedcity said:
I recently installed Diablo 2 on my Intel MacBook. Even after dowloading the OSX installer from blizzard.com, I still wasn't able to run the software until I switched the video settings to "software" 256 color mode, instead of "OpenGL". I don't get the cool graphic effects, but at least it works.

Has anyone been able to get OpenGL mode to work?

Thanks,

Doug

Theres not really any difference between 256 colours and Open GL but on intel systems open GL rendering on D2 is not possible.

-Level 27 Amazon in act V Been playing for a week now:D

hauntedcity

macrumors member
May 4, 2007
Theres not really any difference between 256 colours and Open GL but on intel systems open GL rendering on D2 is not possible.

Thank you. I shall now stop obsessing over installation and start with the battles!

e102dmx

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
Somone Help me !!!!

I have gotten the osx native patch and everything. Whenever I try to install diablo 2 it installs half way and it pops up installation failed and this quote below comes up with it. please solve my problem.:(

"The file "/Volumes/Diablo II Install/Support/Diablo II Speech" could not be read, because an error -36 occurred. (InstallerFile::Read)"

Woober21

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
Help!!!!

i am running my new macbook pro on 10.5.1
and i have tried to install Diablo 2 on my mac and it says "cannot install because the classic environment is no longer supported"
Please help i have tried downloading a patch off the blizzard website but it still doesn't work!

zbeebs

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Go to Blizzard's Battle.net (http://www.battle.net) site and create a free account. You can then register your copy of Diablo II with them, which will allow you to download and install the game without having to use the game CD at all - you won't even need the disk to play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.