Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
There was a time when I would have been excited beyond belief by this. Now? "Meh."

I kinda feel the same way. they took to long to release it. I will end up getting it like everyone else, but for the most part the excitement has worn thin and pretty much gone. its like they hype you and hype you and hype you and like a year and a half later they are still trying to hype you and are like are you hyped are you hyped. ahh, no.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I remember playing the original diablo for hours and hours and then of course Diablo2 the same. That just seems like FOREVER ago and I've just lost connection with the game in that long of a time. Not sure I'm going to order it now, which is kinda a bummer in the nostalgia dept.

Skarisa

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Should i wait for the new line of macbook pro or not?

Supported Graphics Card List ordered by performance.

320m is not listed; however, Intel's HD Graphics 3000 is an equivalent is supported as Low Performance.

Rumors are that the new 2012 macbook pro's will not have an nvidia card on them just the integrated one. I do not own a macbook pro yet, but i was saving it for my next purchase and i indeed intent to play diablo 3 on it. Should i just then get one from the current line since that one has the nvidea card on it?
I do not want to play on low performance.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I ordered the Diablo 3 Collectors Edition the same day I ordered my Starcraft 2 Collectors Edition. That was like in 2009 I think.

This is the collectors edition for those who don't know about it. probably sold out in most places by now. But a few are selling it still. $99 in the US and $139 in Australia.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/collectors-edition/

154301_detail_v2.jpg

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Do I have to pre-order the collector's edition or can I purchase it in the store after it comes out? Money is tight right now and it'd be nice to save it for emergencies. Back in the day, I stole my brother's copy of d2+lod, so I have no idea how long the collector's edition stays in the store.

yAak

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
Rumors are that the new 2012 macbook pro's will not have an nvidia card on them just the integrated one. I do not own a macbook pro yet, but i was saving it for my next purchase and i indeed intent to play diablo 3 on it. Should i just then get one from the current line since that one has the nvidea card on it?

We dont know for sure what the MBP will have in it yet, so... it's just "wait-and-see" at this point. I'm looking at getting an MBP this year myself, and graphics power will influence my decision.

But, even if the 2012 MBP doesn't have an nvidia or ati gpu, waiting for it to come out will still make buying a 2011 MBP cheaper!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
We dont know for sure what the MBP will have in it yet, so... it's just "wait-and-see" at this point. I'm looking at getting an MBP this year myself, and graphics power will influence my decision.

But, even if the 2012 MBP doesn't have an nvidia or ati gpu, waiting for it to come out will still make buying a 2011 MBP cheaper!

Wait for the new ones and see. You can always buy an older refurb.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I like the original Diablo I & II dark and realistic atmosphere, now it seems more like WOW from a different view.

I think that it will be a good game, but it will lose the essence of Diablo.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Do I have to pre-order the collector's edition or can I purchase it in the store after it comes out? Money is tight right now and it'd be nice to save it for emergencies. Back in the day, I stole my brother's copy of d2+lod, so I have no idea how long the collector's edition stays in the store.

Yes most likely you will have to pre-order it and pay off some of it. And pay off the rest on the day. Unless you order it online then you have to pay it all when you order it.

The catch is most retail stores pre-order sell out of the Blizzard collectors collectors editions soon after they are announced. So it'll be tough to get one now.

How long they stay in the store? For the stores that do pre-orders, there will be none on the shelves. All pre-order sold out. For the ones what don't do pre-orders probably sold out day 1. I did buy a Cataclysm Collector's Edition for $50 a few months ago, I just saw one in store. And grabbed it. I don't play WoW but I wanted to read the art book and other things. I was jsut lucky but most times months later the only place to get them is on ebay for high prices. And most of the ebay ones have their game code already used.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
I kinda feel the same way. they took to long to release it. I will end up getting it like everyone else, but for the most part the excitement has worn thin and pretty much gone. its like they hype you and hype you and hype you and like a year and a half later they are still trying to hype you and are like are you hyped are you hyped. ahh, no.

I can understand the "meh" attitude to things, since it has been so long since the last Diablo game was released. However, after how D2 wrapped up things, I was surprised that a third game was developed. It will be interesting to see how the plot progresses.

At least Blizzard wasn't trying to string people along for well over a decade saying, "Oh, yeah, it's coming...it's coming..." like what happened with Duke Nukem Forever or Guns n' Roses album Chinese Democracy. Even though D3 was announced several years ago, we've seen this played out at Blizzard before where they would announce a new game was in development, but it would take several more years before it was released. Even D2 was delayed several times from the original release date of 1998 (finally released mid-2000).

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's to help combat the horrific hacking that came along with all client side game files. Who doesn't have constant internet anyway for goodness sake?

I'm looking for a good game to play on the airplane. That's pretty much the only time I have to play games these days.

If the constant internet connection is a game feature then I'll have to pass. If it's just a copy-prevention measure then I'll have to wait for the pirated version that has this removed.

Or I'll wait for the iPad version. Seems like an ideal game to play on an iPad anyway... I have Dungeon Hunter HD and DH2 but they're not even close to the wild fun that was Diablo II...

----------

Nah. Computers never get slower. Maybe there'll be a 15" MBA with integrated only gfx but I am sure they'll keep a pro version around. Either way even if they surprisingly take a step backwards in GFX performance with no option to upgrade, you'll then be able to get the old model for cheap as a refurb for a while to come. Look at store.apple.com under refurbished, some great deals on old hardware there....

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's to help combat the horrific hacking that came along with all client side game files. Who doesn't have constant internet anyway for goodness sake?

I do know a person who doesn't have an internet connection, so he won't be able to play D3, which doesn't make him very happy.

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
iOS

While I share the 'meh' sentiment, I want Diablo 2 on an iPad. The iOS platform seems like a perfect opportunity to re-release older games again. Also, the new retina display on "The New iPad" has better resolution than any console, release the game horde!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I was planning on getting it a few months after release. After all, I have to wait for the pirates to make an offline version. I'm not interested in pvp or any of that.
Bummer about no collector's editions being available after sale, but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
Yes most likely you will have to pre-order it and pay off some of it. And pay off the rest on the day. Unless you order it online then you have to pay it all when you order it.

The catch is most retail stores pre-order sell out of the Blizzard collectors collectors editions soon after they are announced. So it'll be tough to get one now.

How long they stay in the store? For the stores that do pre-orders, there will be none on the shelves. All pre-order sold out. For the ones what don't do pre-orders probably sold out day 1. I did buy a Cataclysm Collector's Edition for $50 a few months ago, I just saw one in store. And grabbed it. I don't play WoW but I wanted to read the art book and other things. I was jsut lucky but most times months later the only place to get them is on ebay for high prices. And most of the ebay ones have their game code already used.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

This. I was excited for this two years ago even during the "Monk footage fiasco" (the one where they released a video on facebook that got awful reception because it looked like a game from 2000).

Now even though it looks fun, I'll wait until it hits the bargain bin.

I know too many people defend Blizzard with the same "Blizzard takes so long because they make high quality games" line but in all honesty there are many companies making better games in much shorter time.

Working Designs used to do this same thing. They had amazing games, but they'd announce a game that wouldn't arrive until 3 years later after the hype was gone.

EDIT: After seeing you can't play this game online, I'm not buying it. Companies need to get over themselves with that. Not everyone has an internet connection 100% of the time. I remember when I worked overseas and found that The Orange Box, despite saying "Offline Play" on Valves website still required constant connections to Steam, making it completely unplayable for me since I couldn't connect a personal laptop to our work network (and we lived where we worked).

Needless to say everyone wanting Orange Box and other steam games found perfectly working "versions" at the local Bazaar for $1. I don't condone piracy by any means but if it lets me play a game I paid $40 for then so be it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
There is a third party software called wine, but I was unable to get it to work...so I just have a separate partition for snow leopard on a flash drive for D2.

Oh, so I have to use Fusion and do it under Windows. Is the big collection pack going to run on Lion I wonder. What a drag if it doesn't.

Thanks...

Benson11

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Wow..great news! Glad to hear this news and can't wait to play the Diablo III.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
System Requirements

• Mac® OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.x or newer
  • Intel® Core 2 Duo
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 12 GB available HD space
  • DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only)
  • Broadband* Internet connection
  • 1024x768 minimum resolution

My Mac mini 2010 has an nVidia 320M... since I switched to Mac I stopped following the GPU upgrade treadmill, can anyone confirm that the 320m will be supported? I don't plan on playing in 1920x1080 either, probably 1280x1024 most of the time.

320M is faster than a 8600gt i think

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I notice the Mac Mini's Radeon HD 6630M isn't listed, either. That's worrying, as I'm about pick one up. Hoping the list isn't definitive...

Any here played the beta on one?

From what I've read the ATI Ra..., I mean the AMD Radeon 6630M is about 3-4 times as fast as the nVidia 320M, I think you'll be more than ok.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
SOOO Excited!!!!

Witch Doctor-ess here I come!!!!

----------

This. I was excited for this two years ago even during the "Monk footage fiasco" (the one where they released a video on facebook that got awful reception because it looked like a game from 2000).

Now even though it looks fun, I'll wait until it hits the bargain bin.

I know too many people defend Blizzard with the same "Blizzard takes so long because they make high quality games" line but in all honesty there are many companies making better games in much shorter time.

Working Designs used to do this same thing. They had amazing games, but they'd announce a game that wouldn't arrive until 3 years later after the hype was gone.

EDIT: After seeing you can't play this game online, I'm not buying it. Companies need to get over themselves with that. Not everyone has an internet connection 100% of the time. I remember when I worked overseas and found that The Orange Box, despite saying "Offline Play" on Valves website still required constant connections to Steam, making it completely unplayable for me since I couldn't connect a personal laptop to our work network (and we lived where we worked).

Needless to say everyone wanting Orange Box and other steam games found perfectly working "versions" at the local Bazaar for $1. I don't condone piracy by any means but if it lets me play a game I paid $40 for then so be it.

I am sure Blizzard and all of the millions of gamers who are going to be playing it will notice that one small gap in the universe where your presence would have been....:(

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
SOOO Excited!!!!

Witch Doctor-ess here I come!!!!

----------

I am sure Blizzard and all of the millions of gamers who are going to be playing it will notice that one small gap in the universe where your presence would have been....:(

The witch doctor does look cool.

Oh and don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging on the game, I'm just not excited for it as I was 2 years ago. (I wish I was, I'd love a game to play) but its just not catching me, even after watching the gameplay videos :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.