Diagnostic & Usage Data --> Reset Count: 1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cman-uk, Nov 16, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Hi all,

I bought my new iPhone 4S from the Apple store yesterday [my previous one is being sent back and rather than get a 'brown box' replacement, I bought a new one in a sealed retail box over the counter].

I just set it up today and flicking through the menus/settings I spotted something.

Settings > General > About > Diagnostic & Usage > Diagnostic & Usage Data > *I have one entry here!!*

It is titled "ResetCounter-2011-11-0..."

Incident Identifier: {long alpha numeric}
    CrashReporter Key: {long alpha numeric}
    Looking at the details:
    Date : 2011-11-01 11:13:19 -700
    Reset Count: 1
    Boot failure count: 0
    Boot faults: 0
    Boot stage: 255
    Boot app: 0

So, it was bought on 15th November 2011. But the date of the "reset counter" entry is 2011-11-01 :eek:

Can anyone explain what the hell this may be? :confused:

2. macrumors 68030

I have 32 ... lot of Safari crashes.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes... but I spotted mine within 10min of turning the device on for the very first time.

It also has a time stamp of 14 days ago. I bought it 1 day ago, brand new.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

4. macrumors 68020

sounds like it took 14 days to get from factory floor to your hands. Not too bad.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

That's to suggest all new phones have this entry in the Diagnostic & Usage Data area?

I'm pretty sure my first one didn't have any entries in there at all. Can you check/confirm either way?

6. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I think that means you hard reset it

----------

You don't have to write to subscribe, go into thread tools, then click subscribe to this thread.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

As per my post a few mins ago, it has a time stamp of 14 days ago. I bought it 1 day ago, brand new.
    How could I have hard reset it?

8. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Guess I shouldn't reply before I read the whole thread.

Apple could have done that, but that is odd.

9. macrumors 6502

It's a strange entry that makes no sense.

Mine says reset counter: 1

I reset the phone a few hours ago and that's the 1. But I reset my phone every week or so. No idea what this counter means unless it went back to zero after my software update.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

And that is my worry. Could it have been a returned unit from someone else?

But I don't see how, as it was a sealed retail box. "Refurbed" ones are supplied in a brown box.

11. macrumors 6502a

My thought is this...

After loading the software I guess that they test it, and sure, if it has the same software that we do... Obviously it could crash... But I think they reset the diagnostics before they ship it out. I think you have a brand new phone that was sealed up like 15 days ago before it was shipped stateside, and I think they reset the diagnostic counter on each and every phone. Only way to test is to return your phone, get a new one and check that setting again... Or see if someone else who's getting a new iPhone can check for us!

12. thread starter macrumors regular

This is my second iPhone 4S and I'm pretty sure the first one didn't have this. I have checked my partner's new 4S and that doesn't have it either...

13. macrumors 6502a

Well...

Well perhaps they only reset the counter if it picks up an error. So maybe her phone never had an error but yours did. I think they only reset the counter if it gets an error.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes.. maybe!!

I just want to be sure I didn't get a second hand / refurb unit having paid full price! Everything else is as expected [i.e. great], this was the only thing I wasn't sure about.

15. macrumors 6502a

Hmm...

Perhaps you should contact Apple and they can hopefully tell you what it means.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

Judging from past experience of their technical support, they either tell you what you want to hear or simply say its not anything to worry about.

17. macrumors newbie

Turn your photo stream off You may not think it works but it did for mines the IPhone 4 I'm not sure for the 4s but for the 4s you may have to turn off your iCloud and May need a battery replacement. If u just bought the phone I recomend iCloud turned off, if this doesn't work please reply back.