Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
i want to be able to dial a phone number or sms from addressbook through my motorola RAZR V3. i open addressbook, click the little bluetooth icon, and pair the phone with the computer, it asks for a passcode, but my RAZR never asks me for it, it just says that the pairing was successfull, but "dial with cell phone" and "SMS message" are still greyed out. what gives? why won't this work?

EDIT: this happens with both my powerbook and iMac core duo (both have a working bluetooth)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
moto phones + mac os x aren't a happy pair when it comes to bluetooth
i think certain 3rd party apps let you do stuff with your moto phone over bluetooth on a Mac (like http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneElite/ ), but otherwise, you're outta luck :rolleyes: :mad: :mad:

I have a razr too (cingular), it pissed me off bigtime the first time I tried to sync calendars and addresses over bluetooth, and when i was transferring files (mostly pictures), as you need to do it one-by-one for the files (do move -> (computer name) ...seems simple enough, but requires pushing buttons like 10 times for each little picture...do this for like 50 images, and you know what I mean :p )

you might wanna go check out howardforums and see if there's anything you can use, but last time i was there looking around it was mostly getting OBEX working on the V3c (as verizon disabled OBEX on their V3c's..)

Yeahhh, another downside: no salling clicker support (http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1949&razr), I don't think romeo works either...moto realllllly sucks for bluetooth, heh.

Stanford

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2006
> 1 connection?

Nice application!

Now, is there any way to run the bluephone (bluetooth) connection and a bluetooth headset connection at the same time? The Razr appears to only permit one connection or the other.

:confused:

Stanford

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2006
The razr will not permit concurrent BT connections with the computer and a BT headset.

The only solution appears to be connecting the phone to the computer via USB, then using the BT connection for the headset. Is this correct?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Stanford said:
The razr will not permit concurrent BT connections with the computer and a BT headset.

The only solution appears to be connecting the phone to the computer via USB, then using the BT connection for the headset. Is this correct?

the point of bluetooth is to only allow one connection.

Stanford

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2006
have you found a way around this problem?

"Why won't my Bluetooth headset work when using BluePhoneElite?
Most phones do not support connections to multiple devices at the same time. If your phone is connected to your computer, it will probably be unable to connect to a Bluetooth headset. While your computer can connect to your phone and your headset simultaneously, OS X does not have the capabilities to link the two together."

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Stanford said:
have you found a way around this problem?

my point is it isn't a problem, it just probably isn't supported i.e. does exactly what it is suppose to do.

http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Apply/Troubleshooting/
Host/guest and multipoint

For each small personal network (piconet) of between two and seven devices, one device always acts as host and the other units are guests. All devices, independent of capability, can take both host and guest roles. If you have many devices connected in a personal network (more than one guest to a host) it is called multipoint. A computer, for example, could simultaneously connect and transmit data to a PDA, a camera, and a mobile phone at the same time. However, some devices, like wireless headsets, cannot maintain more than one simultaneous connection.

Stanford

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2006
Okay - I have accepted that I cannot dial from my Mac and and use a BT headset at the same time. Bummer.

My issue is that my tmobile reception is so bad that my Razr phone can only be in one spot in my entire house (high on a window pane ledge) to receive signal. The BT headset option was a solution, but dialing from the window pane ledge poses challenges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.