Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
I think so... Last month not many people would rock the gold color phones and today it is the color to get.

It's really amazing what Apple influences can do!

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
Did Apple bring sexy back to Gold?

I wanted one just because it wasn't the standard white or black...then I saw it in person. I'm now a space grey owner. The color on the back looks nice but the gold ring around the home button makes it look cheap (to me). I pulse taken a silver phone as well because I had a white 5 but they were harder to get so I went with space grey.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Where did you pull this "not many people would rock the gold color phones" claim from? Out the wazoo? People would have "rocked" gold color phones if there were any, but I don't remember any flagship smartphones being gold.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I think so... Last month not many people would rock the gold color phones and today it is the color to get.

It's really amazing what Apple influences can do!

It's secret mind control!

There are super, mind control waves coming out of Apple devices that make you buy stuff, and like stuff, that you would never go near if it weren't for those rays!

Also...the NSA reads your mind with the help of Apple!

OR

Possibly, folks are influenced by the behavior of others.

Take your pick...

:rolleyes: :p

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
No, Mr. T brought sexy to gold...

mr-t-with-gold-plate.jpg

Then Bieber made it official...

justin-bieber-grill.jpg

Eth123

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
Lots of people buy the gold colour to show others that their phone is the 5s and not the 5.

Ultimately it is still the ugliest colour of the three but it isn't distasteful.

Once the new/different factor wears off its popularity will drop. I bet when the iphone 6 is out, less people will go for the gold option.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Lots of people buy the gold colour to show others that their phone is the 5s and not the 5. > Link to prove this ?

Ultimately it is still the ugliest colour of the three but it isn't distasteful.

Really ? Subjective. Should have said< " It's not pleasing to me" instead of calling it Ugliest. Have you looked at the availability of this color over the others lately ?

Once the new/different factor wears off its popularity will drop. I bet when the iphone 6 is out, less people will go for the gold option.

Your Wisdom is over flowing......Not

http://www.examiner.com/article/at-apple-gold-iphone-5s-is-the-kardasian-phone?cid=rss

"All the evidence suggests that gold is the most sought-after color by Apple customers in the United States and abroad and it is in extremely short supply. The gold-colored iPhone 5s is especially popular in China, where the color gold symbolizes wealth".

rgctx

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
What I don't get is people get gold then slap a case on it.

Might be for some, for me silver/white looks much cleaner, gold just seems tacky.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
I'm sure some people got the gold because they like the color, but I bet most people got the gold because 1) it lets others know they got an iPhone 5s, and 2) it was in short supply.

If iPhone 6 comes in purple, gold, silver, and space grey, and make purple in short supply, people will be fighting for the purple. Same old story.

TarHeelBlue

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I sorta agree with the thread starter. A few months ago, I would have never thought there would be a mainstream gold phone at all. But apple pulled it off, and in my opinion, they did it in a classy way. Yes it's gold, but it looks nice! I would have never imagined even myself liking a gold phone, but I just bought a 64 GB a few days ago and no, not to show off (last phone was a 3G!!!).

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I'm sure some people got the gold because they like the color, but I bet most people got the gold because 1) it lets others know they got an iPhone 5s, and 2) it was in short supply.

If iPhone 6 comes in purple, gold, silver, and space grey, and make purple in short supply, people will be fighting for the purple. Same old story.

Yep. Marketing 101.

I will hand it to Apple. They could market a shellac-covered turd.

I think the gold looks fine. Gold hardware on anything really does not appeal to me (same with brass), but I think the gold iPhone looks better than I thought.

I'd be willing to bet this "shortage" is a demand driver, though.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
They did a rather nice gold finish. I never was into gold, more silver, but Apple definitely caught my eye.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
They did a rather nice gold finish. I never was into gold, more silver, but Apple definitely caught my eye.

Yeah. It turned out rather well. Can't say I'd buy one, but it crossed my mind. More for variety's sake than anything else.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
A color finish is personal taste. I've had every iPhone in black and wanted a change. I don't like the silver so I went with gold. I like my phone in the color I chose. I could careless what you or others think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Popular color for sure. I'm glad the shade is subtle, it actually looks nicer in person. Gold is fantastic for jewelry, watches, etc.,. but I wouldn't rock a gold phone. Just my 2 cent.

Last edited:

TarHeelBlue

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I wish apple secretly made the 64 GB gold iphone with real gold and just never told anyone, how cool would that be! Lol just messin around, ok g'night!

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Your Wisdom is over flowing......Not

http://www.examiner.com/article/at-apple-gold-iphone-5s-is-the-kardasian-phone?cid=rss

"All the evidence suggests that gold is the most sought-after color by Apple customers in the United States and abroad and it is in extremely short supply. The gold-colored iPhone 5s is especially popular in China, where the color gold symbolizes wealth".

+1... this forum is flooded with gold iPhone comments and inquiries..

If the gold color was substituted with purple or some other bright color I don't think the phone will get the attention it is getting now with the gold.

Even Samsung has released a gold version of their popular Galaxy S model.

Apple "made" the gold iPhone the most sought out iPhone to date... maybe they purposely did it by creating a shortage.. maybe not...

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Gold is the "True" iPhone 5s upgrade... if you don't have gold then you do not matter... the true "Jesus Phone" is here. :D

silver and space grey :rolleyes: that's just a 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.