Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How did the firmware update affect your MacBook?

• It got rid of my moo.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • It made my MacBook run cooler.

Votes: 65 70.7%
  • It made my MacBook snappier.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • It made my MacBook significantly faster.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • It caused further issues (specify).

Votes: 17 18.5%

• Total voters

Souljas

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2004
I had the "moo" problem, and now the fix has reduced temps however now the fans run pretty much all the time..

Rare said:
Anyone know how to return back to original?
Anyone know...? I prefer mine the way it used to be with moo's :( . Mine did not moo constantly so at least before I used to get some silence... but now its just a little intense for me.
Edit: Even when I use the compter from a shutdown and the computer is very cool (and the CPU's are less than 35 degrees) the fans instantly start up again, and I can't get them to stop during idle time

maybe I just have poo fans..?

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
Your fans are fine. The fix is doing exactly what its supposed to do. This update makes your fans run on their lowest setting as soon as you press the power button on your macbook, thereby effectively neutralizing the horrendously horrific MOO which was caused by the constant starting and stopping of the fan. This will also help your macbook run cooler as now the fan will be constantly on. As soon as your macbook hits higher temperatures under load the fans will kick into higher gear and cool it back down to under 65 degrees in my case and then switch back to their lowest setting. But yeah, now the fans will constantly run no matter what you do.

And of course, there is no possible way of downgrading to the previous firmware. Other than returning your machine and getting a new one, not that I can see anyway.

EDIT: I might have been a little pissy in my previous post. My apologies to the people who have crap noisy fans. Like I said, my fans run quieter than the processor itself. This definitely is a flaw that should be taken care of by Applecare.

EDIT 2: I'm still sort of a mac newbie. But just as an experiment and to save some hdd space, and to check if speedit worked on my machine after a format, I completely re-formatted my hard-drive and installed osx from scratch. speedit is stil stuck, I've squared with it now, and when i was doing updates after the fresh install the firmware update didn't come up, i.e. it was already present, which implies that there really is no way to downgrade back to the previous firmware. Once it's updated, youre stuck with it for life.

Souljas

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2004
sulhaq said:
Your fans are fine. The fix is doing exactly what its supposed to do. This update makes your fans run on their lowest setting as soon as you press the power button on your macbook, thereby effectively neutralizing the horrendously horrific MOO which was caused by the constant starting and stopping of the fan.

EDIT: I might have been a little pissy in my previous post. My apologies to the people who have crap noisy fans. Like I said, my fans run quieter than the processor itself. This definitely is a flaw that should be taken care of by Applecare.

My fans are very much louder than my processors which is quite annoying especially at night when there is complete silence

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
i run about 10 degrees cooler from 65 to 55 now. the 'moo' was never an issue with me and i expect this to make this even less of one.

the constant 'hum' some people complain about is pretty picky. alot of computers have fans on all the time that are 10x louder.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Question to everyone... my fans are starting to blow at FULL strength when it reaches about 58 degrees now, when does yours come on at an audible noticeable level?

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
wako said:
Question to everyone... my fans are starting to blow at FULL strength when it reaches about 58 degrees now, when does yours come on at an audible noticeable level?

"FULL" strength? Run Boinc for 10 minutes and you will hear the full strength sound. My fan comes on at the lowest setting in the 60's now. If its actually full strength then something is very wrong.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
OK, so I have never had "moo" problems but, I was wondering if I really need this update. When I use my comp for about an hour (macbook), it gets really really hot, I mean jus watchin vids like the keynote did it. It is pretty hot to handle on the bottom top left corner. And when I rest my palm lightly on the esc., to fn. to space bar and up key, they are really warm.

I tried seeing if I could see the tempurature of my mac, but for some reason, when it shows me the reading all i get is "??C". I asked this question...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/226791/

Do I need this update? Does it help more than harm, or is this a normal heating of a Macbook?

Right this very moment, the bottom is too hott to rest my hand on for more than a few seconds. The most heat is coming from under the F1 to F3 keys and the 1 and 3 keys. Should I be worried, my Macbook was just purchased two or so weeks ago.

enclave

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
Rapmastac1 said:
OK, so I have never had "moo" problems but, I was wondering if I really need this update. When I use my comp for about an hour (macbook), it gets really really hot, I mean jus watchin vids like the keynote did it. It is pretty hot to handle on the bottom top left corner. And when I rest my palm lightly on the esc., to fn. to space bar and up key, they are really warm.

I tried seeing if I could see the tempurature of my mac, but for some reason, when it shows me the reading all i get is "??C". I asked this question...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/226791/

Do I need this update? Does it help more than harm, or is this a normal heating of a Macbook?

Right this very moment, the bottom is too hott to rest my hand on for more than a few seconds. The most heat is coming from under the F1 to F3 keys and the 1 and 3 keys. Should I be worried, my Macbook was just purchased two or so weeks ago.

Mine had the EXACT same behaviour, it was to hot for my liking so I ran the firmware update and no more heat issues.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Besides the actual heat I'm worried about, I'm more interested as to why I don't get a temp reading. I had reinstalled my OS a bit after gettin my Macbook, and I had installed iStat, and it did the same thing, and I notice the same thing even after a reinstall...

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I'm ripping a DVD with HandBrake, and the fan is going bezerk! If it wasn't held to the table with the rubber of the iCurve, i would believe my eyes if it moved forward!

Its running a good 10 C lower than before, but its just amazing how hard that fan is going now.

It seems they have just lowered the temperature required for fan operation to 0, because the fan was spinning when the CPU was at 2 C.

They should have made it use 2 thresholds instead of one; fans stay off until, say 60 C, then stay on until the CPU gets to, say 50 C. There will probably be some mooing, but the moos will be 5 minutes long, with a 10 minute break between "moos"

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
This is what mine is doing. Its noiser now than my misses Vaio whereas before the update it was just the moo, now it sounds like I had a desk fan going all the time!

Not looking forward to taking this thing on the plane with me now :(

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Rapmastac1 said:
Besides the actual heat I'm worried about, I'm more interested as to why I don't get a temp reading. I had reinstalled my OS a bit after gettin my Macbook, and I had installed iStat, and it did the same thing, and I notice the same thing even after a reinstall...

to read temps on intel boards you need the SpeedIt kernel extension (something like that). thats what iStat and CoreTempDuo use to give you the temp readings.

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
My already quiet moo is gone and the computer runs about 10C less on the temperature side.

No other noises and I can't hear the fan going all the time.

pinetec

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2006
Red Sox Nation
The only issue I've ever had with my MacBook was the amount heat generated. After the update it does seem to be running a fair amount cooler. I can't really be specific since I don't monitor the heat always. But right now with 4 apps running it's only 59°C.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
I don't have any of those problems, such as moo or whine or heat, so, unless it will cure my sever backlight bleeding, there is no reason to install it.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I had the moo issue before, but after the firmware update it's definitely down about 10 degrees.

However, the fans do go on occasionally and are pretty loud. Kind of annoying, but not a big deal.

adiddas125

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2006
Lixivial said:
Cool 'n quiet now. What once idled at 60 - 67 degrees now idles at 48-50.

Worked beautifully for me.

What app are you guys using to monitor temperature? Core Duo temp?

If thats the case.... Ill report what I have

Im running, adium, firefox, adobe acrobat pro, itunes, and parallels with windows (also a few apps open in there) and I am running at 29 Celcius... At least thats what CDT tells me. Could this even be possible? I am running on a week 30 MB

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Success here too -- the computer now runs at the same temperature while charging on AC power as it does on battery. It used to get alarmingly hot on AC power unless the battery was fully charged.

Best part is that the fan now seems to respond to processor loading as well as temperature. So for a big task -- such as the dataset translating I was doing today in StatTransfer, converting a dataset with 1.4 million observations -- the fan comes on as the processor reaches the low 60s C, gets it back down to the low 50s, but then stays on just enough to hold the temperature there until the task is pretty much finished; then it goes way down to a hum that is no noisier than the processor whine. But it is on at least most of the time now; I think it may occasionally shut off but not often.

The fan never gets obnoxiously loud. If anyone is experiencing an obnoxioiusly loud fan with this they should take it in and have it looked at -- the fan in the MacBook is of large diameter and high quality, not at all like the little hairdryers they had in the titanium Powerbook for example.

Lobos

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2005
Sunnyvale
I just purchased a MB on Tuesday. I didn't update the firmware until the other night. Before the update I didn't have any problems. Now my fans run like crazy. I've never heard fans so loud before. They turn on when I'm even doing anything intensive.

Last night they were on really loud. I had to go into the other room for something and I could hear them even with the door shut. There's no way I can bring it to a class at school or the library if it makes this much noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.