Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
So the iPad infamously doesn’t have a calculator app.
Yet it was possible to do quick calculation with spotlight.
I used to just hit CMD+Space to do some simple maths quite often, spotlight would recognize that it’s math and returns the result.
Now it just sends to Safari…

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
Still works fine for me. Shows me the calculation and result right there in and below the Spotlight bar.

Reactions: jpdunn13

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Way back when first iPad came out - Apple said - design looked terrible on iPad and they would think about re-design but I guess many, many years later they haven't. There are other calc apps

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I just wish there was a calc app that just worked without any need for updates and no need for internet connections (i.e. no calling home, no advertisements etc.).

I'd pay for a 3rd party app if it was completely clean (no ads), one time payment (no subscriptions). Is there anything like that out there?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Way back when first iPad came out - Apple said - design looked terrible on iPad and they would think about re-design but I guess many, many years later they haven't. There are other calc apps
I've never owned an iPad but my mom has one. I'll help her out with an app or process sometimes.

It amazes me how, after all these years, some apps are still not optimized for that screen size and instead feel like they're iPhone apps stretched to fit the screen.

Reactions: Craiguyver

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I just wish there was a calc app that just worked without any need for updates and no need for internet connections (i.e. no calling home, no advertisements etc.).

I'd pay for a 3rd party app if it was completely clean (no ads), one time payment (no subscriptions). Is there anything like that out there?
PCalc has been the most consistent calculator app to date. I bought it when it launched years ago... one-time payment and the developer hasn't made changes to their business model (as far as I can tell).

I know there's an In-App Purchase... but that's for donations.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022

Calcbot -the free version meets these requirements

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Thanks guys. Looks promising, I just have to customize PCalc to get rid of all of the excess keys that I'll never use so that I can have larger number and operation buttons.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019

I use Solves and really like it. There is a trial period but otherwise $10. It has Mac, iPad & iPhone versions that are all invoiced w/ purchase. It has a memory tape that syncs across devices, if you like that, which I do. You can make notes, edit, color code & filter, etc. It's not complicated to use but more than basic. Really fantastic app.

Reactions: muzzy996
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.