Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
First, I am NOT buying an intel mac until they redesign them, or i absolutly need it (which could be a while). I like macs because of Mac OS X. If i were to buy a computer off of design-only, i would have gotten a sony vaio a long time ago. I remember hearing that apple hired sony designers a few months ago so i was excited. But, when i saw the mac book pro, i was very dissapointed. I either want a laptop designed by the new designers, OR Mac OS X on a vaio (i doubt it). does anyone think that i will see that, or if apple has dissapointed me again. thanx.

EDIT: I don't want this to turn into an argument if apple design is better or if sony's is.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Give it some time, the transition is far from complete. Obviously, there are several other laptop form factors to be introduced, namely the iBook replacement -- simply MacBook, or whatever Apple decides to call it. Perhaps that will better suit you.

BTW, why do you feel the Vaio is a better design?

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
I was also surprised that it looked so similar to the al powerbook. I thought having Sony designers would make it look a lot different, but I love the al powerbook design, so I can't complain.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I can't find any vaio that looks even somewhat as good as a PowerBook (MacBook). Which one do you think is so hot?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
As far as I know, Apple hired Sony computer engineers, not sony industrial designers.

By the way, Sony makes some of the nicer looking stuff in the PC world, and you may prefer the style they are aiming for more than Apple's, but it's really just an objective fact that Apple's designs are superior to Sony's.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
My guess is that 2006 is the year to get Intel in the current machines....Apple gives you a new processor but keeps the look familiar......no more shock to the whole transition than needed. 2007 will bring design/cosmetic revisions to all of the lineup. This is just my guess though.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Most likely apple is gonna do the same thing the did with the beige g3 and the first powermac g4. Change the insides keep the outside the same, then change the outside later.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I hope Apple incorporated that very thin LCL panel Sony's new Vaio has. That would make the overall package more thinner. I agree some of Sony Vaio lines look very slick and modern. About 3 years ago, I used to use a Sony Vaio (14" screen notebook) as my work PC and it was well made. But, for a Windows machine, their products are priced higher in the market and I have not chosen their products with my own money. My new PC is Fujitsu Tablet T4020D which looks very nice and make very sturdy (I needed more than just a notebook PC).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.