Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jemo07

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Madrid, Spain
Hello,

I am looking for technical details into the difference of these two platforms?
What intel chips are used? Clovertown, Woodcrest, Herpertown? Can i upgraded to and from what? :confused:

What chipset in each or is it all Blackford ( this is compatible with all these chip? ) are the chips pin compatible... that sort of stuff. :rolleyes:

TIA

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I do not believe there is a late 2007 MP model.

Eidorian is the one to answer this question though.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The original Mac Pro use the Bensley chipset, while the newest Mac Pro uses the Stoakley chipset.

The original Mac Pro uses Woodcrest and Clowertown processors and the new Mac Pro only uses Harpertown processors.

casw1000

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Hello,

I am looking for technical details into the difference of these two platforms?
What intel chips are used? Clovertown, Woodcrest, Herpertown? Can i upgraded to and from what? :confused:

What chipset in each or is it all Blackford ( this is compatible with all these chip? ) are the chips pin compatible... that sort of stuff. :rolleyes:

TIA

ok, I will try and help with some pointers.

Processors :
2007 = Clovertown, 1333fsb 8mb L2 Cache, 65nm fab process.
2008 = Harpertown, 1333/1600 fsb, 12mb L2 Cache, 45nm process, Runs cooler than clovertown revision due to die shrink.

Motherboard / Chipset:
2007 = Intel 5000P (either P or X) Chipset = Blackford

2008 = 5400 Seaburg

I have done a comparison between the two motherboard types. Click HERE This is a direct comparison between the 5000P and 5400 Chipsets. Hopefully that will help.

Memory
2007 = 533/667 FB-Dimms
2008 = 533/667/800 FB-Dimms

PCI-e
2007 = PCIe 16 ver 1.x
2008 = PCIe 16 ver 2.x (this being the latest standard for cards such as NV8800GT or better. ATi is still currently PCIe ver 1.x

Edit 1: You could look at the MR Mac Pro guide Here There is another small and overlooked techie bit that I will add in anther edit soon, once I find it.

I will think of more stuff when I get some time. HTH for now. ;)

-casw1000
fold4life.com

jemo07

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Madrid, Spain

I have done a comparison between the two motherboard types. Click HERE This is a direct comparison between the 5000P and 5400 Chipsets. Hopefully that will help.
Wow! great...
You wouldn't happen to know how long I have to wait for either the Backton/Gainstown Chips! :cool: 4 Cores at 4+Ghz and Nehalem Core (Hyperthreading) ;)

Thanks again for the feedback!

JM

casw1000

macrumors member
May 6, 2005

Wow! great...
You wouldn't happen to know how long I have to wait for either the Backton/Gainstown Chips! :cool: 4 Cores at 4+Ghz and Nehalem Core (Hyperthreading) ;)

Thanks again for the feedback!

JM

Sure no problem. Stares into crystal ball and offers early 2009 for the quad core Nahalem with 8 threads. I jest not!

On a side note. If you are interested, there is something quite new within the 5400 chipset called a Snoop Filter

The link above goes to my own forums, however if you prefer just google it. It's quite an interesting bit of tech, and may well be providing some small performance increases over the previous generation of chipset. We found it interesting there anyway :)

Glad I could be of small help BTW.
Cheers,
-casw1000
fold4life.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.