diff viewer, similar to winmerge for OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Oats, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Oats macrumors regular

hi,
    so just a few days ago my new macbook finally arrived, and i am getting used to using OS X as my primary OS for the first time in years.

anyway, i am looking for a file difference viewer for mac os x, similar to winmerge, which is fanTASTIC, by the way.
    http://winmerge.org/

the idea is to view two text files side by side, and the differences between the two are highlighted, and you can edit one file or the other. any ideas? i guess this is most useful to a programmer, though not necessarily.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

The Mac OS X developer's tools (available on your OS X install DVD) include a little utility called FileMerge.

3. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

FileMerge provided is pretty worthless as far as I am concerned. It does not allow you to edit within the program, or merge changes from one side to the other. Any other ideas?

4. Tinny macrumors newbie

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm not sure I understand the OP's dislike of FileMerge. It most certainly does let you edit within the program as well as do a standard two-way merge. There may be niceties in other programs that it's missing, but for basic diffing and merging, it works just fine. I do use Kaleidoscope (not free) for diffs because I like the UI, but since it can't do merging, I use FileMerge for merging.

6. interrobang macrumors 6502

There's a good one built into TextWrangler (and BBEdit.)