Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
hi,
so just a few days ago my new macbook finally arrived, and i am getting used to using OS X as my primary OS for the first time in years.

anyway, i am looking for a file difference viewer for mac os x, similar to winmerge, which is fanTASTIC, by the way.
http://winmerge.org/

the idea is to view two text files side by side, and the differences between the two are highlighted, and you can edit one file or the other. any ideas? i guess this is most useful to a programmer, though not necessarily.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
FileMerge provided is pretty worthless as far as I am concerned. It does not allow you to edit within the program, or merge changes from one side to the other. Any other ideas?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm not sure I understand the OP's dislike of FileMerge. It most certainly does let you edit within the program as well as do a standard two-way merge. There may be niceties in other programs that it's missing, but for basic diffing and merging, it works just fine. I do use Kaleidoscope (not free) for diffs because I like the UI, but since it can't do merging, I use FileMerge for merging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.