Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bulb

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Is there a link anywhere online that explains all the differences between iBook and powerbooks ? If not can someone explain the differences for me ? A mate is about to do a big upgrade and hes not too technical..

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The DDR2 PowerBooks are running another newer chipset right now, the DDR PowerBooks are basically the same as the iBook (just different features and packaging.)

DDR2 PowerBook 15

050761031705_01.gif

DDR iBook

050427021704_01.gif

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Sun Baked said:
The DDR2 PowerBooks are running another newer chipset right now, the DDR PowerBooks are basically the same as the iBook (just different features and packaging.)

DDR2 PowerBook 15

050761031705_01.gif

DDR iBook

050427021704_01.gif

Methinks that the iBook image isn't up to date since the new iBooks have the Sudden Motion Sensor, too.

The iBook and Powerbook aren't all that different anymore. The Powerbooks have faster processors, backlit keyboards (minus the 12"), and different ports. The iBooks have a better Wi-Fi reception and other than that, it's just a slightly watered down Powerbook. I was going to buy the 15" Powerbook back in August, but decided on the 14" iBook since it was almost the same machine.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Warbrain said:
Methinks that the iBook image isn't up to date since the new iBooks have the Sudden Motion Sensor, too.
But the iBook still has the old DDR Intrepid system controller, while the PowerBook has updated to the DDR2 capable Intrepid2 system controller.

The Intrepid2 should be able to handle the higher 200Mhz bus speed of the 7448, while the iBooks old controller likely will not.

The major differences are not the I/O, but the actual chipset used.

---

Though Apple is behind on the developer site, the iBook upgrades got no update and the DDR2 PowerMac/iMac have no mention yet either -- and the DDR2 machines likely had major changes.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2005
When you slide your hand across powerbook's surface its smooth and soft and your hand easily glides across surface. With the ibook its more of a bumpy ride, and its not as soft as the powerbook :)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
[QUOTE

The Intrepid2 should be able to handle the higher 200Mhz bus speed of the 7448, while the iBooks old controller likely will not.

The major differences are not the I/O, but the actual chipset used.
[/QUOTE]

What exactly does this mean about the chipset? Does this mean that there is a slowdown in how fast a hard drive runs or how much memory can be accessed? I am sure i'm totally wrong but I'm trying to understand the differences, dumbie I know.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
California said:
What exactly does this mean about the chipset? Does this mean that there is a slowdown in how fast a hard drive runs or how much memory can be accessed? I am sure i'm totally wrong but I'm trying to understand the differences, dumbie I know.
Basically yes, the Intrepid was using an ATA66 interface for the Optical drive and plain DDR memory bus -- basically technology that has been around since the DDR FP iMac G4 was introduced using the Intrepid chipset.

The Intrepid2 updated the FSB (likely), added DDR2, switched to ATA100 for both HD and Optical drive, etc. there are also some other changes we may never know about and some hidden features.

Basically Apple cannot add a native SATA drive to the new PowerBooks unless they add a PCI-to-SATA controller or update the chipset -- the chipset also likely cannot handle PCIexpress like the new iMac/PowerMac (until the chipset is changed again -- very unlikely until the Intel switch).

Some I/O can be updated using the PCI bus, some cannot be added until the chipset changes.

The Chipset is just some of the core I/O and capabilities -- but Apple is quite good at making several different machines using a single chipset.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
When i run system profiler on my iBook it shows the Machine Model as a "powerbook" to this day i am not sure why but considering all i bought mine for was to make my graduate studies easier (Office, Web research, mail) the cheaper iBook was a great choice :)

Ed

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 788

alangyssler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
Buffalo Grove, IL
The biggest nail in the coffin for me is the difference in screen resolution. The iBook tops at 1024x768 on it's own display (yeah, there's the screen spanning hack, and all), and the PowerBook now goes way higher than the iBook.

While I like the outside shell of the iBook better (more durable, I feel), I'd rather have the ability to run a higher resolution on the display.

Oh, I wish I had bought a PowerBook instead.... Now I'm thinking about selling the iBook for a PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.