Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get a refurbished 4th Gen. iPod from the Apple site. The 30GB Photo is exactly the same price as the 40GB monochrome model. I could really care less about the color screen (I would have no use for it), but as I understand, the battery life is better on the Photo models, which makes me lean towards that model a bit.

However, I have a lot of music and 10 extra GB would be nice.

Are there any other differences at all between the 4G Photo and monochrome models other than the color screen and improved battery life of the Photo? I am most concerned about sound quality, as well as whether the battery life difference is really noticeable or not.

Thank you for any advice! ;)

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
alexf said:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get a refurbished 4th Gen. iPod from the Apple site. The 30GB Photo is exactly the same price as the 40GB monochrome model. I could really care less about the color screen (I would have no use for it), but as I understand, the battery life is better on the Photo models, which makes me lean towards that model a bit.

However, I have a lot of music and 10 extra GB would be nice.

Are there any other differences at all between the 4G Photo and monochrome models other than the color screen and improved battery life of the Photo? I am most concerned about sound quality, as well as whether the battery life difference is really noticeable or not.

Thank you for any advice! ;)

sound quality is, hands down, the best on the new ipod. however, i'd still recommend the photo. you never know if you'll want to store photos or album art or whatnot. there's no physical size difference, and although i can't speak to the battery life, i'd still stick with the photo. 10GB more space can do alot, like if you get more music or you need to transfer some big files. its your decision, but that's my input.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
asherman13 said:
sound quality is, hands down, the best on the new ipod. however, i'd still recommend the photo. you never know if you'll want to store photos or album art or whatnot. there's no physical size difference, and although i can't speak to the battery life, i'd still stick with the photo. 10GB more space can do alot, like if you get more music or you need to transfer some big files. its your decision, but that's my input.

In what way is sound quality better on the new iPods?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.