Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Have been searching around but didn't find anything, so here's my question:

In disk utilities when you partition a harddrive you get to chose between a number of different formats - one of them is called "Free Space"! What is that??

The answer I'm hoping for is:"that means both mac and pc can read it!", but I have a hunch I won't get it...

A

ps the thread title "diformat" is a result of pressing a number of random keys by accident and not being able to edit the title... it almost sounds like it really means something though :rolleyes:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Sorry, "free space" is exactly that--space with no format at all on it. That means it can't be used to store any data. Its purpose is to leave a partition open to be formatted at a later date (or, in a handfull of cases, to leave a small chunk of free space after a partition to allow for conversion into another format later). It's totally useless to all but a tiny handfull of people who would already know what it was for.

If you really want a disk to be readable by both Windows and the Mac, you could use the MS-DOS filesystem (I think that's an option in there), which is I believe actually FAT-32. It won't be blazingly fast on a Mac, there are limits to the flienames you can use, and I think there's a relatively low maximum size for partitions in this format, but it will work if you really need it. It's more useful for cross-platform removeable media, though--things like pendrives and Zip disks.

NTFS would probably be a better cross-platform option, but I don't think OSX can read that.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
MacOS can *read* NTFS but it cannot write it, so yeah, it's pretty much out. :( Unless there's some kind of add-on software for that? I've shared Fat32 partitions before though, without too much trouble, but never hosted on the Mac (as opposed to the PC)....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.