Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctt209

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2004
hey guys!

I just switched today and bought a 12" powerbook. the weird thing is that several times today, if i have some apps running, say safari for example, and then click on direct connect, it would take 10 minutes for the thing to load! In the mean time, i am forced to entertain myself with the spinning circle of color. And sometimes it would freeze up the OS and I;d have to manually shut it down. Since i'm new to the whole mac experience I was just wondering if this is a common problem, or if there was something wrong with my powerbook specifically. It's really bugging me that panther crashes so easily, since i decided on the mac for its reknowned stability.

fyi, i have 256 mb of ram, if that's the reason for the freezes.

thanks in advance,
tony

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
you definately should upgrade the ram as OS X needs as much ram as you feel like you can throw at it. However, that being said, you machine should not be crashing to the point of needing a restart or anything like that. More RAM will reduce appearances of the spinning beachball, but you whole system should not crash. Maybe some one can provide a specific answer on that front. Unfortunately, I am out of ideas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.